Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, doesn't make a lot of sense, however they conveyed it's a conservative guide. What happens when Tesla loosely guide aggressively with their 50% yoy growth? All we hear is miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss@ 1.31M

You know, as a stock investor what matters is revenue growth. And that was 51% YoY in 2022 during a very challenging year.

jan25short.jpg

So, the Wall Street pirates were working multiple growth stocks today to end the rally. At TSLA, they weren't very successful but look at the 68% of selling tagged to shorts, they certainly were trying. You seldom see percent of selling tagged to shorts get this high. Instead of holding TSLA back, the pirates ended up with TSLA doing well on guidance and lifting futures for the whole NASDAQ tomorrow. I call it poetic justice.

They are playing it safe for a change. Whenever they give the guidance they expect but then miss it even in the slightest bit, no matter what the reasons, Wall Street punishes them hard.

I think the fact the Tesla team has realized this and is now understating everything they do is a huge boon. Shows they realize how stupid the market and all these "guidance" numbers truly are.

Those of us who really know what Tesla is doing realize how silly 1.8 million for 2023 is, but let Tesla give these super conservative numbers to the "analysts" who don't know any better. Beating "expectations" is always better when it comes to Wall Street.

Sandbagging for the win, looking forward to Q4 2023! 🚀
Wall street doesn't believe Tesla's guide, but calls it a miss because Tesla said it. You see this via every analysts' projections. I have posted here Morgan Stanley's projection for 2022 deliveries after Tesla told them their guide. It was 30% below what Tesla actually did for 2022 and yet everyone still called it a miss.

Why do "demand worries" have to be a construct of people who want Tesla to fail?

Because those are the people who first pushed the idea many years ago and continue to cling to it.

Does Rob Maurer want Tesla to fail, because he's been pointint out Tesla China demand problems since early December and he has connected sources there.
Rob covers the news and needs to address things his viewers and patrons are worried about. And with how much coverage Tesla's "demand problems" have received, it would be really odd for him to not cover that. I don't watch every show he produces but the ones I've seen he has pointed out that there was not enough data to conclude there were demand problems. It's also important to realize that all products have demand limits at various price points. What's relevant here is something I've been hammering on for over a year now, maybe two years, Tesla's pricing power. That is what wipes out concerns about demand problems.

Maybe ask yourself this; what is the last product you can remember that was growing at over 40% every year that had a "demand problem"? Do you think EV sales are a fad or that the competing products are actually competitive with Tesla or available in high enough volumes to even matter? Use your head!

Maybe you should lay off the "us vs. them" hyperbull mentality of spinning everything positive. If there was no demand problem, Tesla wouldn't have lowered car prices as much as 15%+ on some models. Acknolwedging reality is important.

Yes, acknowledging reality is important, I would suggest you are not acknowledging what "demand problem" means. I don't think the word "problem" means what you think it does. It's literally in Tesla's business plan to continually make EV's more affordable. That's their mission! In 2022, Elon actually apologized for the high prices of their cars and said he hoped they would be able to lower them soon. How is that a "problem"? The fact that they can lower prices is one of Tesla's greatest strengths relative to other manufacturers.

There is a definite demand cap with cars at $60k, $50k, and even $40k. The mass market for vehicles is closer to $25k. Whether Tesla gets there with a future platform, with used Teslas, or with Robotaxis revolutionizing cost of ownership perspectives, Tesla has never shied away from that mass electrification challenge. Which is what you're saying with the rest of your post, which we all agree on. But mixing realities with rose-colored statements is just as bad as $TSLAQ.

But we're on a Tesla investor forum where everyone hopes for infinite riches from the stock, so these perma-positive statements like yours are always met with praise and upvotes.

I don't care about upvotes and praise, I care about analysis that makes sense and ensuring the viability of my primary investments. People who worry about demand problems have been wrong since 2012 and Tesla has built a world-class business betting against what those very people said was impossible. So, forgive me if I think those people have been wrong for over a decade and will continue to be wrong. They are not the ones whose investments have increased over 100 fold!

As to me being a hyperbull, I don't know about that. I am one who cautioned about believing the super high margins being projected for Megapacks recently and I was also one who stated my discomfort with how fast and how high Tesla valuations went in 2021. I am a long-term successful investor who doesn't like to see false narratives repeatedly and endlessly rehashed when they don't have any relevance in reality. Demand is not a problem and this largely due to Tesla's organizational and manufacturing efficiency. The machine that builds the machine is the product and no one else can match it. Demand is not the problem; the problem is making enough batteries and vehicles to carry out the mission.

Last edited:
What a cool graphic. Some points:

- Service cost & revenue is a wash, which exactly jibes with Musk's contention that they will not make Service as a profit cost center.

- Energy made a small profit 0.1B over 1.3B revenue = 7% profit. So this puts to rest the astronomical claims of 50% profit on Megapacks by some internet Tesla enthusiasts.
Also shows the relatively minuscule contribution of credits (for now).

Last edited:
Reactions: navguy12
Well sure but 1.8M cars would mean 2023 will be the first time ever that Tesla spends an entire year not growing vehicle output whatsoever. That’s just ludicrous, especially with Tesla also guiding for continued production growth at Berlin and Texas and flat production at Shanghai. They are giving implicitly contradictory guidance. It is mathematically impossible for both statements to be true.

Elon Musk

Well, okay. I mean, our internal production potential is actually closer to two million vehicles, but we were saying 1.8 million, because -- I don't know, it just always seems to be some force majeure thing that happened somewhere on earth. And we don't control if there's like earthquakes, tsunamis, wars, pandemics, et cetera. So, if it's a smooth year, actually, without some big supply chain interruption or massive problem, we actually have the potential to do 2 million cars this year.

Well Tesla guided for decreasing margins for 2023. This severely caps what the share price can reach this year. Earnings between $4 and $5 means relatively low growth, maybe 30% earnings growth at best. Fair share price this year will be around $120.

It could probably top out near $200 as shorts exit realizing profits aren't going to 0, but it's gonna head back down soon after.

Well Tesla guided for decreasing margins for 2023. This severely caps what the share price can reach this year. Earnings between $4 and $5 means relatively low growth, maybe 30% earnings growth at best. Fair share price this year will be around $120.

It could probably top out near $200 as shorts exit realizing profits aren't going to 0, but it's gonna head back down soon after.
When a company prices its products to drive all other competitors out of business, you need to factor in growth and consequently a higher P/E. Even if overall profit stays the same, share price can double once it becomes clear that the US EV market is increasingly becoming a one-player market.

🤦

A certain amount of comfort in knowing things haven’t changed even a little bit, and yet profoundly sad at the same time.

Added James Cat and Gary Black
Earnings should be out 4:05 pm US eastern time (9:05pm GMT).

View attachment 899758

So it's interesting that the average of these 8 Retail predictions for non-GAAP EPS was $1.199 which was actually closer to the number Tesla reported ($1.19) than any other single prediction. Wisdom of the Crowd, wot? :D

The Wisdom of the Wall St. crowd? Not so much! (they were off by 7 cents per share, which was 5.9% too low).

Well Done Retail Longs!

I believe they said operating margins will only be affected in the short term. Seems like it once Berlin/Texas/4680 drag disappears, we should see OM increasing back again.

Okay, explain why anyone would even respond to a post by someone using Toilet Boy as their avatar?

Please, don't feed the 🧌

As for the 50% growth, SMR's post-ER video touches on how it shows in the slide deck that Tesla uses a multi-year horizon for calculating growth which started with 2020 and averages from there. For 2023, 50% lands around 1.7M, so 1.8M is (officially) aiming for more than 50%.

Last edited:
Ignoring the misuse of YoY as annualized 4th Q results, isn't this:
Saying the same as this:
I don’t believe that 1.8M guidance for production. That makes no sense at all, unless that was based on assuming extended factory shutdowns and a total failure of Berlin and Texas to ramp up more.

Q4 production 440k —> 1.76M annualized
  • December holidays at all the factories
  • Production rate of Berlin and Texas at the end of the year was higher than the overall Q4 average, because they’re ramping
Thus, Tesla has guided for zero growth from current production rates. Sure, Tesla, sure…
?

That if 1.8mm vehicles is accurate, then QoQ growth (and thus automotive growth in general) in 2023 is near zero.

Of course, that (GJ Tweet, not Gigapress) ignores energy and FSD and insurance and efficiency gains which can drive greater profits.

Also overlooks CT ramp toward volume production in 2024. 2.0mm productiom gets us 2k/wk additional from both Austin and Berlin putting them at >250k/yr average (half Berlin phase 1 target).