Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because as has always been the case, value, convenience, and price always determine demand.......and no one beats Tesla in those regards. And this is before the IRA effects take hold that drop the price for consumers while at the same time adding margin to Tesla's bottom line which would then allow them to drop the price of the vehicles even more while maintaining 30% gross margins.
I don't think Tesla will be able to lower prices for models that qualify under the IRA. If anything, prices will go up. We could easily see US margins approach 40%.

I am just staggered every time I think about the implications of the IRA. Tesla will be gulping up so much taxpayer money it will be like drinking from a fire hose.

And let us not forget that the IRA mandates that the government publish the specifics about the regulations before the end of this year. I suspect we will see it before Christmas.

I don't think Tesla will be able to lower prices for models that qualify under the IRA. If anything, prices will go up. We could easily see US margins approach 40%.

I am just staggered every time I think about the implications of the IRA. Tesla will be gulping up so much taxpayer money it will be like drinking from a fire hose.

And let us not forget that the IRA mandates that the government publish the specifics about the regulations before the end of this year. I suspect we will see it before Christmas.
I don't necessarily think Tesla would lower prices. But my point is that Tesla has pricing power and margin power. If there was material hit to demand from Elon's antics, combined with the effects of the IRA, Tesla could lower prices considerably + the consumer would get their own $7500 credit and Tesla would still maintain their 30% gross margins..........value/price is the ultimate determination of demand and when you're the company that has all of the margin/profits and your competitors don't.....you have tons of flexibility.

And yes, the IRA effects when related to Tesla are still hard to believe. It's a bill that seems like it was tailor made for Tesla while making it much harder for the rest of the competition.

No other ships expected? So I guess they are not unwinding the wave this Q because China's subsidies are ending?
From what I understand this is the last ship that will make it to Europe in time (Dec 22) to deliver cars in Q4. Doesn´t mean there couldn´t be another ship leaving soon. There has been 8 ships leaving Shanghai in the last month (2/week average) so still to early to rule out ships are continuing for delivery in Q1.

But I also wouldn´t think they´d unwind the wave all at once.

Elon wants rates cut now, the Fed isn't even talking about pausing yet much less cutting rates lol

75-point hikes weren't going to continue forever
The next CPI print comes in a day or two before the next Fed meeting. There's a very high likelihood that CPI print will come in not just cool, but cold. Giving the Fed all it needs to announce a .25 or .5 hike and say they're done raising rates.

The next CPI print comes in a day or two before the next Fed meeting. There's a very high likelihood that CPI print will come in not just cool, but cold. Giving the Fed all it needs to announce a .25 or .5 hike and say they're done raising rates.
That's still not cutting

I think they're watching employment far more than they're watching CPI right now

That's still not cutting

I think they're watching employment far more than they're watching CPI right now
The Fed is not just going to flip from raising .75 to cutting. That's a completely unrealistic hope so not sure why bother even mentioning.

A Fed pivot where they only do .25 increase and then say no more cutting......which is considered a pivot....is what the market has been waiting on. Need I remind everyone that the Fed Fun rate is not some astronomical number. The economy and Wall St did just fine all throughout the 90's while the Fed Fund rate ranged between 3.5% and 5%.

The Fed is not just going to flip from raising .75 to cutting. That's a completely unrealistic hope so not sure why bother even mentioning.

A Fed pivot where they only do .25 increase and then say no more cutting......which is considered a pivot....is what the market has been waiting on. Need I remind everyone that the Fed Fun rate is not some astronomical number. The economy and Wall St did just fine all throughout the 90's while the Fed Fund rate ranged between 3.5% and 5%.
market is happy with a .5, will go bonkers if it is just .25

It's worth mentioning because this is where the thought process started

Nice thread detailing some possible additional tax credits from IRA amendment for building Superchargers.

• 30% tax credit.
  • Limited raised from $30k to $100k
  • If stall cost is $75k, Tesla will received $25k credit.
  • Retroactive to start of 2022, so Tesla could recognize ~ $100 million in Q4 for this year.
  • Doesn't include the credits for energy storage systems (Megapack battery backups).

So yeah, basically Tesla's entire business model is going to be financially supported by the U.S. government. Terrible investment.
With all this, I understand why Tesla is opening up the network. Doesn’t mean I like it, though.

Nice thread detailing some possible additional tax credits from IRA amendment for building Superchargers.

• 30% tax credit.
  • Limited raised from $30k to $100k
  • If stall cost is $75k, Tesla will received $25k credit.
  • Retroactive to start of 2022, so Tesla could recognize ~ $100 million in Q4 for this year.
  • Doesn't include the credits for energy storage systems (Megapack battery backups).

So yeah, basically Tesla's entire business model is going to be financially supported by the U.S. government. Terrible investment.
But Ford and GM got photo opps.