Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can you state that as a fact? Tesla rejected the $6M they were granted from California for 4 sites, presumably because it came with requirements they didn't want to comply with.

Elon attended the meeting, and the Biden team seemed happy with the outcome.

if Tesla are getting no money, then they are doing what the Biden team wants for free.

Or alternatively nothing was achieved, but the Biden team is happy to spin it as a win anyway.

Of the 3 possible outcomes, Tesla doing what the Biden team wants and getting some money in return seems most likely to me.

Tesla and California are friends again. maybe they can find a deal both sides are happy with.

So let’s say a buyback is announced, would we even notice, in terms of the movement of the stock? Would the stock price most likely go up or down?

Other than price, consider how Tesla could buyback shares to supplement the shares available to use in another split. I always notice things like that. :)

Who doesn't like splits? Well, other than the nefarious gamblers that might get their hairs burnt.

I have confidence that those making the decisions at Tesla will continue to make good choices from a basis of quite a bit more data and experience running the company than the armchair quarterbacks among us possess.

I am missing a discussion here on the implications of what CIA-director Bill Burns said yesterday.
CIA is sure that China is contemplating sending weapons to Russia, but that the decision in China hasn't been made yet.
In my opinion sending weapons would mean a step-up in the conflict, where USA will feel the need to respond, etc.
The military aspect of this doesn't belong here, but what it would mean for TSLA stock surely does.

Now, to say that I am nervous about the consequences for TSLA stock is a little too much said, but at this point the effects are unclear.
However, I am pretty sure TSLA will take a dive when this happens.
I wonder what effect we will see on the stock exchange today.
Hoping that the love of the Chinese for having a bustling economy will be put in first place.

2. There is a deal, but it is separate to NEVI. (only for old sites)
Seems pretty clear to me this was the case.

Tesla has had this in the wings for some time. They were just hanging onto it until they could get some concessions when it was clear how chaotic getting funding through the states was going to be.

A week after Biden announces Tesla is participating in this arrangement and 3 weeks after Musk sits down and meets with the Biden administration; Tesla starts rolling out this solution to locations which are clearly not compliant with NEVI requirements.

This is a non-trivial effort. Tesla isn’t going to break even on these installations without some kind of government concessions.

How can you state that as a fact? Tesla rejected the $6M they were granted from California for 4 sites, presumably because it came with requirements they didn't want to comply with.
California was going to give them $6m, but what was the cost of complying with California’s requirements?

If it costs $5m to implement and makes for a worse experience, why would Tesla screw with it?

Tesla wants money, but they want it to be profitable. Implementing gateways to other networks, adding Kiosks so people can use credit cards, adding meters, etc etc etc… none of this can be leveraged by Tesla to grow their business, it was literally investments in compliance not in Tesla’s business.

Giga Berlin hits 4,000 model Ys built this week. A 33% increase from December's runrate and an annualized rate of 208,000 vehicles.

If Austin tracks similarly and fremont produces close to 600k in the year like Elon has recently discussed that's tracking close to 1M vehicles produced. Shanghai should produce near 1M vehicles so we are looking good for about 2M vehicles produced this year.

on any given day TSLA trades approximately $27 to $40 billion worth stock. somedays back in november 2021, even close to $60 billion in a single day! so a buyback by itself will not be able to support stock price but the psychological significance can not be understated. it would signify a high degree of confidence by TSLA management that stock is either undervalued or at least fairly valued. back in early 2021 when TSLA made mistake of buying $1 billion worth or so of bitcoin, stock fell for several months. a stock buy back likely to have reverse effect and cause stock price to shoot up and continue rising for several months. a buy back sometime in 2023 is imminent, in my opinion. Elon and board are in favor and it is simply a matter of when
not financial advice

PS: one of the beautiful things about trading TSLA is amazing liquidity. TSLL could never afford me that. however, i find that selling TSLA with market order in any sizeable order is a losing proposition. i always use limit otherwise market makers rob me blind.
hard to find any stock with phenomenal fundamentals, stunning growth, deep liquidity combined with gut wrenching volatility anywhere else. one could make an entire career of trading nothing except TSLA for decades to come. (and one should. just kidding, Lucid is a better stock and so is GM. better trade them while they still exist)
again, not financial advice

Buybacks affect EPS which affects PE ratio and more or less every per share metric. While number of trades is significant to daily trading and very short term trading, it is irrelevant to the long term. In the long term, what percentage of Tesla you own matters and buybacks increase your percentage of ownership.

Also, $27 billion worth of stock gets traded… but how much of that is high frequency trading, MM manipulation, and day trading?

I'll call it a mere conjecture, but one I consider to be well worth considering....it seems extremely likely that, as @Ogre points out, most of the "$27 to 40 billion worth of stock...even close to $60 billion in a single day" is indeed merely HFT, where each institution's algorithms are merely trying to constantly balance their value of shares held vs options held/sold at various price points rather than trying to increase / decrease shares to be held by the institution for any significant period of time. It's been well established that the volume of TSLA options (both volume outstanding and volume traded daily) greatly exceeds other security options trading; this HFT trading is indeed the "options tail wagging the security dog". If one conjectures that the bulk of the TSLA daily trading volume each day is typically such algorithmic balancing HFTs, then the *actual* volume of TSLA daily trading volume from humans (be they retail or be they fund managers) who for whatever reason want to buy or sell some shares may be significantly smaller. It may be shocking to some just how low that volume is.

Based on the above mere conjecture, @TrendTrader007's observation that "selling TSLA with market order in any sizeable order is a losing proposition" makes total sense. Those trades may seem small compared to the overall daily TSLA volume, but compared to the other actual human (retail or fund manager) buy/sell orders on the books, it's sufficient to move the overall price. It is a very easy to notice phenomena, frankly...even submitting market buy orders for 10k shares or 20k shares which should be easily matched instead moves the price quite noticeably, and based on commentary I assume your "sizeable order" size is far larger than my preferred block sizes.

This will likely be the object of many an MBA case study for decades to come...

Last edited:
In my opinion sending weapons would mean a step-up in the conflict, where USA will feel the need to respond, etc.
While it would be an unwelcome development, the response from the US, EU and others is most likely to be in the area of trade.

That response is unlikely to include Tesla cars from China, as Tesla is a US company.

To some extent there are already trade hostilities between the US and China, with the IRA being one of the trade actions.

The only reason why China hasn't provided Russia with more open help so far is fear of a trade backlash. IMO the other fear China has is, Russia losing,

When the Chinese say they want a negotiated end to the war ASAP, I think they are serious, and would like to make that happen. But there is no deal Russia and Ukraine are likely to agree on.

US leaks about China providing weapons are designed to prevent China supplying weapons. China knows trying to secretly provide weapons will probably be exposed.

Assuming China did provide weapons, then trade sanctions would probably target as close as possible to the Chinese industries providing assistance.

The big problem with starting wars, is no one knows how a war is going to end, and while it is on going, there is always a risk of more parties being drawn into the conflict. So I would not entirely rule out bad outcomes which might affect Tesla, but so far not much of significance has actually changed.

Giga Berlin hits 4,000 model Ys built this week. A 33% increase from December's runrate and an annualized rate of 208,000 vehicles.

If Austin tracks similarly and fremont produces close to 600k in the year like Elon has recently discussed that's tracking close to 1M vehicles produced. Shanghai should produce near 1M vehicles so we are looking good for about 2M vehicles produced this year.
This is still tracking for more than 2.0M vehicles this year assuming factories have normal uptime and Berlin and Texas ramps continue. If Ber/Tex each average 4k/week for the whole year then that's 2M, but they should keep ramping from here, and possibly could ramp explosively. Shanghai tripled its production from 4k/week to 12k/week over about a 12-month period. If something similar happened this year for Ber/Tex, we would get about 2.3M.

The big wildcard is whether there will be an extended production outage. Macro disruptions to supply chain or COVID shutdowns could happen again, but more importantly there might be huge upgrades to one or more of the factories that might take months to get back to full speed.

I trust Tesla navigation as far as I can throw my Model X. Several years ago it routed me through marginal city streets causing me to miss a funeral. 2 months ago, FSD Beta brought me on a superfluous 1mile loop 2 miles from home, not being on a hurry, I allowed it to see what it would really do.
I think if you change the time before reroute to more it doesn't reroute you for 10 min gain on not drive you on littles road on my system my reroute is set to only if 20 minutes gains try it

• Helpful
Reactions: unk45 and Queeg500

And its only the second month of the year. I can't believe that Berlin and Austin will not ramp further. The 2m Musk blurt target is still sandbagging, unless there is a constraint or something else going on.

(Ha, beaten to it by @Gigapress . Like him my estimates are that somewhere in 2.2 - 2.3 ought to be achievable.)

Regarding the side Castings, is anything preventing adding steel reinforcements after creating the 'perfectly box' out of Castings?
It wouldn't eliminate all BIW steps but could still be a noticeable improvement, as they could skip the inner or outer side assembly...
No the only issue is galvanic corrosion caused by different metal types, but Tesla already deals with this type of issue.

I think the big difference between buybacks and dividends is it’s easier to structure buybacks so they are done opportunistically to boost shareholder value when it makes sense for the company and the investors. Companies can quietly buy back shares when the SP is soft and hold cash when it is high.

Investors like dividends with predictable payouts, buybacks they are just happy to see when the company gets a good buyback price.

The other massive difference is buybacks are not subject to double taxation. I think this last reason alone is the big reason dividends are becoming a smaller percentage of investor payouts for a lot of companies.
Also consider that in my country of residence, dividends are taxed 33% immediately by the broker, but in principle, capital-gains are tax-free

This is still tracking for more than 2.0M vehicles this year assuming factories have normal uptime and Berlin and Texas ramps continue. If Ber/Tex each average 4k/week for the whole year then that's 2M, but they should keep ramping from here, and possibly could ramp explosively. Shanghai tripled its production from 4k/week to 12k/week over about a 12-month period. If something similar happened this year for Ber/Tex, we would get about 2.3M.

The big wildcard is whether there will be an extended production outage. Macro disruptions to supply chain or COVID shutdowns could happen again, but more importantly there might be huge upgrades to one or more of the factories that might take months to get back to full speed.

And its only the second month of the year. I can't believe that Berlin and Austin will not ramp further. The 2m Musk blurt target is still sandbagging, unless there is a constraint or something else going on.

(Ha, beaten to it by @Gigapress . Like him my estimates are that somewhere in 2.2 - 2.3 ought to be achievable.)

Optimistically I like 2.3M as a target, but 2022 beat me up so much I'm almost afraid to see what's in store for us this year. 😂