Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It might have just been convenient to use another charger. We love the supercharger network and it has never failed us. But on our cross Canada trailer trip there were often times when it was just more convenient to use other networks. Or sometimes when we wanted a slower charger for lunch. Or sometimes when trailer access is better. Lots of reasons to consider other charge networks. View attachment 889564
Yes but don't the others use additives? It's not a clean burn. 🤷‍♂️
Only half joking... what if a new trend was to post % clean energy on EV pumps. Could be useful... could even catch on to drive improvements, even locally.

I'm not a tesla investor, but wonder, is there anyone still hodling tsla?

You wonder if anyone still holds TSLA? No, nobody is holding TSLA right now. We are so fed up with Elon that we didn't even bother to give our shares away to someone else, we just requested paper stock certificates and then had a bonfire. So TSLA is owned by no one now. I hope this answers your question. /s

Don't you have something better to do?

What is coming for 2023?

Not the stuff we know - Cybertruck, more Giga factories, IRA kicks in, etc..

That's not what I mean, for years Tesla has been doing the opposite of sandbagging; announcing cars with long wait times, talking about what they are going to do and then doing it... albeit later than expected.

I see 2023 as the year that Tesla starts sucker punching Wallstreet.

We have been given some breadcrumbs, but unlike Hansel and Gretel have not allowed ourselves to follow them.

Tesla CN legal (their president) stepped down yesterday, has been in the USA for a while now helping at Freemont, Sparks, Reno, Austin..
That's probably nothing... right?

Both Elon and Franz have talked about the best thing they are working on (hint, it's not the CT) but they can't reveal yet...
That's probably nothing too, right?

Tesla Energy is making it's own Giga Energy factory concept in Lathrop - which was built and scaled in months (not years) and is cranking out utility scale Mega Packs with good and going to great margins...
They will probably not build anymore of those right?

Tesla insurance sure seems to be in quite a few states now... and expanding to more and creating a complete eco system for recurring revenue.
But hey, no one really like recurring revenue, right?

What else is there, that I don't know about? I bet there is more and it seems that Tesla is just going to do it, let it hit the 10k and 10Q's and keep it moving.

The only other thing is, and I have literally no idea why it bothers me, Burnt Hair - by Singed...
Coming Q1 of 2023
Exactly my thoughts. I definitely think teslas strategy is changing to one of staying quiet on future developments for longer. Elon is clearly not worried, and neither are the board, and they are definitely ACTING like vast expansion and growth is coming. Talk of lithium refineries, mexico factory, maybe canada factory, and upgrading of shanghai for more production...

I do think something is coming. Maybe a long-overdue refresh of the model 3. Maybe front/rear cast plus heat pump yada yada. Maybe a refreshed model 3 will be WAY cheaper to build?

I think there may be internal resistance to announcing anything new before cybertruck and semi are in serious production, because of the inevitable headlines. I do think work is likely properly underway on something new we dont even know about yet.

You wonder if anyone still holds TSLA? No, nobody is holding TSLA right now. We are so fed up with Elon that we didn't even bother to give our shares away to someone else, we just requested paper stock certificates and then had a bonfire. So TSLA is owned by no one now. I hope this answers your question. /s

Best part of the bonfire was when we took turns throwing our useless Tesla Cars into the flames one by one. They were paperweights anyway!

Man, those batteries can burn!

I'm not a tesla investor, but wonder, is there anyone still hodling tsla? The way I see it, one can easily double the money (or number of stocks) by selling now and getting back in at 50% and the way the overall markets are going, it seems likely.
... said every short seller wondering if there's any more to be taken away.

In case you're actually curious, I've had the same number of shares since the split, and about the same before that adjusted, give or take a 100.
I sold a chunk in '21 to pay off some things and invest in my own business, then a little more in Oct to pay some more taxes on those proceeds (ouch!). The rest is coffee money trades in/out.

Last edited:
Not surprising that CAPEX is so low. They have one factory and not much product development since at core Polestar are badge-engineered Volvos. They do have some differences in packaging but not much. Polestar are built on Geely/Volvo platforms and built in Gelly/Volvo factories, except for a single showcase in Chengdu:

Think of them as analogues of Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, Chevrolet/GMC. Even Hyundai/Kia is more differentiated. VW/Skoda/Seat are nearly identical but have different national histories and factories.

That really explains why Capex is so low. Geely loves multiple versions of everything with multiple brands.
Does Geely still control Polestar? Is Polestar considered part of the Geely conglomerate? I know that in some Asian countries, subsidiaries are sometimes controlled with lower than the 50% ownership that is typical in the West. For example, the various chaebols.

If so, then perhaps Geely can paint any results it wishes. So read the financial statements with caution.

Last edited:
... He has to sell some of them to get his salary out in a form that he can spend, this is not his initial investment of millions of dollars, it's his paycheck.
Indeed, after all, what's the point of awarding him stock options/tranches for Tesla performance if he's never allowed to sell any? Obviously at points along the way he needs to sell some, or let's face it; it's not worth anything, is it? Logic seems to have lost its grasp on some people.

Curious, what is your total cost basis? Its always easier for those who got in very early.

The majority was bought in 2018 and 2019 for an average of 16. But I took about 60% off the table on several occasions between 350 (on the way up) and 250 (on the way down) to pay for my penthouse and my company building, among other things. So that does make it easier for me.

But I still lost 50% of the remainder this year (on paper). That's less than the SP went down because I earned premium by writing calls and puts. And I've been buying recently (650 shares) at prices between 125 and 138. I'm planning on buying 100 more today or tomorrow. I'm not losing any sleep over the big drop. It's only a loss when you sell. And even if I would sell, it's just money. There are much more important things in life.

I do realize that I'm in a luxury position for not having to worry about money and even having the opportunity to invest more. I can see why it's less easy for others.

Mr Macro doesn't seem pleased but TSLA is holding up against them.

It's actually a really good day in Az because it's raining, possibly a week's worth in store. Although I strongly prefer sunshine, it's an even better day as our new roof was just completed yesterday JIT. No more leaks on the drums and PA speaker! Solar panels in a pile, and don't actually need them right now anyway. Perfect timing, I wonder what's next?

Mr Macro doesn't seem pleased but TSLA is holding up against them.

It's actually a really good day in Az because it's raining, possibly a week's worth in store. Although I strongly prefer sunshine, it's an even better day as our new roof was just completed yesterday JIT. No more leaks on the drums and PA speaker! Solar panels in a pile, and don't actually need them right now anyway. Perfect timing, I wonder what's next?
A 5 figure discount on S/X would be wonderful.

Reactions: SOULPEDL
Does Geely still control Polestar? Is Polestar considered part of the Geely conglomerate? I know that in some Asian countries, subsidiaries are sometimes controlled with lower than the 50% ownership that is typical in the West. For example, the various chaebols.

If so, then perhaps Geely can paint any results it wishes. So read the financial statements with caution.
My understanding is: 1) Polestar was split off. 2) Haven't heard how much stock Greely owns or doesn't own.

It appears some people hit their breaking point with yesterday's SP action.
I guess everyone has a point where they just lose it.
Like if someone put their hands on one of my kids... I pity that person because I would be blinded by rage and would not care about the consequences.
With all due respect, I would never compare the SP of any company to the hypothetical above. So let's try and keep things in perspective moving forward.
It's $$... most of us, God willing have the ability to make more. We will if we are patient. HODL seems like the best plan for me and my family.

I think I still have an "old GM" stock cert, worthless since the bankruptcy. Should toss it in the wood stove.