Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fast forward months later, all these "Person familiar with the matter" shows up one by one just like clockwork. Hope these shenanigans will end with Twitter purchase (Or not, will soon find out)

shutterstock_790548355.jpg

As I've mentally gone through the alphabet and a few numbers, I find myself leaning towards the Model i. Gotta be lower case. Then a listing of the non truck vehicles could be iS3XY or S3XYi...
Kinda fits, whaddya think?

Kinda confusing with the BMW i3? I still like "Model 2" personally, but that's just my internal placeholder for now. I recall when Elon switched the factory nomenclature from GF1, GF3, GF4 to Giga Nevada, Giga Shanghai, Giga Berlin. That felt kinda weird if there were going to be 100 Gigafactories total.

Turns out, that's about the time Tesla decided that building fewer, larger factories was the way forward because its the best way to use scarce engineering resources. I think over the past year, we've seen Tesla evolve on car lineup plans too. Now, I think they intend fewer, larger-volume models. So, a truck, a van, a compact car, and a taxi, then I think were mostly* covered.

TL;dr So I expect we'll see a 'Berlinetta' and a 'Peeking Duck', plus a 'Van Go(gh)', and of course JOHNNY CAB! :D

Cheers!
*gotta have a Tee-bike too! Maybe at Berlin?

Last edited:
Once bank funding secured, no reason to sell any TSLA right?

No, unfortunately that is not right. There are both debt components and equity components to this deal. Banks committed debt and are obligated to follow through (at least until April). Equity dollars are what Elon is trying to line up. If he can't secure enough, he potentially needs to sell shares to shore up any shortfall.

If debt financing fell through, the financing contingency might allow Elon to back out of the deal.

I believe there is no financing contingency on the equity piece. That is what is causing all this angst about his having to sell more shares.

Kinda confusing with the BMW i3? I still like "Model 2" personally, but that's just my internal placeholder for now. I recall when Elon switched the factory nomenclature from GF1, GF2, GF3 to Giga Nevada, Giga Shanghai, Giga Berlin. That felt kinda weird if there were going to be 100 Gigafactories total.

Turns out, that's about the time Tesla decided that fewer, larger factories was the way forward because its the best way to use scarce engineering resources. I think over the past year, we've seen Tesla evolve on car lineup plans too. Now, I think they intend fewer, larger-volume models. So, a truck, a van, a compact car, and a taxi, then I think were mostly* covered. ;)

Cheers!
*gotta have a Tee-bike too! Maybe at Berlin?
I must have been subconsciously thinking about that and other cars with a "i" at the end (used to mean fuel injected back in the day, like the 320i). The car with the most initials after it's name wins!

Reactions: FSDtester#1
what is the 3day rule? when EM is allowed to transact after the blackout period?

option trades settle T+1
option EnA settles T+2
(exercises and assignments)

Yes, you're right on the Options settlement period, its one day or T+1.

As far as I know the SEC proposed rule change to 1 day settlement for shares has not passed yet, so shares settlement is still T+2.

Of course, the "3-day rule" isn't a securities regulation, just a trading rule-of-thumb:

"In short, the 3-day rule dictates that following a substantial drop in a stock's share price — typically high single digits or more in terms of percent change — investors should wait 3 days to buy."​

Thanks for setting us straight. :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Yes, you're right on the Options settlement period, its one day or T+1.

As far as I know the DCC proposed rule change to 1-Day settlement for shares has not passed yet, so shares settlement is still T+2.

Of course, the "3-day rule" isn't a securities regulation, just a trading rule-of-thumb:

"In short, the 3-day rule dictates that following a substantial drop in a stock's share price — typically high single digits or more in terms of percent change — investors should wait 3 days to buy."​

Thanks for setting us straight. :)

Cheers!
ahh that 3day rule.
thx

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
No, unfortunately that is not right. There are both debt components and equity components to this deal. Banks committed debt and are obligated to follow through (at least until April). Equity dollars are what Elon is trying to line up. If he can't secure enough, he potentially needs to sell shares to shore up any shortfall.

If debt financing fell through, the financing contingency might allow Elon to back out of the deal.

I believe there is no financing contingency on the equity piece. That is what is causing all this angst about his having to sell more shares.

The BoD could simply buy from $5B to $10B of Elon's shares at market prices (typically a Closing price) in a prearranged party-to-party trade. This satifies the publicly-available best price requirement, and transfers all those shares directly to Tesla's treasury, while reporting the transaction to the Exchange in the due course of business.

Shortzes keep driving down the SP, and they are going to burn themselves... :p

Cheers!

The BoD could simply buy from $5B to $10B of Elon's shares at market prices (typically a Closing price) in a prearranged party-to-party trade. This satifies the publicly-available best price requirement, and transfers all those shares directly to Tesla's treasury, while reporting the transaction to the Exchange in the due course of business.

Cheers!
That would be a fantastic outcome.

Getting rid of this TWTR overhang can't come fast enough.

Cheers!
They, shortzes, should buy some Burnt Hair perfume and help Elon buy Twitter.

Cheers!
The howls of “fwaud” from our TSLAQ friends would be epic.

Assuming he needs more cash, I don’t see how doing that immediately doesn’t help both Tesla shareholders and Elon.

Surely you’re not serious - suddenly putting 25% - 50% of Tesla’s cash and cash equivalents (per their Q3 deck) towards an immediate stock buyback directly from Musk should not even be in the realm of consideration by the BoD. A smaller amount, with sufficient 3rd party due diligence to advise the non-conflicted board members could certainly be considered, but I’m still hoping that Musk is able to either a) secure enough funding to avoid the (currently all too real) risk of him needing to sell more TSLA, or b) walk away from the deal in some form (unlikely but still my preferred resolution).

USA government (land of the free) preventing a US Citizen from buying a US business that didnt want to sell that he didnt want to buy is peak 2022.

Starlink is a private company if they want to withhold free services why should they not be allowed? Not sure Elon actually said he would end services tho.

Obviously the Biden Admin is somewhat hostile to Elons companies..
Pretty sure the US government is fairly hostile to any company getting in the way of national security interests (China chip sanctions, technology export, TikTok divestiture).