Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right now I do not have an opinion on the Board's proposal to leave Delaware and reincorporate into Texas, because I don't understand the ramifications. Is there anyone who knows more about this topic?

From what I've read here, Texas is a wild card as they are just now starting to position themselves in league with traditionally preferred states like Delaware (formerly) and Nevada as choice locations for businesses to incorporate.

Texas has yet to prove themselves over time with support of legislators and courts toward providing a safe haven for incorporated businesses.

Boring Co reincorporated in Nevada earlier this year, SpaceX reincorporated in Texas around the same time.

It is curious what led to the choice of Texas for SpaceX and Tesla, other than goodwill towards the state in the hope of reciprocation should push come to shove in the courts. It seems more like a bet more than a strategy, but, is likely still a better wager than either of these companies staying in Delaware.

There is every chance that Texas could earn business-friendly status for incorporation over time.

The blush is off the rose for Delaware, and I expect their time-honored reputation has been irreparably tarnished.

It's disappointing that some investors are not ready to engage in productive discussions regarding their investment.
Stop it. Let me know when you’ve read this thread from start to finish. Then I want to see you come back and say this with a straight face. You’ve been here a few days. You know nothing.
My behaviour doesn't change. I buy/short a company when I think there's a delta between its value and the price at which it's trading on a particular day.
You’re in the wrong thread.
I find it disappointing that this forum would actively take measures to make it more of an echo-chamber, don't see how that's productive in any way, but if that's the decision, I won't mind it. If you don't get "bears" in the discussion, then you'll never have a balance of arguments, as by definition any investor in a company has a positive outlook.
🙄 Is there some sort of playbook out there that states Step 2: roll into a forum thread and tell everyone they’re in an echo chamber?

Do you think you’re the first person to trot that out? Please. This forum is not and never has been an echo chamber.

Agreed except that I think the part about the car as an appreciating asset may be hard to sell in light of lowered FSD subscription prices and unless there is a pretty clear path to Robotaxi revenues and even more so revenue sharing.
Factually, the cars have been appreciating assets in the past.

Factually, none of us knows if it will happen again, but many can see a possible path to it.

$TSLA is a strange color today, shortze's covering or someone knows something?
All the people they tried to get to sell, already sold. There's nobody left, except a couple here maybe.
That, and the price is already baked in. I should have bought more this AM? I keep messing up!!!

Right now I do not have an opinion on the Board's proposal to leave Delaware and reincorporate into Texas, because I don't understand the ramifications. Is there anyone who knows more about this topic?

This is pretty simple. Imagine the situation is analogous to domestic abuse. Do you stay with the abuser, making excuses for them, or do you get out of Dodge?

$TSLA is a strange color today, shortze's covering or someone knows something?
I think the consensus among bears and shorts right now is "job well done." Projects have been closed down prior to the obviously very new and very real, pertinent information coming at the end of the day. They will be feverishly working through it this evening generating their FUD angles. Very few are so crazy to fool around with the stock today - in light of the success so far. Without them in the mix, TSLA will naturally drift upwards (especially on a macro up-day)

Did you even read the post you quoted? Cutting the price down while scaling up which reduces costs so margins can remain higher long term is the plan. Once economics improve, interest rates fall then prices will go back up and new record profits will follow.
There is a hard assumption here:
cutting the price low will "not just stop the demand going down, but power enough to push it up a lot" to the point that "scaling up and reduces cost".
Not sure how much does Tesla need to cut.
Of course I hope that this $2000 cut will be the last before cost actually going down.

This is like the Romans invented bronze and we're about to surprise the *sugar* out of our enemies.

This also surprised the sugar out of me, because I thought it was the Sumerians who invented bronze. Indeed I was under the impression that iron was in use in southeast Europe since about 1200 BCE, and Romulus and Remus didn't act out their sibling rivalry until 500 BCE... 🐺

I know a couple of points:

* Delaware has proven that they like to bully around with Tesla
* The Tesla board want to move to Texas presumably after some consideration

Conclusion:

I know nothing about Texas in this context - but I know that Delaware is bad for us.
Maybe good > known bad.
So move please.

I think the whole FSD price cuts and 'appreciating asset' debate misses the real target. Imagine a nightmare scenario where for some insanely unlikely reason, all progress on FSD stops, and V12.3.5 is the final version (for at least 5 years anyway). Go take a look at videos on X (by users, not Tesla) showing all the complete zero-intervention A->B drives.

Now, it may not be a true RT, and you will still need a driving license and to pay attention, but this means for 90% of your time in your car, you just sit there and dont have to do anything. Great for commutes, great for coming home late, or for people of advanced years who don't have the driving skill they used to have. Great for driving somewhere new.

Given a choice between ANY OTHER CAR, and the car that can usually drive itself, and given the SAME price, which car do you pick?

The marginal cost to provide FSD per buyer is almost zero. The sensor suite ships as standard, and its basically an in-app purchase, and provides subscription revenue. Its a laughably good business model.

FOr the last 50 years, cars have basically been commodities. They all have power steering, anti-lock brakes, electric windows, radios, heaters and so-on. They are such commodities that companies spend BILLIONS trying to pretend your choice of brand 'says something about you', because otherwise we might realize they are basically all the same.

FSD changes all that, and nobody else can possibly compete, due to the data-collection fleet size requirement. Tesla are not only the only company selling smart-phones in a dumb-phone world, they are the only ones who COULD make a smart phone. Its INSANE. No wonder every possible bit of dark-money troll-farm horsecrap is being thrown at them by legacy auto, oil companies, dealerships, and the politicians and media outlets in their pockets. They have all lost, and they are desperately trying to stop the inevitable.
Bring it on.

You (and James Clear) are making this up. Elon starts with what he is sure is true. You know, like gravity. You don't really care if people believe in it because they fall down whether or not they believe. That's a first principle. Sure, physics has edges, where the known becomes iffy. All science is hypothesis, just with varying levels of uncertainty. But most engineering is based on settled theory.

Sure, you can make attempts to apply this sort of reasoning outside of areas where you can determine truth, but it's then useful only insofar as you are correct in determining your "first principles", your basic truths. And that's going to be a subject of endless debate. Which means, as I said, that there are no first principles. You can do something like "first principles" reasoning by trying to start with "basics", things that most experienced and savvy practitioners in the field agree is right. But, as we've seen over and over again throughout history, such rules of thumb and common sense are repeatedly shown to simply be sloppy thinking.

There are no first principles of economics. There are no first principles of marketing. There are no first principles of software. There are no first principles of psychology. And (sadly, as of yet) there are no first principles of fluid dynamics. Asserting otherwise is nonsense and leads us into error. We, including Elon, do the best we can without first principles in those areas.
Get off your high semantic horse. This is supremely tiresome, not the least for its picayunity.

It's disappointing that some investors are not ready to engage in productive discussions regarding their investment. It's very naive to think that anyone would try to influence the market by going on a forum. On a stock that trades ~100m shares / day. When I was on your side of the investment I always searched for counter-arguments to my thesis.

My behaviour doesn't change. I buy/short a company when I think there's a delta between its value and the price at which it's trading on a particular day. I find it disappointing that this forum would actively take measures to make it more of an echo-chamber, don't see how that's productive in any way, but if that's the decision, I won't mind it. If you don't get "bears" in the discussion, then you'll never have a balance of arguments, as by definition any investor in a company has a positive outlook.

You have shown your colors. By doing so, your honesty lends an aspect of reason and strategy to the discussion. More than many we've seen here of late whose posts have been blatently disruptive and dishonest.

It is appreciated how you are open minded enough to do so. I hope you can understand how some bad apples have left the long-term folks feeling a little gun-shy about newcomers beating a drum of negativity during negative times when balance would enhance the conversations more effectively.

Your perspective is more useful in this thread when all the cards are on the table. This way your stance on TSLA as currently being short can be weighed along with your opinion. Knowing a potential for bias exists allows for a more honest exchange of perspectives.

I wish more of those who come here to share a negative opinion would lead their posts with honesty about their position and their goals. I expect folks would be less likely to respond so defensively when there is no hidden aspect leading to suspect an agenda to disrupt the thread.