Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Traditional truck buyers don't like seeing big changes for sure. Heck, look at Ram still selling two model designs (gen 4 and 5) with gen 4 not much different than the gen 2 from 1994. Crazy stuff.
Now where's that newbie earlier today who complained that they had better refresh the Model 3 and Y or it will become stale. :D

I think what was keeping the old trucks going were all the add-on features and tech that could easily be bolted on or modified, then they jacked the price. Sweet deal when interest rates were zero.

My last truck was a full size '78 K2 Blazer, rare gov't pre-owned 2-speed. GM actually repainted it for free (blue peeling off). Then I sold it all because I didn't feel like changing the clutch. What a mistake!!! I regretted selling it my whole life... until now ;)

Some of the roadsters almost certainly we’re sold at negative gross margin. But Elon pulled out the whip along with his brains and things turned around fairly rapidly.
IIRC, the first 500 Roadsters (1.0 version and signatures) were at the original (loss) price, but were delivered without some of the features that had been promised. Our early (#537) 2.0 was significantly more expensive, and some of the features were still extras. I could be wrong about exactly when the price went up, but certainly before VIN 501.

I am 99% certain that the vault cover does not slide into the cabin.

Introduces all kinds of unnecessary issues with leaks and noise and headroom. Also, I'm pretty sure the peak of the roof is narrower than the vault opening which would make this impossible. There are reasons you keep the outside out and the inside in and don't mix the two.

Also, if this were the case, you would see the vault cover inside the truck since the vault cover is open at the unveil.
Agree, but where does is go if not in the roof and doesn't block the rear window? This is magic!

Stream Music has started...

Let's Gooooo

1677704446475.png

I met a GM vehicle artist/designer on a plane (long time ago). He was very frustrated that he came up with so many original designs and looks, but they were never considered. Paraphrasing his answer (in case someone here might have overheard me on that plane in the 80's) "GM is afraid to take any risks."
Yup. Google Zora Arkus-Duntov. once of GM, if you don’t know the name. He’s remembered for one of their few distinctive cars. After that? Design by committee, where the idea was not to make a mistake, mainly. No one cares who designed the Impala.

It's not about Tesla being electric. Legacy auto has engaged in group-think for some time and nobody has been willing to risk stepping outside traditional manufacturing techniques.

They (legacy auto) are used to operating by "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Well, guess what? It's now broken and they have no clue how to deal with it.

Stream is Live

Like the timing of the event, don´t have to stay up too late in Europe to watch the event live!

EDIT: If it will actually start anytime soon...
EDIT2: I swear I didn´t read @RichardL ´s post before first EDIT here 🤣

Last edited: