Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good catch, it's a must, maybe even separated cooling systems for front and rear so no hoses has to be connected? Or even the battery pack has connection for cooling that just snap into place as you assemble

Also

What are these parts from a screenshot from the 8 second video in that Twitter thread??-
Tesla-part-screenshot.jpg

Apparently castings, but I can't make heads or tails of them, and they appear asymmetrical, like quarter sections or something.

The new info from Tom Zhu IMHO is a huge boost -NO PAINT for example omits a huge cost and production hold-up as well as future quality control, damage and repair headaches and expenses.

No Tesla motor so far (that we know) is Hallbach, they just used segmented magnets to reduce Eddy current losses

Sandy Munro said the magnets were arranged in a "Halbach Array" (sp) in his first Model 3 SRPM motor tear-down video (doesn't mean he was right, but that's what he said). Could've caused confusion.

EDIT to add this tweet posted on Jan 08, 2019:

Lol, that sounded eerily familiar... @GhostSkater you wouldn't happen to be a nameless source, would you? ;)

Cheers!

Last edited:
What are these parts from a screenshot from the 8 second video in that Twitter thread??-
View attachment 913448
Apparently castings, but I can't make heads or tails of them, and they appear asymmetrical, like quarter sections or something.

The new info from Tom Zhu IMHO is a huge boost -NO PAINT for example omits a huge cost and production hold-up as well as future quality control, damage and repair headaches and expenses.
Cybertruck castings?

A community for the workers, complete with solar roof, Powerwalls and heat pumps.
How about Boxabl Casitas? :cool: Doesn't Giga Shanghai have a lot of dormatories/living units onsite for employees? Efficient, low cost housing for employees would be an excellent use for some of that land, IMO.

Last edited:
Don’t know what to make of this but I’ll throw it out here: apparently a new Supercharger station in the Netherlands has the new V4 stalls:

View attachment 913431

Height is about right at 1.90 meters. Station has 16 stalls and is located in Harderwijk NL.

Apparently it was disclosed at investors day that V4 will roll out in Europe first.

Charge rates and voltages are unclear but the longer cable is very welcome for third party charging.

Last edited:
Sandy Munro said the magnets were arranged in a "Halbach Array" (sp) in his first Model 3 SRPM motor tear-down video (doesn't mean he was right, but that's what he said). Could've caused confusion.

EDIT to add this tweet posted on Jan 08, 2019:

Lol, that sounded eerily familiar... @GhostSkater you wouldn't happen to be a nameless source, would you? ;)

Cheers!
Unfortunately not lol

I'm a nobody in the industry working on a company most people probably never heard of and never will

+1

This is a good thread and I hope the info is true.

Biggest thing is that Ber/Tex ramped slower than Sha due to figuring out the structural pack. Originally Tesla had guided for them to ramp faster, and the failure to do so was one of the main sources of error in my short term forecasts for 2022. This means Shanghai ramp probably wasn’t a fluke or caused by something special about China.

Does this mean that Shanghai isn't using structural packs, in which case is Tesla going to use structural packs on some units and regular packs on others going forward?

Does this mean that Shanghai isn't using structural packs, in which case is Tesla going to use structural packs on some units and regular packs on others going forward?
Correct, Shanghai is still on the old tech. Not because of any good reason to do that long-term, just structural pack tech wasn't ready in 2019 and it doesn't make sense to shut down Shanghai to upgrade. Like Tesla said on ID, eventually legacy stuff will be upgraded but that'll be years from now. I think all new factories will be using structural pack.

You don't effect the power (wattage) by going from 12-48V, you impact the current draw. For the same power you use 1/4 the current. In general anyway-lower current means smaller components, smaller wires and less weight, which should slightly help power draw.
Right, and that is what they were saying.
Screenshot_20230303_145536_Firefox.jpg

Looking over the animations for the next-gen platform and assembly, and this struck me.

I'm calling it now - eBrakes. I don't see how you can have a traditional master cylinder hydraulic brakes with brake lines running around to the 4 corners of the car with that kind of assembly process.
E-brakes are a possibility, but if you can plug in a harness, you can thread in a brake line. Rear lines mounted to side sections, maybe one extra fitting each to front section with brake module. Front section all one chunk.

Correct, Shanghai is still on the old tech. Not because of any good reason to do that long-term, just structural pack tech wasn't ready in 2019 and it doesn't make sense to shut down Shanghai to upgrade. Like Tesla said on ID, eventually legacy stuff will be upgraded but that'll be years from now. I think all new factories will be using structural pack.
But there was some rumors a while ago that there was a 4680 line there already working and ramping also

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
Right, and that is what they were saying.
View attachment 913460

E-brakes are a possibility, but if you can plug in a harness, you can thread in a brake line. Rear lines mounted to side sections, maybe one extra fitting each to front section with brake module. Front section all one chunk.
How do you cut power (wattage, not current) by 75% when stepping voltage up by a factor of four? You aren't consuming 75% of your power (V*I) in resistance in your wires. Well, unless you seriously undersized your wiring and like making resistance heaters. For the same power, you do cut the current by 75%. I also highly question if your total LV load is only 250W, just based on fuse sizing and quantity in an auto fuse box, but haven't found anything specific. 250 total AMPS (not watts) I can buy.

Reactions: UncaNed
Not true. At current designs (12V and very long harnesses) the resistance is so high there are substantial losses. Tesla had a slide in the deck showing current cars use ~250W for LV, and they expect this to drop by 75%.
You get EITHER much smaller wires or less loss, or a combination (somewhat smaller wires and somewhat less loss).