Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something that most people missed. Oppenheimer asking the relevant question.

"Can you talk a little bit about what that look like, what your expectations are in terms of financing for the next 3 4 years to build up this fleet.
"blah blah cash flow neutral"
"We will make the right move. I think we will make the moves you think we should make."

So capital raise to build out the robotaxi fleet. Maybe end of 2020 is my prediction.
Yes, this definitely felt to me like Elon was referring to raising capital.

• Informative
Reactions: NicoV and PANN
The last time I remember Elon saying everyone else was this wrong was HFC, and he was right. His reasoning against lidar made sense too. If you have cameras you don’t need lidar, and if you have lidar you still need cameras.

High Fructose Corn syrup?
Hybrid Fiber Coax?
Hourly Forward Curve?
House Freedom Caucus?
Hydrogen Fuel Cell?

In all seriosuness though, this video, and the reports of passengers in the FSD system have me seriously pumped... gonna have to put this up again:

ScaredDapperCormorant-size_restricted.gif

Also... that video is too quiet, needs to add in the music from "Rocky" :D

Yea, so my question is what are the obvious improvements? And why, if 3.0 is sufficient ?
If nothing else, shrink to 7nm or similar, which will reduce the per-unit cost. You will likely improve perf/W and possibly total performance (via clock speed increases) by doing so, but just making smaller devices will save you some money.

I knew there was a third low, but it appeared in that image set that two were the SAME from a view. Could be WA, downscaled to same. Both images looked the same, as well as a LOW view.
All three forward cameras are at the same height. They have different fields of view / zoom level (to have both a wide forward field of view and also be able to resolve objects in the distance). So naturally, the smaller FOV cameras will look more or less like cropped versions of the higher FOV cameras. But they're physically offset horizontally across a few cm so you could do stereo vision via the portion of the higher FOV that is shared with lower FOV, but you can also do depth perception with other techniques as described in the automation event, with a single camera.

No, there’s no hands on the wheel at all, even during lane changes...

EDIT: He updated and said it’s NoA... I think it must be some unreleased version. Current version I have requires hands on wheel before making a lane change.
I'm on 2019.8.5 and the car will happily perform lane changes without touching the wheel - though eventually it will nag. Perhaps you just coincidentally have been getting nags at the same time as upcoming lane changes?

I tend to hold the wheel with one hand at the bottom when in a steady state, and often get nags if I'm not putting enough intentional torque on the wheel doing so. I almost never get nags with both hands on the wheel. However, I've had my hands off the wheel (hovering) while it's done lane changes before, too.

Incorrect: there was a sliding with the calculation how much a robomile would cost, and Elon said that they would charge 1 dollar/mile. That’s all the analysts need to remember from todays presentation.

Yes, that 1 slide with 2 items of information out of a 3 hours presentation is what I call "very little information".

Yes, this definitely felt to me like Elon was referring to raising capital.
The two obvious interpretations:
  1. We will not raise capital because we said we do not need to raise capital and will not raise capital unless it is smart to do so. You guys like that because it doesn't dilute your shares and raising capital now gives a signal that we are running out of money and will never be able to pay our bills. If it makes sense to grow the company to take over transportation with Tesla Network cars flooding the marketplace that we own ourselves, then that will happen, otherwise, we might grow sufficiently with self-funding the Tesla Network cars with lease turn-ins and the profit we make off of the Tesla Network (30% of revenue of individually owned cars and 100% of revenue of Tesla owned cars).
  2. We have an imminent capital raise coming as you predicted.
I think #1 is closer. However, since lease turn-ins require waiting years for the leases to expire, Tesla might want to beef up its fleet a bit early, however, I'm holding out hope they can fund their fleet without raises.