Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you think robotaxis would suddenly make people decide not to sleep and instead choose to ride around in the middle of the night? Doesn't make sense.

That got me thinking...

It's not going to be a huge market, but there's probably a good number of people who wouldn't mind a multi-hour overnight sleep in a car heading they where they need to go for work or vacation.

This would require some vehicle modifications for comfort and safety, and ideally automated supercharging. And, this sort of long-trip wouldn't work for somebody trying to earn a little extra money robotaxiing their main vehicle -- so the trip would probably require traveling in your own car, or in a multi-day rental.

But I can imagine a trip where you hop in (alone or with family) around 8pm...watch a movie on the screen...go to sleep...wake up ready to start the day 400 miles away.

Obviously some small details for the morning bathroom/shower/change of clothes logistics, but workable in many ways.

When most people say "road trip" they really mean "driving instead of flying to save money, but still trying to get there as fast as possible." So, if you're not trying to see the sights on the way, then having the car drive while you sleep effectively erases the travel time.

For distances that can be covered driving during a sleep cycle (400-500 miles?), it would probably be notably less expensive and less hassle than the all-in cost and real time commitment of air travel (trip to the airport, arriving hours before departure, checking bags, security, boarding, flight, deboarding, baggage claim, finding/renting ground transport, driving to the actual destination). Instead, hop in the robo-car at home, and wake up at your actual destination.

Again...not a huge increase in night-time car use...but there will be some who'd make use of this option.

That got me thinking...

It's not going to be a huge market, but there's probably a good number of people who wouldn't mind a multi-hour overnight sleep in a car heading they where they need to go for work or vacation.

This would require some vehicle modifications for comfort and safety, and ideally automated supercharging. And, this sort of long-trip wouldn't work for somebody trying to earn a little extra money robotaxiing their main vehicle -- so the trip would probably require traveling in your own car, or in a multi-day rental.

But I can imagine a trip where you hop in (alone or with family) around 8pm...watch a movie on the screen...go to sleep...wake up ready to start the day 400 miles away.

Obviously some small details for the morning bathroom/shower/change of clothes logistics, but workable in many ways.

When most people say "road trip" they really mean "driving instead of flying to save money, but still trying to get there as fast as possible." So, if you're not trying to see the sights on the way, then having the car drive while you sleep effectively erases the travel time.

For distances that can be covered driving during a sleep cycle (400-500 miles?), it would probably be notably less expensive and less hassle than the all-in cost and real time commitment of air travel (trip to the airport, arriving hours before departure, checking bags, security, boarding, flight, deboarding, baggage claim, finding/renting ground transport, driving to the actual destination). Instead, hop in the robo-car at home, and wake up at your actual destination.

Again...not a huge increase in night-time car use...but there will be some who'd make use of this option.
Reminds me of the old story...
My grandfather died peacefully in his sleep
while the rest of the passengers in the car were screaming.

I don’t see why Tesla couldn’t hit 300 tmrw

Two times Three reasons: Options Open Interest, Triple-witching Friday ;)

TSLA.Open-Interest.2023-06-16.Expiry-As-of.2023-06-12.07-00.png

Did you notice that there are 1.12M open Call contracts which expire on Friday? MMs ain't gonna snooze thru that...

Cheers!

I wouldn’t underestimate Toyota. Apparently they took a hard and good look at that Y they did a tear down on and they’re taking the lessons at heart.

Of course Tesla is innovating at accelerating speeds so there’s that 😁

Toyota is scum. They have been milking their hybrids for around 20 years and have delayed any EV development on purpose. It is not only that.

Toyota has bribed politicians and media to delay any EV developments as well as green initiatives. I hope Toyota is one of the first to fail and fail bad. I'd rather have Lucid and Rivian around that anything Toyota.

Once they produce 500K+ real EV vehicles a year I might not underestimate them. For now, they are last in my EV book.

That got me thinking...

So, introducing the new Tesla Red Eye edition!

I can dig it, if I can bring enough urinals...