Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ummm...

1678848695303.png

Did a thread on a updated Cybertruck pack size and if it will have 500 miles of range

Thanks for this, good thread. I encourage you to also post your analysis here at TMC. ;)

Early sample Tesla 4680 cells have no silicon in the anode. This puts them at an energy density disadvantage vs. Panasonic 2170s currently produced at Giga Nevada. I look for Tesla to update 4680 anode chemistry when Cybertruck goes into production in Texas. Increase in energy density w. silicon anode could be up to 25%: (this allows for a 188KWh pack in the volume of a 150KWh pack w/o silicon)

Then we have to figure in Cybertruck's superior aerodynamics. It's Cd is 0.39 vs 0.59 for an F150 Raptor:

CT_V_Raptor.aero.jpg

More telling is a comparison of the Cybertruck with two existing vehicles, the Ford F150 and Dodge Ram 1500. Boats and Engines achieved a drag co-efficient of 0.39 at 60 mph for the Cybertruck, compared to 0.59 for the F150 and 0.56 for the Ram 1500.

Using an online calculator, given 7,000 lbs weight, 35" diameter tires, Cd of 0.39 and 31.5 sq.ft frontal area (same as Ford F-150 Lightning) we get an estimated 0.362 KWh/mi energy consumption at 60 mph:

This result implies ~180 KWh energy required to drive 500 miles on the highway at 60 mph, or ~96% of a hypothetical Si-anode battery pack. Such a pack will be able to charge @ 350KW from 10% to 85% adding 385 miles of range in about 24 min.

With silcon-doped anodes, these cells may have a max charge rate of 6C (nominally 100% in 10 min), thus they would be limited by v3 Supercharger output. However, these new cells would also be able to sustain max charge rate longer via tapering later/shallower.

TL;dr A 500-mile range Cybertruck is realistic w/o requiring a dual-layer battery pack when silicon anode material is used in 4680 production cells.

Do you also remember Tesla having a hand in developing tire compounds? I too have seen the product announcements/developments by the tire companies you refer to... but can'y yet find a reference to the stuff I recall seeing a number of years ago about Tesla directly participating in that....

The larger issue is the cost of replacement for high wear components on Robotaxis: (ie: tires)

Tesla Tire Costs 10× Battery Cost, & My Plan To Deflate Tire Costs 90% | Teslarati (Oct 03, 2020)

The larger issue is the cost of replacement for high wear components on Robotaxis: (ie: tires)

Tesla Tire Costs 10× Battery Cost, & My Plan To Deflate Tire Costs 90% | Teslarati (Oct 03, 2020)
This article has a good point. Tires are going to be a big portion of the remaining cost structure of transportation in an autonomous EV.

Tesla is slashing costs of producing the vehicles, including the battery packs, and they'll last a very long time with the LFP packs. Insurance costs should fall by about an order of magnitude if autonomy improves safety by an order of magnitude. Electricity costs are going to plummet too if solar and stationary storage cost trends continue for another decade or two.

This leaves tires as one of the main significant costs on an amortized lifetime basis. Some of the redesigns suggested in the article will help. The fact that robotaxis won't be accelerating and cornering hard will help too. Still, I wonder how Tesla plans to approach this problem.

Holy macaronies! What happened in Norway today? Did they have a national delivery day or something?

Most delivered Teslas in a day ever!

Currently at 615 but might still go up. Almost double the best days of the last couple of weeks.

Tesla Registration Stats

Nice! Ended up at 623:
275 from China and 344 from Germany (for four the origin was marked as "na").
23 had the new quicksilver paint

"On March 14, Tesla won a lawsuit against a famous car reviewer and TikTok celebrity known as “Boss Cai” for damaging Tesla’s reputation."

"The incident started in 2021 when Boss Cai released a video claiming that a friend who worked as a Tesla supplier had revealed some violations in cooperation with suppliers. He claimed that when building the Tesla Shanghai plant, the company repeatedly pressured its suppliers to lower their prices. Also, according to Cai’s friend, Tesla’s quality inspectors didn’t do it well and instead used their position to obtain personal advantages.

According to court documents, inviting this “friend” to testify in court was impossible, as Cai claimed he forgot this friend’s name under tremendous pressure."

Do you also remember Tesla having a hand in developing tire compounds? I too have seen the product announcements/developments by the tire companies you refer to... but can'y yet find a reference to the stuff I recall seeing a number of years ago about Tesla directly participating in that....
Not directly. The first thing I recall was the 2020 announcement of a specific high performance Elect tire for the Porsche Taycan:
Shortly after that came tge HL for Lucid:
There was a similar Tesla announcement for the Plaid , I was very happy to have those on my Plaid S with 19” wheels in 2021. There is an identical set on eBay right now:
I cannot find that original Tesla/Pirelli statement which implied but did not explicitly state, IIRC, that Tesla worked with Pirelli on the compounds. The Lucid announcement for the HL is the closest one I recall.
Sorry, I am in the same situation as are you.

Pre-market dropping like a rock again because of banking woes, this time Credit Suisse. Why can't these bankers get their acts together? Too much focussed on short-term bonusses, I guess.

Nothing to do with Tesla, but the market doesn't care.

Knipsel.PNG

As this is a random internet forum, a personal note outside of TSLA:

Today is the 1 year anniversary for my dad's lung transplant that's elongated his life in his mid-70's up until now and, hopefully, much longer...but who knows. My dad's got a terminal lung disease for the past 9 years. No cure. He was supposed to be too old to get a lung transplant. He saw his son fall apart a year later and, then, continue to have difficulties in life. Well, we got a lucky break 1.5 years ago: he got accepted into the lung transplant process. I walked with him everyday even though I was battling my own health stuff. He managed to deal with my own issues too.

After the successful transplant a year ago, it's been a team family process where my contribution has been taking him to mostly all of his bloodwork, procedures, and clinic visits (sometimes 3-4 times in a single week). Also, going on errands - all in the Model 3 I got in 2020. Very thankful for getting this car as it really made things easy on us throughout the past year. On the navigation, it still lists my parent's home as "Work". My greatest and most important job I've ever had just completed today as he's finished the 1 year milestone. Here's to hoping for more milestones.
thanks for sharing Tesla news has been light ....great stuff ... it is the gift of life for your dad ... this May will mark my 30th anniversary of my Kidney Transplant donated from my brother ... that was 1993 ... before some of you were born...

Pre-market dropping like a rock again because of banking woes, this time Credit Suisse. Why can't these bankers get their acts together? Too much focussed on short-term bonusses, I guess.

Nothing to do with Tesla, but the market doesn't care.

View attachment 917842
…..and dropping over this event, which shouldn’t be taken lightly: