Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like grandpa explaining another downvote, but you’re joking I hope.

Please don’t rely on moderators to modify your posts. If it’s not too much to ask; please proof read your own post prior to hitting that sexy red button. As we’ve seen from MSM; being first isn’t always best.
I thought I will let this thing die.. but..

Proof read? I posted a humor tweet/video which was obvious to me and many that it is fake and humor. The fact that for some that it was not obvious is not really a 'proof reading' issue, is it?
Now Mods have every right to delete it and I have no qualms on that, but if they can take the time to delete and comment on the deletion reason as "fake", then they could have simply updated the post with that comment. Just saying.. but no big deal.

Moderator work is not easy.. a lot of grunt work and you can't please everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: dhanson865
Lasers use electromagnetic waves.
Big difference in frequency (wavelength)
Lidar: 0.75um to 1.5um
Radar: 4mm (76GHz)
A beam is blocked based on wavelength, beam, and object size. Radar beam is larger, lidar is basically points. You only need a opaque particle the size of your lidar ray to block it. Wheras you need something much larger and rf opaque to block radar.

Concider air traffic control uses radar in all weather conditions.

Fermilab | Science | Inquiring Minds | Questions About Physics
Elon has said this on multiple occasions too.

For example:

I don't think LIDAR is all that different in purpose from the new High-resolution radar, which is now being touted as a cheaper supplement to reduce LIDAR sensors or even a replacement for LIDAR altogether.

You have someone like Ross Gerber who notices this and questions if it's not basically the same thing, and people hit out with "come on Ross, everyone knows LIDAR uses lasers!" Does it matter if it uses lasers or electromagnetic waves? It can shoot out tiny little cake donuts and track whether they hit something, but the end goal would be the same: object detection beyond vision-only, sensor fusion for conditions and situations cameras alone cannot handle, and further risk mitigation.
Both LiDAR and radar rely on spraying photons around, measuring the photons reflected back, and interpreting that signal with software. The similarities pretty much stop there and anyone who suggests otherwise probably does not understand the basics of optics and electromagnetism. This includes Ross Gerber, who is not an engineer. Having the same end goal does not mean that the potential usefulness of practicality of each technology is comparable. There’s much more technical nuance to this decision.

I don’t know how Tesla will use radar this time around or why they’ve apparently reversed their decision to stop using it due to excessive false positives for object detection. When I met with some TMC forum members in Silicon Valley in February, @ZeApelido told us that there’s a mathematical theorem showing that more sensors will always be able to improve AI’s knowledge of a scene if given enough time to actually learn the patterns and at worst an additional sensor is a completely useless signal that will, via training, end up with matrix weights of zero and thus be ignored. If I remember our conversation correctly, the speculation was that Tesla had been eschewing sensor fusion with radar despite this because of difficulty with the attempts to get the neural nets to learn to incorporate the radar well in practice, and this maybe had been slowing down progress on iteration of the FSD and Autopilot architecture. Maybe it was better for Tesla to just double down on figuring out vision-only faster since human driving proves that this is by itself a sufficiently informative signal to operate a vehicle successfully. If so, maybe this means Tesla is now confident enough in the V11 architecture and/or the 100x increase in training compute supposedly coming in the next two years that it’s a good time to reintroduce sensor fusion with radar to get even better results in the long run.

Last edited:
They didn't link to those sites specifically but they showed a zoomed out view of the comparison of charger networks. I didn't include it because I thought it was meaningless and not a useful comparison:
View attachment 916110
Ideally something interactive like Tesla (supercharge.info) vs Others (fastcharger.info) would have been linked as a helpful comparison for the readers of that article so they could more easily judge locations/routes applicable to them .
Relevant xkcd

1678470588148.png

Last edited:
Is Tesla exposed to silicon valley bank debacle?

No, not at all. That's why Elon insisted that Tesla retire it's long-term debt quickly by 2022, so that Tesla would have no exposure to any recession and/or interest rate risks. Indeed, Tesla is MAKING money off it's cash billion$ now.

Further, Elon personally is at no risk due to temporary equity loans taken during his Twitter takeover. The banks that provided those loans (which are now all paid off) were included in this May 5, 2022 SEC filing: (list of instituitions included below link)

AMENDMENT NO. 6 to SCHEDULE 13D | SEC.gov filing

Equity Investor:​

A.M. Management & Consulting
AH Capital Management, L.L.C. (a16z)
Aliya Capital Partners LLC
BAMCO, Inc. (Baron)
Binance
Brookfield
DFJ Growth IV Partners, LLC
Fidelity Management & Research Company LLC
Honeycomb Asset Management LP
Key Wealth Advisors LLC
Lawrence J. Ellison Revocable Trust
Litani Ventures
Qatar Holding LLC
Sequoia Capital Fund, L.P.
Strauss Capital LLC
Tresser Blvd 402 LLC (Cartenna)
VyCapital
Witkoff Capital

As you can plainly see, Silicon Valley Bank (SVB) was NOT part of the original group of institutions involved with the deal.

This was also quite interesting from CleanTechnica in the last few days:

Chalmers University Reveals 500 kW Wireless Charging Technology

Stats: 500 kW, 2% loss (!), 15 cm distance between charge plates

The professor they interviewed expected this wouldn't likely be used for home charging of EV's, but more likely charging things like battery-electric ferries (also maybe Semi's?) that are constantly in use, so can't stop to charge for long periods.
I wonder, at that high a rate and that low a loss, if this could be a help in bringing about the Robotaxis of the future.
Also, it ain't a MW, but perhaps with further development it could be - putting into the range of usefulness at a truck stop, perhaps, for Semis?

Elon has said this on multiple occasions too.

For example:

Both LiDAR and radar rely on spraying photons around, measuring the photons reflected back, and interpreting that signal with software. The similarities pretty much stop there and anyone who suggests otherwise probably does not understand the basics of optics and electromagnetism. This includes Ross Gerber, who is not an engineer. Having the same end goal does not mean that the potential usefulness of practicality of each technology is comparable. There’s much more nuance to this decision.

I don’t know how Tesla will use radar this time around or why they’ve apparently reversed their decision to stop using it due to excessive false positives for object detection. When I met with some TMC forum members in Silicon Valley in February, @ZeApelido told us that there’s a mathematical theorem showing that more sensors will always be able to improve AI’s knowledge of a scene if given enough time to actually learn the patterns. At worst it’s a completely useless signal that will via training end up with weights of zero and thus be ignored. If I remember our conversation correctly, the speculation was that Tesla was eschewing sensor fusion with radar despite this because the actual attempts to get the neural nets to learn to incorporate the radar well were, in practice, difficult and had been actually slowing down progress on iteration of the FSD and Autopilot architecture and it was better to just double down on figuring out vision-only faster since human driving proves that this is by itself a sufficiently informative signal to operate a vehicle successfully. If so, maybe this means Tesla is confident enough in the V11 architecture and/or the 100x increase in training compute supposedly coming in the next two years that it’s a good time to reintroduce sensor fusion with radar to get even better results in the long run.
The new radar is higher resolution and more steerable. With 6 Tx antennas (4 tx simultaneously) and 8 Rx antennas, it may be able to better resolve objects in the stationary frame rather than just suppressing them.
The old ARS4 had 2 Tx 3 Rx.

No, not at all. That's why Elon insisted that Tesla retire it's long-term debt quickly by 2022, so that Tesla would have no exposure to any recession and/or interest rate risks. Indeed, Tesla is MAKING money off it's cash billion$ now.

Further, Elon personally is at no risk due to temporary equity loans taken during his Twitter takeover. The banks that provided those loans (which are now all paid off) were included in this May 5, 2022 SEC filing: (list of instituitions included below link)

AMENDMENT NO. 6 to SCHEDULE 13D | SEC.gov filing

Equity Investor:​

A.M. Management & Consulting
AH Capital Management, L.L.C. (a16z)
Aliya Capital Partners LLC
BAMCO, Inc. (Baron)
Binance
Brookfield
DFJ Growth IV Partners, LLC
Fidelity Management & Research Company LLC
Honeycomb Asset Management LP
Key Wealth Advisors LLC
Lawrence J. Ellison Revocable Trust
Litani Ventures
Qatar Holding LLC
Sequoia Capital Fund, L.P.
Strauss Capital LLC
Tresser Blvd 402 LLC (Cartenna)
VyCapital
Witkoff Capital

As you can plainly see, Silicon Valley Bank (SVB) was NOT part of the original group of institutions involved with the deal.
Besides Tesla having billions earning interest, which I believe was/is in CDs ,Elon warned not to use margin. In fact a recession improves profit margin and thus can even lower prices which I believe scares the hell out of other EV manufacturers.
Have a great weekend ⛷️

I thought I will let this thing die.. but..

Proof read? I posted a humor tweet/video which was obvious to me and many that it is fake and humor. The fact that for some that it was not obvious is not really a 'proof reading' issue, is it?
Now Mods have every right to delete it and I have no qualms on that, but if they can take the time to delete and comment on the deletion reason as "fake", then they could have simply updated the post with that comment. Just saying.. but no big deal.
Let's shed some light on what I saw happen for the purpose of learning and preparing for the future. BTW, I enjoyed your post and was one of the first to react to question it without much analysis. However, someone (lacking memory here) responded with ... serious? At that point, I thought that person was questioning the validity of the fake, but in hindsight, was likely ridiculing my comment as if I was still questioning it. This further digressed and most others completely missed my post. But loving the humor, and still laughing my *** off at the post, I poked at someone else later because I mentioned (humorously) that they were "cheating" by looking at the twitter notes, which I didn't read until afterwards BTW. That too was not helpful, my appologies.

The recap (from my perspective) looked something like this: 🤣,:rolleyes:,:oops::p:confused::rolleyes:. But we had a few other versions clearly. So I wouldn't take it personally, more of an unfortunate misunderstanding that spiraled some. But... what if it was less obvious? Could you imagine the impact of some fake news - as we all know is likely to happen fairly soon.

So in the future, I think it would be prudent to call it out, or at least ask for opinion if we're not certain. There are folks here who still think the Robot demo was partially faked, enough to clog up pages of debate :rolleyes:. Consider it simply Queue from Start Trek coming to visit, because it ain't gonna get easier folks. o_O:eek:🤷‍♂️🌈

Is fastcharger.info a sister site of supercharge.info? The former for non-Tesla chargers and the later more focused on Tesla superchargers? The sites looks identical to each other.

Good call - from fastcharger.info "about" screen:

Long distance electric travel was not possible for decades until Tesla made it practical. This site is an offshoot of supercharge.info, a community of Tesla Supercharger enthusiasts who enjoy tracking this world-wide transition in transportation. It is hoped that the fastcharger.info community will further grow the community to include those interested in tracking the growth of other fast charging networks.

To contribute news regarding fastcharger construction or updates create an account and visit the forum (forum.fastcharger.info).

fastcharger.info is not produced by or affiliated with any charging network

Can't say for sure, but even if Tesla has some cash at SVB, it is unlikely to be significant and even if it was, they will eventually recover it all. SVB simply is not a bank to serve large corporations like Tesla. May be 10 years ago it would have been a good fit, but not now.

Either way, not much for SVB depositors to worry other than the fact that their immediate liquidity needs may take some time to be met. There is plenty of equity cushion and bond markets are rallying a bit now, paradoxically supporting the investment securities on the balance sheet of SVB.

The longer term issue for startups in the valley seems to be that they have lots of common / preferred / option stakes in a lot of companies they deal with. All these will likely come to market enmasse as FDIC tries to dump it all with no liquidity.

This will likely deepen the recession in Bay area. The startup ecosystem will feel this acutely. This will be a negative for demand in one of the biggest markets, but hopefully be more than offset by a likely lower path that rates will likely take. SVB is after all a pretty big bank to fail. And fail it did with a bang.
Love it or hate it, the FED needs to rethink raising rates this fast again in the future. Many have lost billions in treasury bonds due to the spike in rates, even resulting in the collapse of some banks as we are witnessing right now. Slow clap for the feds...