Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Consider this one debunked: This to tell the system it is to act as if it is driving on public roads. These testing facilities has roads that are not treated as public roads otherwise.

I know this as we had to solve this problem for the first NCAP tests back in 2014.
I have said this many times and I will say this again. @thegreenonly in twitter is a drama queen (or king). He is knowledgeable, no doubt, but has the tendency to throw this kind of shade or a bone to the haters and FUDsters and revels in the attention.

I have said this many times and I will say this again. @thegreenonly in twitter is a drama queen (or king). He is knowledgeable, no doubt, but has the tendency to throw this kind of shade or a bone to the haters and FUDsters and revels in the attention.
That's all true, but he does uncover interesting morsels now and then by hacking the Tesla firmware. Would you expect a hacker to be benevolent?

• Disagree
Reactions: Electroman
Looks like Tesla may have stopped doing "the Wave", meaning Q3 deliveries could be lower than normal quarterly production as more of the Q3 production will be delivered in Q4.

Yeah I said they are using the docks as their logistical lot now. I expect more shipping throughout this quarter. If their production rate is now at 100k/month, it's not easy to deliver that many cars within China using trailers. They need to move a bunch using boats now.

Btw Chinese Mid Autumn Festival Sept 10-13th. Expect some downtime/or drop in production.

By definition an "open road" is one that isn't on private property and anyone traveling on it has to follow the local, state, and national laws.

Any L4 geofencing can be on private property but it can also be on public roads (the open roads).
Yeah but I was assuming you were asking if Mobile Eye system is an "open road" system when you questioned if it's first of it's kind. My understanding is you think their context of "open road" is that it drives anywhere, not geofenced open roads. Geofenced open public roads that are L4 are being done by Waymo, Cruise, and a bunch of other Chinese companies like Baidu. It's not new but I thought you already knew that.

The tweet is pretty clear that the guy was announcing Mobile Eye for the first time is doing L4 on geofenced open(public) roads.

Yeah but I was assuming you were asking if Mobile Eye system is an "open road" system when you questioned if it's first of it's kind. My understanding is you think their context of "open road" is that it drives anywhere, not geofenced open roads. Geofenced open public roads that are L4 are being done by Waymo, Cruise, and a bunch of other Chinese companies like Baidu. It's not new but I thought you already knew that.

The tweet is pretty clear that the guy was announcing Mobile Eye for the first time is doing L4 on geofenced open(public) roads.
Have you never seen me post here before? My account was created about 10 years ago. I know what the terms mean and who can do what.

I was tossing out a conversational softball. Your response was to bat it down as hard as you could and get a single. I was looking for someone to knock it out of the park and be constructive not dismissive. Or at least if you want to be dismissive direct that at Mobile Eye, not at me.

If all you want to do is dismiss my softball I'll just leave it at that, maybe someone with better manners will respond to the tweet in an informative manner.

Have you never seen me post here before? My account was created about 10 years ago. I know what the terms mean and who can do what.

I was tossing out a conversational softball. Your response was to bat it down as hard as you could and get a single. I was looking for someone to knock it out of the park and be constructive not dismissive. Or at least if you want to be dismissive direct that at Mobile Eye, not at me.

If all you want to do is dismiss my softball I'll just leave it at that, maybe someone with better manners will respond to the tweet in an informative manner.
To make it clear, the tweet is saying this is the first time Mobileye is doing L4 testing on American roads (as opposed to previously they were only doing it in Europe and other countries):
"marking the first time our future Level 4 self-driving solution is hitting American roads"

The tweet is not saying Mobileye is the first company to do it (as you seemed to have interpreted it). Obviously plenty of other companies have done it before them (big ones being Waymo, Cruise).

Note the whole discussion about the definition of public or open roads is irrelevant to his announcement, as he did not specify what type of roads he is talking about (even though common sense would assume it would be on public roads).

Reactions: hiroshiy and EinSV

I apologize if I came off as rude. I assumed you already knew the other autonomous companies that already has L4 running on American roads, so then I went in another direction assuming you probably didn't know L4 means geofencing so it's not a generalized solution? I was going to talk about Mobile Eye also uses Lidar to put them further into the class of Waymo/Cruise vs Tesla if those answers were not satisfactory.

To make it clear, the tweet is saying this is the first time Mobileye is doing L4 testing on American roads (as opposed to previously they were only doing it in Europe and other countries):
"marking the first time our future Level 4 self-driving solution is hitting American roads"

The tweet is not saying Mobileye is the first company to do it (as you seemed to have interpreted it). Obviously plenty of other companies have done it before them (big ones being Waymo, Cruise).

Note the whole discussion about the definition of public or open roads is irrelevant to his announcement, as he did not specify what type of roads he is talking about (even though common sense would assume it would be on public roads).
I was thinking, if every company is HDmapping their own solution and no one is sharing or merging these data because they are competitors, then how will any of these companies make any money when the operating cost is so high?

Say cruise AND waymo are all HD mapping, geofencing SF right now. So now they have to share the same amount of customer base but HD mapped the same place twice, and has 2x the safety operators and stuff. Just because you HDmapped 2x doesn't mean you get 2x the customer base. This entire business model is equivalent to putting money in a furnace.

I have lived in San Diego for 6 years. In that time I have experienced more power outages in those 6 years than in 40+ years of living in other places in the USA, including Texas and the East Coast.

Longest power outage here was for 36+ hours.

Should get a Powerwall. Power outs have been due to air conditioners and wild fires increased by fossil fuel use. I think Texas had a very bad outage in the last year. I've lived in San Diego for 50 years on and off.

Reactions: Skryll
Virtual grid works and pays $2/kW. The fake news that EVs would stress the grid are the biggest bull stink I've heard. Having Power walls might pay for themselves. This is just the beginning.
Another item that I think I disagree with Elon about is nuclear power plants. San Onofre was going to be shut down and people cried that San Diego would have blackouts but NOT TRUE because many people installed roof top solar which worked brilliantly. The Utilities are really not public IMHO. BTW the Nuclear Reactor that was to be shut down is on an earthquake fault. Does anyone realize the long term damages to the area and costs(Japan Fukushima nuclear disaster , Grenoble and 3 mile island)?
The Climate crisis is getting worse and people still think they are entitled to burn up the world. Now would be the time to stop this suicidal progress.

Couldn't edit post Chernobyl disaster as we were traveling on I5 north by the mountain fire but seeing Teslas being shipped north.

• Disagree
Reactions: transpondster
I keep records by hand on Tesla stock. My records regarding the previous split show that the stock was volatile on the day (8/31/20) the split was enacted. By the next day (9/01/20) this stock calmed a bit and closed at 475 and slumped after that.

Don't you think the $5B Cap Raise that Tesla announced on Sep 1st, 2020 had something to do with TSLA action?

Here's the Pre-market chart from Sep 1st, 2020. Any guess what time Tesla's announced the Cap Raise?

TSLA.2020-09-01.17-05.png

So sure, TSLA Closed near $475 on Sep 1st, but it was down -11.4% intraday from $536 post-split (also an all-time high) in the Pre-market just before Tesla announced the Cap Raise. That's a significant move, and it bottomed out at $325 just 4 days later. That's a 40% drop!

Tesla did not recover to $533/share until after Nov 16 at 500 p.m. (when S&P announced that they would add TSLA to the S&P 500):

Tesla Set to Join S&P 500 - Nov 16, 2020 - press.spglobal.com

sc.TSLA.200-DayChart.2020-12-31.20-00.png

So the evidence suggests that TSLA was heavily manipulated, and that only forced buying by large players (MMs, brokers, Institutional Investors) leads to significant step-changes in TSLA SP.

We've seen this play out again and again over the years (indeed, each H1 in the past 6 years), like some kind of staged, scripted drama, performed in an ancient, drawn-out, and ritualistic manner... it's like...

Kabuki.