Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like @uscbucsfan has pointed out, maybe Elon is just trying to get his message across. He has to understand that not everyone is wired like he is, how this plays out, who knows? I am sure there is a waiting list of people wanting to work at Tesla, it is definitely not for the faint of heart.

I'm sure that waiting list of people wanting to work at Tesla is quite a bit shorter than it was only a few weeks ago, sad to say.

This neural net is running entirely end-to-end, meaning that it only consumes video coming from the bot’s 2D cameras, as well as on-board proprioceptive sensors, and produces joints control sequences directly. It runs entirely on the bot’s embedded FSD computer, powered by the on-board battery. It is designed such that a single neural net can perform multiple tasks as we add more diverse data to the training process.

The progress so far is very good, however...

The entire Bot software is NOT running end to end.

It seems the upper limb tasks are.

However the balance / walking are not, given previous tweets with too many specifics of fine tuning issues you wouldn't be doing if end-to-end.

If they were doing end to end for the balance and walking, they would let us know very clearly, which they have not.

To add my $0.02 to the discussion regarding work hours, I not only have no issue with Elon's tough demands, but I applaud it.

Things may have changed, but back in the day, it was known by pretty much everyone that there were some companies that demanded brutal hours. Top law firms (e.g., Wachtel Lipton) management consulting firms (e.g, McKinsey), investment banks (e.g., Goldman Sachs), etc. I'm sure there are others, but those come to mind. Expectations were known and communicated; there were no surprises. Those who joined knew what to expect. Those who somehow filtered through but weren't on board with the hours didn't last long. I expect it was similar at the likes of Apple, Google and Facebook in their early years.

The one key point is that jobs at these top companies in their respective fields were all in high demand by potential employees. It's a virtuous circle. Success draws hard working, high achieving employees who like to work with like-minded high achievers, who then propagate continued success, which draws more highly motivated employees.

As others have said, it's not for everyone. Most people wouldn't be happy working at Tesla. I know I wouldn't (because I'm a spoiled and lazy boomer 😂). I applaud Elon for running a tight ship. It's this attention and focus that allowed Tesla to break through their Model 3 manufacturing hell and near bankruptcy.

It's clear to me that some amount of entropy had set in. My guess is Elon has not been fully engaged (due to X, SpaceX, etc.), but now he is back. He sees issues that need to be addressed. He is cleaning house, getting rid of those who are not on the same page as him, getting more hands-on (letting go of senior management is a sure sign of this) and setting expectations for current as well as new employees. Elon in manic mode bodes well for Tesla and TSLA.

While this can be fully true, the irony is that the CEO himself is complicit in this. He has not been fully engaged, but expects his employees to be?

To add my $0.02 to the discussion regarding work hours, I not only have no issue with Elon's tough demands, but I applaud it.

Things may have changed, but back in the day, it was known by pretty much everyone that there were some companies that demanded brutal hours. Top law firms (e.g., Wachtel Lipton) management consulting firms (e.g, McKinsey), investment banks (e.g., Goldman Sachs), etc. I'm sure there are others, but those come to mind. Expectations were known and communicated; there were no surprises. Those who joined knew what to expect. Those who somehow filtered through but weren't on board with the hours didn't last long. I expect it was similar at the likes of Apple, Google and Facebook in their early years.

The one key point is that jobs at these top companies in their respective fields were all in high demand by potential employees. It's a virtuous circle. Success draws hard working, high achieving employees who like to work with like-minded high achievers, who then propagate continued success, which draws more highly motivated employees.

As others have said, it's not for everyone. Most people wouldn't be happy working at Tesla. I know I wouldn't (because I'm a spoiled and lazy boomer 😂). I applaud Elon for running a tight ship. It's this attention and focus that allowed Tesla to break through their Model 3 manufacturing hell and near bankruptcy.

It's clear to me that some amount of entropy had set in. My guess is Elon has not been fully engaged (due to X, SpaceX, etc.), but now he is back. He sees issues that need to be addressed. He is cleaning house, getting rid of those who are not on the same page as him, getting more hands-on (letting go of senior management is a sure sign of this) and setting expectations for current as well as new employees. Elon in manic mode bodes well for Tesla and TSLA.

I agree to a point, but the Model 3 hell was about to shut the company down and it was purely survival mode then. That's not the situation now nor did they have 126,000 employees back then (after that 10% cut). Tesla stock was also worth ~$21 back in 2018 (maybe $10 billion market cap (if same float) vs. $558 billion now?).

Again, none of this is not a knock on Elon and he can demand whatever he wants (80 hours, 60, 100 hours), my point is that unlike some responders, people aren't working/begging to work at Tesla just because of some mission and $$ isn't a factor. It's a HUGE factor as noted from that article. He needs to pay up and a lot to get folks to work for him like any other company. Remember, Elon is already wealthy and owns a ton of stock already. New hires, no matter how much is paid, doesn't have as much equity incentive really unless he ponys up since they start with 0 shares.

Despite Tesla being around a while, the Tesla CEO still has the startup mentality. I'm retired now but in my 1st engineering jobs I put in 70 HR weeks. It was noticed and co-workers on the rise who later left for other companies and managers who were not my own noticed it and I forever had lots of job opportunities. Fortunately they were not 70HR/wk jobs but way more than 40ish hours.
Later I had a nice rest at companies like DEC working 50. Most of my jobs were at small companies where more hours were needed.
Don't go into engineering if you don't want to work long hours. Unless it's big companies like Boeing where you just suck up to mgmnt.
I think Elon's 80 was his typical hyperbole but I wouldn't be there lots less than 70 if I wanted a paycheck.

I remember one job where there was a major re-org. The new CEO told me he wanted me to go run a fiber optic telecom engineering group on the West coast part time as well as my MA job. They'd just fired the CEO there that lunchtime, and the company & product was a mess.
I said, "Bob, no thanks. I'd rather not do that."
He said, "Fine. So you're telling me you don't want a paycheck?"
I replied instantly, "I'll be on the 9AM flight." (It was the infamous Flight 11 BOS-LAX but pre 9/11)
Hated the job at first. Turned out to be the best job and best boss I ever had. "Just bring me the revenue" was all the direction.

I agree to a point, but the Model 3 hell was about to shut the company down and it was purely survival mode then. That's not the situation now nor did they have 126,000 employees back then (after that 10% cut). Tesla stock was also worth ~$21 back in 2018 (maybe $10 billion market cap (if same float) vs. $558 billion now?).

Again, none of this is not a knock on Elon and he can demand whatever he wants (80 hours, 60, 100 hours), my point is that unlike some responders, people aren't working/begging to work at Tesla just because of some mission and $$ isn't a factor. It's a HUGE factor as noted from that article. He needs to pay up and a lot to get folks to work for him like any other company. Remember, Elon is already wealthy and owns a ton of stock already. New hires, no matter how much is paid, doesn't have as much equity incentive really unless he ponys up since they start with 0 shares.
The first service guy I had back in 2012 retired from Tesla a multi-millionaire. Seems he was richly rewarded for his hard work.

1000008315.jpg

Seems like they're moving along with cybertruck deliveries. Just confirmed my design for my awd foundation cybertruck with range extender. Reservation was #113 and I wasn't expecting to get it for 2 more years. Happy to get it sooner and support Elon and the Tesla team.

View attachment 1045145

Seems like they're moving along with cybertruck deliveries. Just confirmed my design for my awd foundation cybertruck with range extender. Reservation was #113 and I wasn't expecting to get it for 2 more years. Happy to get it sooner and support Elon and the Tesla team.
Someone had a 118 reservation number and was invited. Did you use the investor program?

• Helpful
Reactions: Blue horseshoe

You seem convinced that people with skills in ridiculous demand are motivated purely by money. Just not true.
I'm an ex AI programmer, with a lot of experience. I remember vividly turning down a job that was a 20 minute easy commute, with no more than 40 hours a week, a stable company and reasonable pay, to go work at a scrappy startup with uncertain future, 2.5 hours commute each way and long hours. The funny thing is, I don't even recall if they paid any more, and it was definitely way less after the commute was paid for.

Do you really think top AI talent chooses between Tesla, Nvidia, DeepMind and OpenAi based purely on salary?
Spoiler: The salary for a top AI coder at all of those places is VERY very high. The only differentiator is what you will be working on.

You seem convinced that people with skills in ridiculous demand are motivated purely by money. Just not true.
I'm an ex AI programmer, with a lot of experience. I remember vividly turning down a job that was a 20 minute easy commute, with no more than 40 hours a week, a stable company and reasonable pay, to go work at a scrappy startup with uncertain future, 2.5 hours commute each way and long hours. The funny thing is, I don't even recall if they paid any more, and it was definitely way less after the commute was paid for.

Do you really think top AI talent chooses between Tesla, Nvidia, DeepMind and OpenAi based purely on salary?
Spoiler: The salary for a top AI coder at all of those places is VERY very high. The only differentiator is what you will be working on.

That's not my point neither (it's only $$ as you claim). Things are not that black and white. It IS a huge factor however and my only reason for responding/posting was to point out to someone (turns out it was you) who said Tesla people simply don't care about money at all and only the mission was a wrong comment. I'm sure you agree with that yourself.

You said and I quote: "...Its not a place to work at because of the high salary..."

Clearly, those articles state $$ is a major factor and even Elon said that guy would've left unless he moved to xAi. Forcing people to work 80 hours is also a factor. Their work/life balance is a factor. Job security, what they are doing, the work, mission, it's all a factor.

Look at the original message I replied to, you said people at Tesla don't work there because of a high salary, those articles clearly contradict your point since Elon himself has said he had to be very aggressive in compensation just to keep AI people because if it was not about the $$, they would have just stayed without the dollars to keep them vs. a competitor.

Last edited:
Worth sharing, first hand experience. My Tesla Solar + 2 Powerwalls are 5 yrs old.

I just engaged my vehicles to charge on excess solar generation through the App. Aside from this amazing integration (and why the Tesla ecosystem is growing in strength), it solves 2 things. 1 for me, 1 for Tesla.

1. We are no longer giving away power during the day to the utility company, for them to turn around and sell it to my neighbors with some 10x margin at the same moment in time... to move the electrons 50' away AND lightening their local power loads.

2. When the Powerwalls reach 100% as early as noon, they now stays at 100% with any surplus solar going to the vehicle. This eliminates unecessary battery cycling and will likely extend battery life in a major way. They are still under Tesla Battery warranty.

The effect is that when my AC comes on, the EV charging adjusts the Amps accordingly for a fairly steady net zero with the grid. Before, I was manually doing this by turning on the AC and turning off the charging in blocks of time. Throw in the pool pump for cleaning mid-afternoon, 3D print something...

Despite the efforts, this was not very effective and an obvious need. But Tesla pulled it off and I didn't even have to ask. I could never get it right and some power always "got away", but now I'm am saving both time and money.

Plus, it's cutting off my leach-like Utility during the day. Folks, this is older tech, and somehow Tesla provided this upgrade today?
Bravo again and thank you!

Edit - The App.
IMG_7459.png

The Model Y in the garage was priceless!

Last edited: