Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s the thing; there are more choices than #1 and #2. For starters lots of people do want to learn, just not from a dick who talks down to them like they’re an idiot. And yes, it’s irrelevant if they are an idiot. They still have value in society and possess talents and abilities you don’t.
Here we have the pot calling the kettle black. You were just talking down to people about how Service Centers being 250 miles away isn’t a problem for future customers

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and T@oo
The question I ask is, what is pushing TSLA to show their hands early now as opposed to waiting till it is ready to reveal like apple. The robotaxi should've been the "one more thing" moment. It is not like a competitor have achieved it before them forcing them to reveal something.

I think you’re forgetting that Tesla isn’t trying to do it all on their own. They’re trying to inspire others. Everyone else is taking the wrong approach in Tesla’s eyes. So, ‘here’s how you do it’.

This is how you build an EV
This is how you build a charging network
This is how you build a battery factory
This is how you do FSD

Somebody. Anybody. Copy us!!

So we can anticipate S/X sales will go back to normal again now?
I can imagine lot of older-gen (pre-2016) S owners will be wanting to upgrade with the free Ludicrous promotion.
This is pretty impressive but I want to see what the new interior looks like. Are they going to use the single center screen design of the 3 now?
I'm tempted to upgrade my older S, but I think I'd prefer to wait for the updated battery pack for >= 250 KW charging. Don't really want or care about an interior update. Also, stock price at $500 would help me to pull the trigger ;)

Last edited:
In fact, in the beginning this is how it will work, it’s like zip car. You drive it - with AP that does 90% of the work. As the NN gets better, we get march of the 9s and most trips will finish without any intervention. Behold full FSD. It will happen in some areas earlier than others. Finally, in 2100 or there abouts in India.

I see your issue now - you took FSD too literally.

Well at least he is giving us a challenge as if he's a TSLAQ member who claims Tesla's FSD is a fraud until they solve every edge case that ever existed.

I really do wonder what the hell automakers in the EU are going to do.

1) EU put together brutal and well-crafted CO2 emission penalties starting next year.

2) None of the automakers are close to meeting them (except maybe Toyota), and the paltry number of EVs some of them are expected to put out won’t help much. They started way too late.

3) No one will buy them anyway given the superiority of Teslas in the range of $40,000-$100,000

The penalties are in the billions, and they only get worse in later years. And their EVs aren’t going to get any better with respect to Tesla at this rate.

They'll keep lobbying the EU to let them off the hook, or at least push out the schedule. Sadly it may work: the EU has a long history of that sort of thing. I'd call out a few examples, but that'd probably start a political discussion.

I think they need at least 2 professional drivers, say Kyle Busch and Danica Patrick. That way the NN can learn both the aggressive male and the courteous female driving habits. /s
I'm not a fan of Kyle, but I wouldn't say he exhibits courteous female driving habits...

I talk to my car and think it will become self aware, yes. Why not, we are just circuits. If there is a spirit, my Model 3 certainly has one too. We are not the only life form or type out there... carbon is just o e example.
thank you for the input. Some people think even for example a thermostat has a small amount of consciousness. This question strikes to the base of science because consciousness/observation undeniably influences quantum states of matter. Tesla is getting right into it by designing artificially intelligent cars.

I can't keep up with this thread anymore, so I apologize if this was already mentioned. What if in addition to S/3/X cars, they eventually add Semi's as well to the TN? Think about how that could possibly disrupt the trucking industry. It may take a long time until it impacted interstate and intermodal transport, but it would be very interesting for local trucking.
Yeah, on Monday Elon said Tesla Semi would be FIRST to ship with FSD, maybe in 2020 with 5 truck plattoons. Think of the 1 human driver as a 'safety officer' while the technology proves itself.

My best guess is the stock isn't going to move much on this ER. Anyone that doesn't know the financials will look at least much worse than the last couple of quarters hasn't been following Tesla at all. If they look better than expected, it's hard to imagine it will be by much. We could very well see one of those days where we get a decent dip that climbs back up by the end of the day with a net effect of not much. I think the option sellers will make out very well this week.
The most likely headline: "Tesla Q1 earnings miss estimates". The question is how the stock price will react. On one hand, the stock price is already quite low and expectations are low. On the other hand, the earnings number will most likely missed the consensus by a lot, and shorts are ready to strike.
The current non-GAAP consensus is ($0.69). while the whisper number is ($1.13). Luv estimated ($2.24) right after P&D report. It feels as if analysts intentionally keep the number high to make sure Tesla would miss.

I talk to my car and think it will become self aware, yes. Why not, we are just circuits. If there is a spirit, my Model 3 certainly has one too. We are not the only life form or type out there... carbon is just o e example.
most circuits are not conscious, I don't think, because they don't integrate their input into the kind of hierarchy of objects that conscious beings biological or mechanical, not existent, do.

Or this:

Classic_Dukes_of_Hazzard_clip.gif

giphy.gif
The difference is - I don’t need to post a movie video ;)

• Funny
Reactions: wipster
FYI, as someone with some math / CS background, I didn't think they went very deep. The only thing on the software side which started to go deep was the one slide of the neural network architecture (the one which looks like a flowchart), which was too small to read. This was a broad architectural outline, nothing more. At this level of generality, it's also really the only possible architecture. There were a few details scattered here and there, but nothing trade-secret-like.

(OK, "some math/CS background" may be an understatement. I only have a bachelor's degree in math, but both my parents are math professors and I've studied all kinds of random math and CS stuff extracurricularly, so I actually have absorbed an awful lot of stuff from the "atmosphere" around me.)

I think they could have gone deeper, but it would just blown over most of these analysts’ heads. The software side was only the outline of what Tesla is doing, after all, these guys aren’t about to give away their trade secrets to 600,000 people tuning in. I think what’s impressive is that they had the guts to show their hardware architecture, and explain how it was built and the reasoning behind it. Even NVDIA agrees that Tesla took the FSD game to new heights; what’s the old saying, “game recognizes game..”?

thank you for the input. Some people think even for example a thermostat has a small amount of consciousness. This question strikes to the base of science because consciousness/observation undeniably influences quantum states of matter. Tesla is getting right into it by designing artificially intelligent cars.
Deepak...is that you?

Edit for spelling

I wonder if we'll get to the point where other auto manufacturers license the "skateboard" from Tesla and add value via body and interior design as well as different center console options (eg CarPlay). It reminds me of the old days of the computer industry when everyone tried to do their own unique design and finally gave up and built PC clones. In this case, Tesla is both Intel and Microsoft.