Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speaking of Nature, and Essence; to me, to appreciate the design of the Cybertruck, I correlate it to the beauty of this;

View attachment 902878

Crystalline structures are more commonly found hidden beneath the earth (facets).

Whereas; traditional autos have always mimicked nature found growing above the earth (curves);

View attachment 902879

Both structures are grown; one is carbon based. The other is mineral based. How appropriate that Tesla has designed the Cybertruck in a fashion to move away from a carbon based mindset of what is beautiful.

We're moving into a new era in so many ways. So many paradigms are being transformed.
There remains one exterior mystery. How has the big-assed wiper (BAW) problem been resolved?

None of these photo indicate any solution to wiping that huge expanse of glass and not hosing the aerodynamics lMO.

Raise prices? During the EV Price War?!
There is no price war. And Tesla has already raised the price of the Model Y once since the "big cut". So I see no reason that they wouldn't raise them again when they feel it is appropriate.

I still figure that sometime in March the IRS will release the guidance and a bunch of the tax credits will get cut in half or eliminated altogether. And given the current estimated delivery dates, there are likely already enough orders to fill that time frame. So, people placing orders now likely don't know what tax credit they would qualify for. (Best to buy from inventory.)

Last edited:
I still figure hat sometime in March the IRS will release the guidance and a bunch of the tax credits will get cut in half or eliminated altogether. And given the current estimated delivery dates, there are likely already enough orders to fill that time frame. So, people placing orders now likely don't know what tax credit they would qualify for. (Best to buy from inventory.)
The IRS does not have the authority to just unilaterally decide to cut credits in half or eliminate them altogether. They have to execute the law. There is room for interpretation in the law's language but they're still fundamentally constrained by what Congress passed and the President signed.

This took entirely too much effort to figure out what it was about. Evidently it's an electrolyte for extending Li-Ion battery cell lifetime:

That article points to two new battery patent applications. Honestly this one sounds even more interesting:

The first is for “Elemental metal and carbon mixtures for energy storage devices” and includes a dry electrode film. The film comprises the elemental lithium metal and carbon particles, porous carbon particles, and a solid electrolyte interface(SEI) layer covering exposed portions of the elemental lithium metal.

Paging The Limiting Factor for a deep dive into these patents!

This took entirely too much effort to figure out what it was about. Evidently it's an electrolyte for extending Li-Ion battery cell lifetime:

Did you say electrolytes? I thought plants craved them, not batteries 🤔!

I’m starting to think the IRS/Treasury is playing the auto industry here, changing the MSRP cap definitions and adding $25k to all these limits after the big narrative about the EV price war starting?

This might help the competitors more than anything at this point
Well it sure helps anybody who wants to buy an MY LR 5 seater with options! Should have been designated as an SUV from the start.

Tesla owners were already pretty evenly split between Republicans and Democrats before the Twitter deal.

You are looking at the wrong metric: Tesla currently has <5% of U.S. auto sales. The big prize is yet to come. So the appropriate question to ask is how many in the larger market would never, ever consider an EV before they heard about Elon, and how he single-handedly saved 'merica.

Narratives matter, as does group identity. If ur a Ford truck guy, u gonna by some PeeEeeVee? Hell No! U gonna buy the bad-ass-iest 1,200 horse BULLET PROOF steel monster truck? You damn rights!

Last edited:
That's why this is unpredictable. The fed doesn't really want to destroy jobs. They just want to destroy inflation. The recession fear is that jobs will collapse which will destroy earnings. So why anyone on WS would want jobs to collapse is anyone's guess. Just because the fed CAN have more runway to spike rates due to jobs being strong doesn't mean they would. Also it's false to think the feds would stop increasing rates if job collapse while inflation can't be controlled.
Wall Street has always rewarded companies that do big layoffs.

Well, those $200 Call holders are hunting their tgt relentlessly this a.m. (Upper-BB reached at 10:16). Only Apple and Meta are up in Big Tech, with macros generally down.

View attachment 902873

Let's see what happens after $200 is breeched and the gamblers start selling their Call contracts.
It's time for Pegging to occur! No more capping...

You are looking at the wrong metric: Tesla currently has <5% of U.S. auto sales. The big prize is yet to come. So the appropriate question to ask is how many in the larger market would never, ever consider an EV before they heard about Elon, and how he single-handedly saved 'merica. Narratives matter, as does group identity. If ur a Ford truck guy, u gonna by some EeeVee? Nope. U gonna buy a the bad-ass-est 1,200 horse BULLET PROOF steel monster truck? Yes, yes they will.
Indeed. Do not discount the macho factor ‐it's not everything but it exists at least here in Mordor (Texas). I want someone to make a YouTube ad where they bring in each competing EV truck and hit the side with a sledgehammer. The one you can still get into, wins. Pretty sure that's the CT.

"Yes Mr. President. We were ok with our own mid-size SUVs being excluded because our volume is low and it would hurt us but prevent Tesla from gaining a ton of market share. We had no idea they could or would cut prices so much in response. We are dying out here. Please adjust."

Fired up, ready to go.

Vote for Pedro or Elon.jpg

Or the IRS realized that the previous guidance was stupid and decided to fix it.

Unlikely. :p

<snip>
I also wonder if Tesla will simply keep their new prices, thereby keeping the pressure on other OEM's anyway? :D
We may some small price changes as they recently did with the Y, but if margin is the determining factor, it makes no sense to raise prices because as COGS goes down, margin goes up! That's another Tesla moat that would be very difficult for the competition to replicate, at least in the short term. And by time some of them figure it out, Tesla will have advanced even further!

The future looks bright, HODL!!!

There is no price war. And Tesla has already raised the price of the Model Y once since the "big cut". So I see no reason that they wouldn't raise them again when they feel it is appropriate.

I still figure that sometime in March the IRS will release the guidance and a bunch of the tax credits will get cut in half or eliminated altogether. And given the current estimated delivery dates, there are likely already enough orders to fill that time frame. So, people placing orders now likely don't know what tax credit they would qualify for. (Best to buy from inventory.)
What we had seen for order flows so far would have been based on Tesla’s big price cuts plus now qualifying for the $7500 incentive while all these other vehicles were both more expensive and didn’t qualify for the tax incentive. Order books are likely now filled out to who knows where with the reduced prices.

Nothing here has changed for the Y LR except the optioned variants, but now all those competitor vehicles are effectively $7500 cheaper.

Increasing prices on the Y LR will now further exacerbate that difference, plus the public perception that’s being built around the price changes. The idea of price increases might be offset by, as you said, the credit being cut in half or down to $0 based on the battery component and critical mineral guidance.

The more I think about it, the more this all seems like a deliberate strategy. Who knows, it’s super fun to watch though

Reactions: FSDtester#1