Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because 50% of the country that is not Liberal or concerned about climate change are now willing to give Tesla a chance. They are happy that Elon has ended the one way censorship that was occurring at Twitter and influencing the national conversation. So Conservatives are now paying attention to Elon and discovering how awesome Teslas are as a product.
Tesla owners were already pretty evenly split between Republicans and Democrats before the Twitter deal. And Elon was already under relentless attack from liberal media, which makes conservatives like him more.

But Tesla just makes the best cars. And best cars will sell regardless.

Your thesis is possible. It's logical. But I'm not buying it.

I have to wonder if Tesla's price war forced their hand on this? Too many non-Tesla SUV EV's were going to get crushed under the MY5.

I also wonder if Tesla will simply keep their new prices, thereby keeping the pressure on other OEM's anyway? :D
"Yes Mr. President. We were ok with our own mid-size SUVs being excluded because our volume is low and it would hurt us but prevent Tesla from gaining a ton of market share. We had no idea they could or would cut prices so much in response. We are dying out here. Please adjust."

Or the IRS realized that the previous guidance was stupid and decided to fix it.

Seems all Model Y now qualify under the $80000 MSRP for the tax credit. No more 5 or 7 seats difference:

Haha, yeah, for now (Treasury's gambit backfired big-time, now Ford is struggling). Let's wait and see what happens with Treasury's battery materials sourcing requirments, due sometime in March (what a way to ruin a railroad).... :p

I’m starting to think the IRS/Treasury is playing the auto industry here, changing the MSRP cap definitions and adding $25k to all these limits after the big narrative about the EV price war starting?

This might help the competitors more than anything at this point

The ball is in Tesla’s court. They can choose to raise prices to improve margins or maintain the current prices to drive out competition. Either way Tesla wins. The auto industry conspired with Congress to beat Tesla, and after Tesla’s response they had to capitulate.

“Burnt Hair” formula revealed.

1675439919885.png

For me Cybertruck has always been about what it can do not what it looks like. It is a giant box car… It’s designed To move things cheaply. That’s its nature, it’s essence.
Speaking of Nature, and Essence; to me, to appreciate the design of the Cybertruck, I correlate it to the beauty of this;

1675439638758.jpeg

Crystalline structures are more commonly found hidden beneath the earth (facets).

Whereas; traditional autos have always mimicked nature found growing above the earth (curves);

1675439798253.jpeg

Both structures are grown; one is carbon based. The other is mineral based. How appropriate that Tesla has designed the Cybertruck in a fashion to move away from a carbon based mindset of what is beautiful.

We're moving into a new era in so many ways. So many paradigms are being transformed.

Last edited:
"Yes Mr. President. We were ok with our own mid-size SUVs being excluded because our volume is low and it would hurt us but prevent Tesla from gaining a ton of market share. We had no idea they could or would cut prices so much in response. We are dying out here. Please adjust."

Or the IRS realized that the previous guidance was stupid and decided to fix it.
I prefer the second explanation.

I haven't seen anyone raise this point, but these price caps are effective for 10 years. It will be increasingly harder to keep prices below 55K for that long, especially if inflation continues.

So yea, I think the IRS just realized the previous guidance was stupid and it went against the spirit of the law as passed.

Seems all Model Y now qualify under the $80000 MSRP for the tax credit. No more 5 or 7 seats difference:

9Ynkg4b.png

Same for other OEM it seems ( I only checked Ford for the Mach-e):
0jXxCF4.png

Edited to add the link: Manufacturers and Models for New Qualified Clean Vehicles Purchased in 2023 or After | Internal Revenue Service
Price hikes incoming!

*Edit to add, in TSLA as well!

The ball is in Tesla’s court. They can choose to raise prices to improve margins or maintain the current prices to drive out competition. Either way Tesla wins. The auto industry conspired with Congress to beat Tesla, and after Tesla’s response they had to capitulate.
Tesla will only raise prices if wait times increase. And I fully expect that to happen.

Raise prices? During the EV Price War?!

This just closed a $7500 gap between these more expensive brands that didn’t qualify and the 3/Y variants that did, so I guess they can increase more and make that an even starker change but who knows.

This is all of course only until component/mineral guidance is provided

So officially US clean vehicle credits are now going to match Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) fuel economy definitions of "SUV". This is what I had originally predicted based on the verbiage in the law that required:

criteria similar to that employed by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of the Energy to determine size and class of vehicles.

Here is an update to the tax credit FAQ released by the government today. Note they specifically mention "certain variants of the 2022 and 2023 Tesla Model Y" gaining eligibility retroactively.

Q6. How do I know if my vehicle is a pickup truck, van, sport utility vehicle (SUV), or other type of vehicle for purposes of determining the applicable manufacturer’s suggested retail price for a vehicle? (updated February 3, 2023)
A6. The vehicle classifications of eligible vehicles are described in IRS Notice 2023-16 issued on February 3, 2022, which applies to clean vehicles placed in service on or after January 1, 2023 and updates a previously issued notice.
A vehicle’s classification for this purpose relates to the classification describing the vehicle on the fuel economy label included as part of the window sticker as well as the EPA Size class displayed on FuelEconomy.gov. Vehicles whose class includes “sport utility vehicle,” “pickup truck,” or “van” on the fuel economy label or on FuelEconomy.gov are considered a sport utility vehicle, pickup truck, or van respectively for this purpose and the $80,000 MSRP limit applies, including for the following vehicle classes:
  • Small Sport Utility Vehicle
  • Standard Sport Utility Vehicle
  • Small Pickup Truck
  • Standard Pickup Truck
  • Minivan
  • Van
If your eligible vehicle is not in one of the classes described in the list above, the $55,000 MSRP limitation applies.
Vehicle classification information to determine the applicable MSRP can also be found at the Clean Vehicle Qualified Manufacturer Requirements page containing a listing of eligible clean vehicles, including fuel cell vehicles, that qualified manufacturers have indicated to the IRS meet the requirements to claim the new clean vehicle credit beginning January 1, 2023.

Q7. If my vehicle’s classification changed since it was purchased can I claim the tax credit? (added February 3, 2023)
A7. Eligible taxpayers who placed in service an eligible vehicle on or after January 1, 2023 may claim the credit on their tax return based on the updated vehicle classification definition provided in Notice 2023-16 issued on February 3, 2022, and the associated MSRP limitation. All vehicles that were classified as an SUV, van, or pickup truck for the purpose of the new clean vehicle tax credit prior to the updated notice continue to be subject to the same $80,000 MSRP limitation. Some vehicles that were previously subject to the $55,000 MSRP limitation are now classified as SUVs and therefore get the benefit of the $80,000 MSRP limitation. The vehicles now classified as SUVs for this purpose include but may not be limited to the 2023 Cadillac Lyriq, the 2022 and 2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E, certain variants of the 2022 and 2023 Tesla Model Y, certain variants of the 2022 and 2023 Volkswagen ID.4, and the 2022 and 2023 Ford Escape Plug-In Hybrid.

This change simplifies things for the consumer too because now there are identical definitions shared by the IRS and EPA. This will be especially helpful for other car companies with inventory on dealership lots, because the EPA window stickers indicate the EPA classification. For example, the ID.4's sticker says it's a "Small SUV":

1675442350094.png

Last edited:
Raise prices? During the EV Price War?!

This just closed a $7500 gap between these more expensive brands that didn’t qualify and the 3/Y variants that did, so I guess they can increase more and make that an even starker change but who knows.

This is all of course only until component/mineral guidance is provided

There is no EV price war. Everybody knows the legacy automakers have no ability to compete with Tesla on price. There’s no war if your enemy is armed with a spoon.

I have to wonder if Tesla's price war forced their hand on this? Too many non-Tesla SUV EV's were going to get crushed under the MY5.

I also wonder if Tesla will simply keep their new prices, thereby keeping the pressure on other OEM's anyway? :D
I have to admit, If I were Elon/Tesla, everything else aside, I would be too prideful to have any appearance of reacting to the IRA. I'd leave the prices as they are for at least a couple of months. The initial show of strength (dropping prices) was good. More show of strength to be indifferent going forward.

Doesn’t that EVSE require the car systems to allow energy to be drawn out of the car? Not many cars allow this.
Yes it does, Any Nissan Leaf from a decade ago to now will do it.

Other car manaufacturers would have to enable the behavior. The page, video, whitepaper say they are working with car manufacturers to add support for this in 2024.

There is no EV price war. Everybody knows the legacy automakers have no ability to compete with Tesla on price. There’s no war if your enemy is armed with a spoon.
Imagine if Tesla hadn’t cut prices here in the US and all these vehicles still would have fit under the $80k limit. This change to the definition is retroactive back to the start of the year too, so anyone who bought starting Jan 1st can now get the credit for vehicles up to these new $80k limits.

Like if someone wanted to go full tin foil hat mode, this almost seems like the worst-case scenario people in here were speculating about when the vehicle definitions first came out. Tesla adapted, and now rules are being changed to help the competition.

Maybe people will now accept price increases on the Y lineup, but I’m dubious