Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree a little bit here...as I'm only a few hours away from Austin in Dallas, but out of all these YouTubers to get in to every event, it should be Gali. Hell, Ross Gruber got it in....
I think Tesla wants to avoid creating a market for entry to these events. It's a lottery to get in, not an auction.

Also, how did Gali obtain the 4680 cell he passed on to TLF?

I get that there is a lot of enthusiasm out there, but Tesla likes to keep their secrets secret and both Gali and Omar have essentially pedaled leaks in the past. If Gali got a ticket as part of the raffle, then that is BS on Tesla's part for not catching it initially. I know in the past Tesla wasn't happy about people abusing the "+1" so I kind of wonder if that's what happened.

CyberFrunk appears to open at bumper level:

View attachment 912681

Makes sense.
I saw that months ago and mentioned how it was on my updated wish list when I saw it on the EF-150. I think it was the video of when they were doing the GigaTX opening? And if true It was a beautiful adjustment. Now "Heavy Sh!te" like bags of concrete can be put in there out of the elements while the bed can be used for other stuff..or not at all. And talk about a place to sit and watch the kids soccer game while out of the elements..or tailgating in reverse..or TWO tailgate parties... Adults and children.

Comment just posted on DriveTeslaCanada's article about the CyberTruck. Cool if true:
View attachment 912676
I am 99% certain that the vault cover does not slide into the cabin.

Introduces all kinds of unnecessary issues with leaks and noise and headroom. Also, I'm pretty sure the peak of the roof is narrower than the vault opening which would make this impossible. There are reasons you keep the outside out and the inside in and don't mix the two.

Also, if this were the case, you would see the vault cover inside the truck since the vault cover is open at the unveil.

Almost anything Tesla does can be reduced to First Principles logic.

1. A good truck should be resistant to scratches, dings, dents, etc.
2. A good EV should have an aerodynamic shape.
3. Ultra-hardened cold-worked steel alloys are resistant to scratches, dings, dents, etc.
4. Hardened steel cannot be effectively stamped, but can be folded.
5. Folded panels require an angular shape.
6. Therefore, a good EV truck must be made out of hardened steel folded into an angular, aerodynamic shape.

Those decisions are mostly the result of current production technology issues. Those limitations could be lifted in the ~10 year time frame as new technologies are invented to produce metal foam.

The vehicle's body/exoskelton would be produced at the same steelworks where the molten steel is produced, instead of shipping steel sheets to a factory. But injection casting machines large enough to create metal foam castings of this size don't exist yet. So give it a decade at Tesla speed, if they choose to develop this tech. Here's an example SS metalfoam:

This technique could be extended to produce an entire vehicle in a single-shot casting (BTW, metal foam SS's have excellent anti-radiation characteristics too, so of interest to Elon's other large manufacturing company). It needs to move from the University Lab to Industrial scale, something Tesla now has a decade of experience doing. They can do it, if they choose.

Last edited:

3. Ultra-hardened cold-worked steel alloys are resistant to scratches, dings, dents, etc.
6. Therefore, a good EV truck must be made out of hardened steel folded into an angular, aerodynamic shape.

So why are gas trucks not built like that? What makes the CT design uniquely electric?

Not a single thing in that list is "first principles". Easy to tell because there's no physics.

• Disagree
Reactions: Xepa777 and Nrkl
So why are gas trucks not built like that? What makes the CT design uniquely electric?
Why don't legacy makers use gigacastings? Why did Ford not make a structural battery on their first swing? Why do most EVs from legacy makers not have enough room for a proper frunk or storage under their rear cargo area?

It's not about Tesla being electric. Legacy auto has engaged in group-think for some time and nobody has been willing to risk stepping outside traditional manufacturing techniques.

Why don't legacy makers use gigacastings? Why did Ford not make a structural battery on their first swing? Why do most EVs from legacy makers not have enough room for a proper frunk or storage under their rear cargo area?

It's not about Tesla being electric. Legacy auto has engaged in group-think for some time and nobody has been willing to risk stepping outside traditional manufacturing techniques.
Dont forget some consumers that think "Pickup truck must look certain way. Ugh, Ugh."

Dont forget some consumers that think "Pickup truck must look certain way. Ugh, Ugh."
I met a GM vehicle artist/designer on a plane (long time ago). He was very frustrated that he came up with so many original designs and looks, but they were never considered. Paraphrasing his answer (in case someone here might have overheard me on that plane in the 80's) "GM is afraid to take any risks."

I met a GM vehicle artist/designer on a plane (long time ago). He was very frustrated that he came up with so many original designs and looks, but they were never considered. Paraphrasing his answer (in case someone here might have overheard me on that plane in the 80's) "GM is afraid to take any risks."
Traditional truck buyers don't like seeing big changes for sure. Heck, look at Ram still selling two model designs (gen 4 and 5) with gen 4 not much different than the gen 2 from 1994. Crazy stuff.

I'm sure Tesla did their homework on the pricing model for charging non-Tesla vehicles....but I'd rather the subscription cost $14.99 or even $19.99 per month.

BTW the same pricing scheme and prices as in Europe and same way to select charger in the app, so yeah they did their homework.

Difference is that here they added second cables with CCS2 plug to the superchargers in the beginning instead of the adapter. The magic dock is more elegant, hope it will be reliable!