Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My hunch is production will go back up to Q4 2023 levels since we're past Chinese New Year and Fremont is producing Highland M3';s now, and hopefully no more terrorist attacks and such.

I think at best we're looking at a 1.9 million delivery year for 2024, possibly 2 million if Tesla really pushes hard.

Production levels don't dictate sales as demand is not there. They produced 46k more than they sold in Q1 and are up near 130k+ (depending on who's doing the calculation) cumulative inventory over the last few years.

Answer honestly - how many more deaths due to DUI, Aggravated Driving, Heart Attacks/Strokes, Sleepiness, Arguments, etc. do we have to live through to appreciate what FSD can do to this situation?

Haw many parties have you had a couple too many and drove? I am not saying FSD is there so we can get sugared up, but hope you get my point.

That $99/Mo sub can really help in those borderline situations.

Add the convenience factor go self drive the burger home and I am all for it.

I'm torn on this.

On the one hand it'd be very bullish because Tesla is finally admitting the 2016 config of cameras is insufficient for reliable >L2 operation and perhaps THIS TIME they actually know what IS needed.

On the other it's a tacit admission of the by-then-6-million Teslas on the road, 0 will ever be robotaxis and there'll be some significant liability overhang there... (I think once litigated it'd be only the pre 3/19 buyers actually owed something so the financial hit will be insignificant compared to upside of a working RT, but the PR will be pretty awful and a lot of existing owners are likely to... change their opinion of the company)

Why? Multiple thousands in inventory discounts didn't seem to help Q1 any- so why would a $30 monthly lease discount, which is only $1,080 total discount over the 3 years of the lease.
It's psychological, $299 "looks" much better than $329 a month. It's been proven that nines work in sales.

Answer honestly - how many more deaths due to DUI, Aggravated Driving, Heart Attacks/Strokes, Sleepiness, Arguments, etc. do we have to live through to appreciate what FSD can do to this situation?

How many parties have you had a couple too many and drove? I am not saying FSD is there so we can get sugared up, but hope you get my point.

Finally, we have a paying customer! (Maybe I didn't buy enough TSLA.)
Cheers!

Because the alternative is hiring a massive # of people to manually charge cars. Though as I mention they might need to anyway to keep the interiors cleaned out regularly. Then they'd also need some kind of shelter/booth for that person to remain on-site all shift in bad weather.

I think a single person could easily manage a fleet of over 100 RT's coming in throughout an 8 hour shift to charge and basic cleaning.

There will have to be some brick and mortar yards where there will be some humans involved in maintaining the fleet.

Consider the logistics of several shopping stops from a frame of reference of what to do with the goods purchased at each stop.

Will you remove them from the RT and carry them with you? Maybe, sometimes. Other times it will be best to leave them in the vehicle and have it wait for you as you bring more cargo back.
VERY good point. The multiple stop challenge is legit. Can it be "worked around"? Yeah, maybe, sometimes, but others would be painful (or impossible) - I'm not going to physically cart a bag of mulch around from one stop to the next. This is one reason I think the initial first "replace car ownership" use case (well after the "replace Ubers" use case) will be "replace SECOND car" at least in any kind of Suburban setting. I ASSUME folks dwelling in places like NYC might be able to adopt RTs much sooner, but for Suburbanites it will take some doing.

In truth, I wonder if many of these scenarios are just problems to be solved differently and I am just thinking of models that replicate today's problem the SAME WAY but with a RoboTaxi. @Knightshade 's comment about just using Instacart comes to mind as a different way to address grocery runs (admittedly, not w/o its own issues, but I digress). Heck, some of the roadblocks I am throwing up sound a lot like the complaints about EVs (i.e. they won't go 500 miles, charging needs to take 5 mins like a gas fillup, I need to tow 10,000 pounds up mountains, etc. ) - all valid concerns/comments, but things that, once we started actually driving EVs we began to see how there were workarounds for these issues or they just weren't that big of a deal after all...or we just had a second car (that spent a lot more time just "sitting" than most of us expected before we got our first EV).

Haw many parties have you had a couple too many and drove? I am not saying FSD is there so we can get sugared up, but hope you get my point.

Add the convenience factor go self drive the burger home and I am all for it.
In a controlled environment with all or most of the vehicles using FSD, I would agree wholeheartedly. Its why autopilot works so well in airliners, most if not all are using it (Airline SOPs).

An environment that would work today is BRT or Bus Rapid Transit. Those lanes that are for buses only, are popping up all across the nation. LA has a system of them. That network is tailor-made for FSD. Get rid of the driver and the system could interact with regular traffic where BRTs and Boulevards/ HOV lanes interact with each other.

If only Tesla made a bus.🤔🤔🤔

• Disagree
Reactions: GOVA
Tesla gutted the Berlin battery factory when the IRA invaded the US. So those batteries will be made in Austin since they will get inflation reduction money from the US Government.

I'd guess that new battery production equipment for Berlin is on order somewhere.

Several other battery factories in Europe were cancelled for the same reason.

I don't think they had to remove much of anything from Berlin that was installed, they just redirected the components (manufactured in Germany) to Texas.

This was done for the same reason Mexico is delayed. It allowed Tesla engineers already working at GigaT to be directly involved with development without adding burdens that engineering from afar, or, traveling to a place with language barriers, may hinder the process further. (GigaB and GigaM)

Add in the IRA incentives for US battery production and it was a slam-dunk good decision.

Because the battery production components are being made in Germany it would seem reasonable to expect them to be delivered at GigaB very quickly once they have finalized the line in Texas. Which, every indication is they are at that point, or are very close.

It seems more likely that other battery projects in Germany were cancelled for the same reason non-Tesla battery projects were cancelled elsewhere. Maybe other OEMs behind those battery projects weren't production-ready to commit to the supply.

Last edited:
Tesla really should just find a company that has figured that out and purchase them.

Oh, wait, they already did.
Anecdotal: a friend bought a PHEV and asked me about wireless charging. However, that might have been because the charge port is on the wrong side and they find it annoying having to walk around the vehicle just to plug in and unplug.

But wireless charging certainly has greater potential application for AVs. At scale there would be a lot of spare time at night to charge AVs. If they can handle the charging themselves that's great. Employees would then just need to work an "assembly line" to tidy up inside the cars.

Last edited:
If I wanted to see one child's school play, while simultaneously needing to pick a second child up from band practice, I could either leverage RoboTaxis OR drive to my child's school in my own car and then SEND my personal car (with FSD) to get the second child.
We have two Model 3's, but my wife works at home, so hers usually just sits in the garage. I could use my personal FSD car to drive to work (about an hour), send it back if she needed it during the day, and then have it come pick me back up.

Then there's the whole "family's who are about to have teens that can drive" scenario. A RT network that could take my 16 year old anywhere, at any time, would save us a TON of money....and we only have 1 kid!

I'm liking the combo personal/RT network so far...at least for the next 10 to 20 years I guess. Then, once this is all fleshed out, I'm fine with an all out RT network.

Not sure if it's been discussed, but how is Tesla planning to grow volumes in Q2 and the second half of 2024? They just ended inventory discounts and raised prices $1k on April 1st. They previously had a demand problem (supply > sales) as @Troy has noted since late 2022. Increasing price only decreases demand if you aren't materially changing the product you're selling.

Any theories on how (or if) Tesla will grow unit volumes the rest of the year?
4D Chess.

VERY good point. The multiple stop challenge is legit. Can it be "worked around"? Yeah, maybe, sometimes, but others would be painful (or impossible) - I'm not going to physically cart a bag of mulch around from one stop to the next.
In truth, I wonder if many of these scenarios are just problems to be solved differently and I am just thinking of models that replicate today's problem the SAME WAY but with a RoboTaxi. ...

Exactly. Its sort of like the discussions of "But how am I going to haul my boat around!!??" I mean -- if you're really the person who needs to haul mulch a couple of times a week, you'll want to always own a pickup truck. For the 98% of people who never haul mulch, its not an issue. For the people who do it once a year to set their gardens, they'll shift to getting it delivered rather than owning an $80k vehicle for that once a year event. Home Depot already delivers. This ain't new.

Its just a matter of people changing their habits to adjust to more advantageous ways of using the technology available to us. And its not a sacrafice that I'm suggesting -- those will really start to be the best/easiest use of time and money to achieve the goal, and people will start to recognize it and adjust.

Someone posted a fair argument and it's gone. The question was "But there's no (US) competition?" to my comment on overseas prices. Huge assumption IMO.

BYD said that they have no plans to enter the US BEV market - today! So are we somehow immune from competition by de-globalizing and more tarriffs? I have trouble believing the US could keep all competition out without royally juicing inflation here in the US. But it sounds like that's the plan. 🤷‍♂️

If it costs
1713373485981.png

... who can afford any car?

Reactions: advocate8 and MD70
I think the talk of $4000/share price is insane. The company would be valued at $12.8 trillion (with the 3.2 billion float), more than anything else out there and larger than Microsoft, Apple, Google, Amazon, nVidia combined.
There is too much occurring today to focus on everything but, irrespective of the absolute merits of these numbers, I wish all would bear the following in mind. Just file it away to keep a perspective:
Some number of years decades ago, either the CEO or CFO at Pfizer, then with Merck far and away the two largest names in the pharmaceutical industry, told me "A takeover? That couldn't happen. We have a market cap of twelve billion dollars!"

On edit: perhaps I need add I am making reference to the $12.8T market cap and the reactions of some that such a level is ridiculous. That nugget I provided above suffices for those of you curious about when that was to determine such, and then see what happened to the entire US and world capital markets very shortly thereafter.
$12.8T today for any company is indeed outlandish - for me at least. $12.8T tomorrow? It’s almost guaranteed, as long as “tomorrow” stays undefined.

@unk45 made a valid point regarding Tesla needing to up their game in regard to training. Particularly for having knowledgeable people ( or AI ) in positions that interface with the public to solve complex problems in Sales, Customer Service, and other roles where building knowledge will immediately enhance the customer experience.

May even be useful for imparting the 'Tesla state of mind' to production employees. (though I suspect something like this already exists for them)

Applications include any position that can't be farmed out to someone looking at a computer screen with a list of FAQs who has no product experience or knowledge to draw from.

Maybe Tesla could set up their equivalent to Mc Donald's "Hamburger U" as a training facility. Such training on actual humans could be translated to AI as well. Double your NN, double your fun!

VERY good point. The multiple stop challenge is legit. Can it be "worked around"? Yeah, maybe, sometimes, but others would be painful (or impossible) - I'm not going to physically cart a bag of mulch around from one stop to the next. This is one reason I think the initial first "replace car ownership" use case (well after the "replace Ubers" use case) will be "replace SECOND car" at least in any kind of Suburban setting. I ASSUME folks dwelling in places like NYC might be able to adopt RTs much sooner, but for Suburbanites it will take some doing.

In truth, I wonder if many of these scenarios are just problems to be solved differently and I am just thinking of models that replicate today's problem the SAME WAY but with a RoboTaxi. @Knightshade 's comment about just using Instacart comes to mind as a different way to address grocery runs (admittedly, not w/o its own issues, but I digress). Heck, some of the roadblocks I am throwing up sound a lot like the complaints about EVs (i.e. they won't go 500 miles, charging needs to take 5 mins like a gas fillup, I need to tow 10,000 pounds up mountains, etc. ) - all valid concerns/comments, but things that, once we started actually driving EVs we began to see how there were workarounds for these issues or they just weren't that big of a deal after all...or we just had a second car (that spent a lot more time just "sitting" than most of us expected before we got our first EV).
Congrats, you have progressed to Green Belt. No, seriously... your "digression" was logical. (I only made it to Orange belt but won a silver metal in LA on a tie match and got to meet the Grand Master from S Korea.)

1713373979358.png

Here's the jewel... "just problems to be solved differently." This is mostly what I see bouncing around here recently. The pessimism here is because it doesn't fit existing mental models. The arguments against it are literally comical as people try to fit square pegs into a round hole, except it's not round at all.

Agreed. While I’m happy to see Tesla aggressively pursuing autonomy and AGI, the idea of delivering a true RoboTaxi (i.e. a vehicle without foot controls and a steering wheel) seems pretty far off to me.

Even if all the technical pieces were in place, I simply don’t see regulations allowing it. Tesla currently has to deliver vehicles with rear-view and side-view mirrors, despite the fact their camera system is superior. Tesla has to include mirrors because of industry regulations, and I don’t see this changing anytime soon, especially with regard to vehicle controls. Of course none of this is new, and I’m sure Tesla knows regulations change at a snail’s pace. I have to believe a consumer version (includes manual controls) of RT is still in play. This seems like the most reasonable solution until regulations catch up.

The RT reveal can’t come soon enough. I can’t imagine another four months of speculation.
To be more succinct in this thinking, how can Tesla deliver RoboTaxis without steering wheels and foot pedals if they can’t deliver Cybertrucks without mirrors?🧐

Finally, we have a paying customer! (Maybe I didn't buy enough TSLA.)
Cheers!
A few points:

1. As investors, the number one thing is that FSD is about to be solved. While we debate what I could call "totally solved" one thing which should drop away, even at the standards of the current version, is that FSD is some sort of experiment that is not worth paying for. Its worth it now, some might say "finally." But regardless of the past, now is now.

2. As an aside, I don't believe there is any problem with the sensor suite and hardware. When Tesla said that at least a 3.0 computer was needed, I don't see any reason not to take them at their word. Its was not then a lie, its not like some "to be invented 5.0 hardware" was needed.

3. What was needed, was the advance, which we call all see with v12, to move into city situations with the visual inputs expanded. I am constantly surprised, I guess, that its hardly ever mentioned that the difference between an actual driver and FSD is that FSD does not anticipate situations. Maybe this is because I have been using it since 2019, but I constantly think about how my own driving is at least 30% anticipating what to do next rather than actually observing the situation. Its not about more hardware, its not about controlling the car better, its about the software becoming more and more able to react to the visual cues that are blatantly out there in a driving situation. Thats why FSD is so great for older drivers, as we age, our actual perceptions and reflexes get worse, we rely more and more on all the experience of "what happened in the past" - sure enough (just like investing) relying on "what happened in the past" burns a driver of a car. P.S. thats probably the main reason why young drivers are not very good. The do not have the experience to anticipate well and, for the most part, simply do not driver slowly enough to allow their still developing experience to work. FSD is already "better" than a first year driver in the situations it is designed to handle.

I am convinced that FSD can achieve autonomy in driving with no need for anticipation. How it is monetized is a separate question which we are all speculating on. One thing which got passed over is the use case for food deliveries. In its present version, FSD can get to the front of someone's house from a restaurant. Frankly, deliveries of all kinds.

Reactions: Dayreg and SOULPEDL
To be more succinct in this thinking, how can Tesla deliver RoboTaxis without steering wheels and foot pedals if they can’t deliver Cybertrucks without mirrors?🧐

What if every RT is designed to be configured with or without steering wheel, foot pedals, and mirrors. There would be a "driver package" that connects electronically to the vehicle's network bus after being physically installed?

And, this package could easily be converted from driver to driverless and back as needed, in the field.

Would that address this question sufficiently?