Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great points. Love the extrapolation comparison and details.
Just one other issue is disposal and costs of spent nuclear fuel besides the environmental issues. I got a good reminder to use blue light blocking glasses

The first public lands issue I was involved with in Utah around 1980 was fighting the first nuclear waste site next to the Needles in Canyonlands National Park. Can they just pick another site.

It totally makes sense to me that Tesla is working on a VR/AR headset. Elon calls the shots on Tesla investments in special projects, and Elon is a gamer.

Although Elon talks a good game about transitioning the world to sustainable energy, and mankind becoming a multiplanetary species, sometimes I think he’d ditch it all to create the ultimate video game experience.

Elon is the world’s greatest entrepreneurial engineer, and a perpetual 12 year old boy. That unique combination screams VR/AR headset.
We also must remember that Elon says they don't do research for the sake of research. If Tesla is doing something with VR then they already have a product in mind.

This is the reason I doubt that Tesla is working on it. Elon has also said he doesn't grok "the metaverse". So unless someone can tell me what killer application Tesla is targeting, I won't find myself getting too excited about any of it.

(And sincerely, I would love to hear ideas about what that killer application would be.)

A VR/AR headset will be a critical component for long transits to Mars and beyond. Think surgeries and complex repairs. And, perhaps, a gateway for neural networking. So this is well within the Mission parameters.
And.... two posts later I get an answer. I'm still not convinced, but it's a good answer nonetheless.

We also must remember that Elon says they don't do research for the sake of research. If Tesla is doing something with VR then they already have a product in mind.

This is the reason I doubt that Tesla is working on it. Elon has also said he doesn't grok "the metaverse". So unless someone can tell me what killer application Tesla is targeting, I won't find myself getting too excited about any of it.

(And sincerely, I would love to hear ideas about what that killer application would be.)

Teleoperation or teleobservation of TeslaBots and Robotaxis.

Especially important imho in TeslaBot’s case.

I was just about to post this video myself. It may be the best, most succinct, explanation of Tesla's advantage over legacy auto. It's well worth 7 minutes of your time.

But rather than focus on the organizational structure, I was going to point out what McElroy calls the "software-defined" vehicle. A lot of people have described a Tesla as a "computer on wheels". I think they say this, half jokingly, because of the big screen. But the "computer on wheels" concept is more true than most people realize. See the video for a really good explanation of the "software-defined" vehicle.

This is the basic reason a Tesla is superior to anything legacy auto has created. A Tesla is a computer first and a vehicle second. Correspondingly, a smart phone is a computer first and a phone second. Legacy auto gets it backward, which leads to difficulty in solving simple problems like over the air updates.

A "software-defined" vehicle is just a fundamentally better car.
Agreed.

The organizational structure of the software development/deployment and computer consolidation that Tesla has pioneered is as important a differentiator as the absence of compartmentalization of the groups designing and building the car the way the Legacy OEMs operate.

Reactions: Usain
And.... two posts later I get an answer. I'm still not convinced, but it's a good answer nonetheless.

If TeslaBot can be operated or observed via VR remotely there is about a million useful tasks you could use this for. Literally millions.

VR teleoperation will probably also be the best/fastest way for users to teach it tasks.

I was just about to post this video myself. It may be the best, most succinct, explanation of Tesla's advantage over legacy auto. It's well worth 7 minutes of your time.

But rather than focus on the organizational structure, I was going to point out what McElroy calls the "software-defined" vehicle. A lot of people have described a Tesla as a "computer on wheels". I think they say this, half jokingly, because of the big screen. But the "computer on wheels" concept is more true than most people realize. See the video for a really good explanation of the "software-defined" vehicle.

This is the basic reason a Tesla is superior to anything legacy auto has created. A Tesla is a computer first and a vehicle second. Correspondingly, a smart phone is a computer first and a phone second. Legacy auto gets it backward, which leads to difficulty in solving simple problems like over the air updates.

The only saving grace that the "Apple in car" approach will not be a Tesla competitor because Apple software will not touch the drivetrain but mainly just focus on the UI. They are as separated as they can be as an individual domain.

If TeslaBot can be operated or observed via VR remotely there is about a million useful tasks you could use this for. Literally millions.

VR teleoperation will probably also be the best/fastest way for users to teach it tasks.

Exactly. To analogize with the sentient robots on wheels….

How does the bot show you what it’s perceiving? In the car, that is the driving visualization.

How is the robot’s movement trained? In the car, it‘s sometimes helpful to have humans using the very same controls the car needs to utilize, and being able to immediately take over when the car makes a mistake.

So you need a similar feedback loop for the bot. It follows AR/VR would be a part of establishing this feedback loop for NN training since we can’t “ride” in the bots.

Some info coming in from the Citizens Event at Giga Berlin:

Output.png

Output of the Cell Facility will be 16 cells per second. 4680

Source:

Should get a Powerwall. Power outs have been due to air conditioners and wild fires increased by fossil fuel use. I think Texas had a very bad outage in the last year. I've lived in San Diego for 50 years on and off.

Have you seen my sig? I have 4.

Texas as a once in 100+ year winter storm. SDG&E can't hide under such a weather event. They simply shut down the power anytime there is high winds, simply because they don't want to be sued again (they lost the last one after being sued for contributing to a wildfire by trees hitting some HVDC lines - rate payers are on the hook for that lawsuit as the settlement was passed on in the form of higher rates).

Reactions: Tommy O

Don't remember where I read it but the basic premise to the Tesla architecture is that every input/output goes back to the central computer.

Good example of how this works is the window switch, it may be cheaper and make more sense to just have the switch act locally on the motor as it is a simple function. Tesla sends a signal to the central computer which then outputs to tell the window to go down. This way they have complete control of everything by software.

When they started having issues with windows freezing in winter they added a quick up/down jog to the windows every time it is below freezing and you "start" the car. Just an example of what you can do with centralized control and software updates. For legacy implementing this kind of fix would likely be impossible with the existing hardware on the car.

One other thing this architecture allowed is a fuseless car. Tesla can detect the high current drawl and shut down a circuit as it is centrally controlled.

Last edited:
@MSMike
if you extrapolate out to 2035 or so, using published data , nukes have a growth rate of roughly 0.5%/year, PV has a growth rate of around a bit over 22%
nukes have been pretty flat the last 20 years.
(University of Virginia had a small reactor on campus, at least in the early 1960's and if there was an "accident" you could dive thru a pool of water to escape the containment building, (yeah)) (what is that blue light? Cherenkov radiation)
plus about 9 years to build a nuclear plant, plus fuel
plus Diablo Canyon Nuke in California is on a major fault, plus South Anna nuke in Virginia is, surprise, near a fault that was discovered when it shook a few years back, etc, etc
edit:
plus as i vaguely recall Chernobyl generated over 100 gigawatts in under 2 weeks when it melted, and one of the reasons it "broke" were bored technicians fooling around in the middle of the night
edit: (for the Americans)
"what melts in the ground and not in your hand?
"Hershey, Pennsylvania" (3 Mile Island nuke reference)
(down the river is Baltimore, Washington DC and Norfolk/Newport News, but it _should_ be diluted by then)

just nuclear and solar in terawatt hours actual generation
View attachment 851338

There were a number of contributing factors that led to the meltdown of the graphite moderated Chernobyl reactor- design flaws, errors in the operating manuals, and operator error. There is an excellent dramatic series (appropriately titled Chernobyl) depicting the events leading up to, during, and after the meltdown available to watch on Amazon prime for anyone interested in that disaster. Complete with chilling soundtrack. Gigawatts are a measure of energy, not radioactivity, btw.

Have you seen my sig? I have 4.

Texas as a once in 100+ year winter storm. SDG&E can't hide under such a weather event. They simply shut down the power anytime there is high winds, simply because they don't want to be sued again (they lost the last one after being sued for contributing to a wildfire by trees hitting some HVDC lines - rate payers are on the hook for that lawsuit as the settlement was passed on in the form of higher rates).

California’s grid is a dumpster fire of cronyism and NIMBYism. It massively underserves it customers in almost every way.

California (pop.38m) produces ~200TWh of electricity every year. This is less than Alabama +Mississippi produces with ~8m people. California has to import ~100TWh from neighboring states. Texas (pop.30m) is on track to produce ~550 TWh this year.

Now you might say this is because California is superior on renewables? No. Texas produced 117 TWh of wind+solar generation last year, and so far this year generation is up 33% YoY (solar generation is up a whopping 70% this year!). California produced 69 TWh last year and YoY H1 it’s only up ~13%, which is half the YoY national average. Hell, next year Texas will likely produce more wind&solar electricity than Californian *total* production of electricity!

If California really wants to go EV, they are going to have to pull their heads out of their NIMBY asses. Outside of chronically underserving their power needs requiring roughly double the national average prices in order to drop demand to the level of supply, California has much less heating/cooling requirements than other states, and much, much less energy intensive heavy industry. This means however, that on a percentage basis production increases to supply a fully electric car fleet are going to be much harder for Cali than Texas:

Switching both CA and TX to full EV will probably require both states to increase electricity generation by ~150 TWh. This is equal to 3/4s of CAs current total generation! 150 GWh is only a 27% increase for Texas. It gets even worse for Cali though when you compare that number to the rate that Wind+Solar generation is increasing. W+S generation will likely be up by about 36TWh in Texas this year, but only 10TWh in California, meaning it’d take Texas about 4 years to make enough generation at today’s rate of increases to power their entire vehicle fleet… it’d take Cali 15 years!

NIMBYs right now (mostly on the left) are currently the single biggest obstacle to decarbonization.

Last edited:
Some info coming in from the Citizens Event at Giga Berlin:

Output of the Cell Facility will be 16 cells per second. 4680

Another of Elon's predictions is close to becoming reality (surprise surprise);

Elon describes superfast battery production as "bullets through machine gun"​

How many rounds per second does an Uzi shoot?

Some Uzi models are capable of firing up to 1,700 rounds per minute, or almost 30 rounds per second, according to the manufacturer's website