Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a very good point. If Musk and Tesla did not put in a supposed herculean effort at the end of Q1, it could have been much, much worse. No doubt that this is bad, but you don't really see the bull investors or analysts abandoning ship, but you would have if deliveries were 30-40k. Tesla may just sneak by here and survive and prosper the rest of the year. Keep perspective folks 63k vs 75k consensus is bad but not a disaster. Even Dan Ives (Wedbush) pointed out that M3 beat the whisper number.

And as I mentioned earlier, this is one of the problems. They have to get away from this end-of-quarter panic and smooth-out distribution to all markets. In the first quarter they do this, there will be a hit, after that it will become more steady-state.

This is a very good point. If Musk and Tesla did not put in a supposed herculean effort at the end of Q1, it could have been much, much worse. No doubt that this is bad, but you don't really see the bull investors or analysts abandoning ship, but you would have if deliveries were 30-40k. Tesla may just sneak by here and survive and prosper the rest of the year. Keep perspective folks 63k vs 75k consensus is bad but not a disaster. Even Dan Ives (Wedbush) pointed out that M3 beat the whisper number.

The eye opening thing this quarter is that analysts seems to have a better grasp of the supply chain now as their numbers arecpretty accurate. Better than the usual estimation models. As tsla matures and start using the traditional delivery routes, they'd get more accurate.

It's a well-known fact that VW's massive FUD campaign in the 80s and 90s, together with EU-wide help of media – most notably the German car magazine "Auto Bild" and its sister magazines – positioned the formerly well-respected Opel brand in such a way that they became toxic to most. Actually, Opel is still the laughingstock in the German automotive scene. They have yet to recover from this smear campaign.

A completely different era. Almost nobody reads newspapers anymore.. Elon/Tesla are at the top when it comes to social media. FUD is just a drop in the ocean - it is not even noise.

• Disagree
Reactions: Fred42 and humbaba
For those longs on here who do not follow Papafox's Trading Charts thread just below this one, I highly recommend it. A veteran trader with a gift for analysis and communication is invaluable on these days when short sighted investors and shorts tank the stock. The fundamentals are still great and will reward those who have the fortitude to ride out days like today. Below is a link to his thread:
Papafox's Daily TSLA Trading Charts

The eye opening thing this quarter is that analysts seems to have a better grasp of the supply chain now as their numbers are pretty accurate.

Note that the Alpha Hat numbers have a good track record, they measure U.S. deliveries directly and their methodology is thus independent of VIN registrations. But they are expensive subscriptions for institutional investors.

It's quite possible that many Wall Street analysts had access to the Alpha Hat numbers and knew that U.S. deliveries in February were poor, which is why they could ignore the VINology nonsense (that I was spreading too).

sorry, no way I can keep up with this thread, but with the doom and gloom about the P&D (wasn't <15k S/X expected? That had been my impression anyway) that I've seen in the more recent pages I didn't see any reference to the NoA update[1]. I'm not sure how I feel about it -- seems premature to me as I'd prefer to have a 'beta' that was released widely and worked before allowing users to turn off confirmation, but at the same time I'm anxious to try it out. Here's hoping I get the update before my trip next week, but I'm not counting on it.

1) Introducing a More Seamless Navigate on Autopilot