Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You realize "as far into the future as we can see." ≠ "forever", right?
@scaesare

since it's the weekend, may I suggest you can "see into a possible future among many versions" by just reading any of the 10's of 100's of 1,000's of hard science fiction authors who essentially write "if this could be true, then that might occur"

which one of the potentials collapses into reality?
_all_ of them, just not necessarily in this Instantiation

are AI's hostile, friendly, neutral, indifferent? yes

So, all of the Tesla drive units this have a gear reduction, but no "transmission" per se, so not sure "transaxle" is the right term for that...

Out of curiosity, what indicates to you this is a planetary, as opposed to the pinion style they've traditionally used, with the output side away from us where we can't see it?

Transaxle usually means that the shafts goes though the middle of the transmission, or in this case the motor

My eyes see the CV joints being on the same axis as the motor axis vc how a regular Tesla drive units is

This is a Plaid front drive unit with a traditional spur gear reduction, in red would be the half shafts for each wheel

1698012486573.png

This is how I imagine the new one, black is the motor, green planetary gearbox + differential, brown inverter and red drive shaft

1698012603574.png

Keep in mind it doesn't need to be planetary for it to be a transaxle, a spur works also, and allows for tighter packaging in a small vehicle, take a look at a GM Bolt one, it's basically that, the @15:00 you can see the transaxle part

By the way, if someone doesn't know this channel, they have hours of Tesla educational content, and goes way deeper that MunroLive since they aren't worried if you will buy something if you want to know more

I've been seeing a lot of people online lately stating how the CT will never be more than a niche EV, selling in very low volumes (like the Hummer EV) to attention seekers and tech bros only, because no real truck person would EVER buy a CT, and "Tesla won't ever make this ugly monstrosity at high volumes anyway". And "Ford and GM will easily sell many more of their EV trucks than Tesla ever will."

I think personal bias often gets in the way of rational reasoning for many people. 😒
I called it a niche on here. My opinion is based 100% on Elon, not only reiterating but appearing to dig in on stating that 250K will be the max production. If that is their plan now, it means either they don't think they can make it efficiently enough or profitably enough or, they are changing the direction of the company toward being more oriented toward autonomy then selling vehicles to consumers. I think it's both.

I also think this could be the opportunity Ford, GM and Stallantis have to stay in business. The three of them should go balls to the wall (sorry Audubon) to develop and launch electric trucks. The truck market has been their bread winner and Tesla has decided to let them keep 87% of that market.

Typically the man purchases the car, even if he's not going to be driving it much because it's well known that women are charged higher prices than men (exceptions are rare).
Not sure that's a thing in UK so much, especially with electrics. I could see that with BMW or Mercedes private purchases, but less so with other makes. Very different system from USA. Dealers have little power (but still annoy me too much to visit, I tried it once or twice).

Private leasing/PCP was dominant (I believe, hard to get stats at moment). Leasing often done by non dealers, massive companies, all on Web, not normally many physical locations. Try ALD or leasing.co.uk

PCP / Leasing also possible at dealers, it may even be the majority, but my new cars were either company cars organised by company's fleet manager or private grey import from Germany (all done by phone from newspaper advert). Leasing company arrange bulk purchases directly from manufacturer or a dealer that offered cars with little profit (told less than $400 per car even for private buyers). Servicing / tyres organised by Leasing company. I think they picked up car, can't remember visiting dealerships.

Again for UK, but even more so in Rest Of Europe, electric company cars are common. One of the largest UK EV "company car" organisations is the National Health Service, one of the biggest organisations in the world. Most of the employees are female, although ratio at senior levels might be different. Even low paid employees can get Teslas by doing salary sacrifice. Pre tax contribution would save employer taxes and employee taxes (approximately 35-55% for employees) and probably includes insurance costs. No negotiation, few factors to costs, length of lease and mileage.

Few people I know have ever bought/leased new cars from dealers. Used cars that were fleet purchases are common, usually 3 or 4 years old.

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33
A truck you can shoot with a Tommy Gun is the most desirable American car you could possibly ever make.

Period. End of story.

You think people can afford Tommy Guns? In THIS economy?

It true, double game over for everybody else.

Eh, sedans are already a niche market, high performance sedans are a niche of a niche... and I write that as someone who loves performance sedans. It'd be a nice offering, it'll draw in a FEW more guys still buying German ICE today, and it'll fulfil a promise Elon made back in 2017 but has not yet kept- but it's not gonna set the car market on fire.... and barring something much more radical than what has leaked (like a true adaptive magnetic suspension) won't tempt me to drop tens of k on trading in my perfectly working '18 Model 3 that's paid for either.

I called it a niche on here. My opinion is based 100% on Elon, not only reiterating but appearing to dig in on stating that 250K will be the max production. If that is their plan now, it means either they don't think they can make it efficiently enough or profitably enough or, they are changing the direction of the company toward being more oriented toward autonomy then selling vehicles to consumers. I think it's both.

I also think this could be the opportunity Ford, GM and Stallantis have to stay in business. The three of them should go balls to the wall (sorry Audubon) to develop and launch electric trucks. The truck market has been their bread winner and Tesla has decided to let them keep 87% of that market.
Not how I remember. Assuming good prices....

125-250k will put massive pressure on ICE oems. Tesla will be determining prices as they do in China.

350-500 k will Osborne ICE alternatives except in niche roles. People will hold onto old trucks if used for work or switch to other vehicles rather than buying a naff luxury car ("Princess Wagon" as a much missed, old cantankerous git used to describe them). High price ICE trucks won't be prestigious. Low price ones won't be profitable, especially at lower volumes.

Tesla had a cameo on Formula 1 coverage today.

Formula 1 US Grand Prix is this weekend at the Circuit of The Americas raceway, which is <10 miles away from Austin Texas Gigafactory. It is the war of the World, high interest rates, high inflation and yet 440,000 spectators were in the stands for qualifying today which saw Charles Leclerc, Ferrari, take the pole position. Hundreds of millions more (including me, and I hate ICE) watching this event around the World. Watching fast ICE cars go in circles. Cars that if designed as EVs would win every time. The fixation on ICE is slow melting. Sprint race is Saturday, Race on Sunday.

View attachment 983986
View attachment 983983
And Elon was at the race with little Æ X

1698014633736.png

Watching Formula 1 on Sky and the cameras just showed Elon Musk watching with his son as a guest of Mercedes
A good argument can be made for Mercedes being the company in early talks to license FSD.

- They don't sell enough cars to affordably develop their own tech.
- They are making an effort in EVs.
- Their customers can afford FSD - high take rate.
- They invested in TSLA when Elon needed their help.
- Their products don't have a lot of overlap with ours.
- Their customers expect the best.
- They'll be around for a while.
- We already have a factory in Germany.

That is all.

apparently cant handle a ball throw, but no prob with a machine gun in the RC candidates / production
Actually the CT did handle the iron ball a bit earlier in the day. That is why Elon and Franz seemed genuinely surprised at the unveiling of the CT when the glass cracked.

It's almost the other way round. I mean, I can vacuum my home (iRobot) or open my garage door from another country too, and that's only products that cost a couple of hundred dollars (and iRobot also auto-updates OTA). What's so surprising is how legacy OEMs, with their highly outsourced supply chain and poor innovation, are unable to master remote control like Tesla (or is it so surprising?).
I knew Tesla's over the air updates were special when they updated the brake firmware on all early Model 3's after Consumer Reports published a report critical of repeated emergency braking. Elon intervened and about week later all the Model 3's were fixed.

I would like to see some Tesla placements in shopping centres/malls just the refreshed Model 3/Y, some information boards/screens with price, range, supercharger network, etc. Price has to be prominent, and displayed in many locations, including leasing payments.

And a couple of staff members who can book test drives at nearby locations.

My rationale is the media/social media landscape is fragmented, and people tend to tune out of ads.

Many people visit shopping centres/malls, and if something grabs their attention and they decide to investigate, they pay a lot more attention.,

The same cars and staff could tour a few shopping centres, they only need to stay for a week or 2 in each location. One experienced staff member could train up a few local Uni Students to do this job.

The new Model 3 Highland is good enough to attract attention.

And repeat the exercise 3-6 months later with the Cybertruck in US locations.

I aware that they already do this, I suggest 3-4X the current program..
This price thing really needs to be announced.

Case in point: friends of my brother have been waiting (after a $500 deposit last year) to get dibs on a Hyundai Ionic 6 from a dealership in central Ontario.

They finally got an offer from the dealership to buy one; my brother showed me a PDF of the actual quote that his friend emailed him for comments.

Out the door, the cost was $CAD 74k.

For giggles, I showed my brother “what does a Model Y cost?” via the Tesla.ca website.

One has to manually add the HST to the Tesla price online to make the apples to apples comparison, but the out the door price was just shy of $CAD 70k.

I had no idea what a Model Y would cost (as I’m not in the market) but after the live exercise, the results certainly caught my brother by surprise.

I’m sure at some near term future communications with his friends, he will bring up the point.

————————

There should be some effort to get the word out that one can get a Model Y delivered within two weeks for an out the door price less than the Hyundai product.