Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I don’t think Uncle Leo is changing his vote any time soon.
If he was so smart, why did he keep buying shares/options at ATH post 2018. As a billionaire he should have had a team doing the homework on company/Elon/BoD, but was likely listening to ChickenGenius then. No excuse for billionaires(not like us)with a lot at their disposal to do they homework.

When he got a pic with Elon he was happy as a little kid.

Just personal vendetta now .. Greed got the better of him .. join the TeslaEconomist club please Uncle Leo.

SOUR GRAPES!!

Last edited:
I'm not sure where the 25% increase in the headline comes from when the table below in the article tops out near 5%.

Oh, yeah Cleantechnica is one of those sites that uses Hybrids for the headline.

Still real EV sales are up for April even for the VW ID3 at the bottom of the list.

1717949923313.png

Reactions: FEERSUMENDJIN
Europe is about to levy tariffs on Chinese-built cars, so it makes sense to provide more Ys from Berlin. I wonder if they have a similar plan for Model 3?
When this was discussed first a few month ago there was a EU probe into a few Chinese companies to judge how much of a competitive advantage they had through their government to decide whether to set up tariffs for import into the EU. At the time I found that Tesla would not be affected by that, but looking at current articles (see below for example) it seems this is really not certain:

Tesla has 0% financing for Model Y in Germany, but who´d know if even I have to look into the fine print on the order page to find out :rolleyes:.
Federal incentive "Umweltbonus" of 4500 EUR suddenly ended last fall.

BEVs sales in May were down 30.6% compared to May 2023:

Yesterday Tesla has introduced a 6000 EUR discount on the Y in Germany, calling it "Umweltbonus" after the German government incentives that ended last fall. That is exactly the complete amount that was previously split between the government and the car manufacturer.

Some say this has gone down the drain and many good folks have left …
But even more worrying for me is why we see folks feeling that their posts will get thrashed/ deleted and they will get banned…?
I am pretty sure a post by @The Accountant stating his similar frustrations may have been removed yesterday. Since nothing in his post was political or discussing Twitter, etc., I am hopeful he simply decided to delete it instead of the post being deleted by Mods. That guy has been incredibly insightful, informative, and helpful over the years, and I am sincerely grateful for his unselfish efforts. I sure hope to see him back here soon. Thanks @The Accountant !!!

It's 90% of retail investors which make up about 47.5% of the voting power when you exclude Elon and Kimball.

The challenge is we don't know what % of the 47.5% have voted and for sure it is less than institutions.

I’m just picking at the wording and specifics because there can be a huge difference between these things and it’s not clear what Elon means with his word choice.

IE you could have 9 people who own 10 shares voting Yes and 1 person who owns 1,000 shares voting No but say 90% of the people have voted Yes.

But we do! I posted this data before. California requires companies running autonomous vehicles to report interventions based on clear definitions.
This has been hashed out here ad nauseam. The CA reporting requirements are irrelevant to this discussion. What we need to know about is any intervention that costs Waymo money. Every time a remote operator has to do something to get a Waymo going or keep it on track, it costs Waymo money. We do not have insight into that, but it appears to be a very frequent occurrence.

I hope you do realize Tesla's losses related to FSD are easily quite large as well,
This is the brilliance of Elon's approach. FSD already makes significant revenue. The deferred revenue sits at $3.5 billion. The recognized revenue for FSD and EAP is billions more. Plus, this capability helps Tesla sell more cars. It has been funding the R&D until Tesla is ready to roll out robotaxis.

I don't think it's even true that Tesla has overall losses related to FSD. Up to this point it has probably been profitable if you count the deferred revenue and additional auto sales.

(BTW, I'd love to see a better analysis. Anybody have good numbers?)

If Tesla would start tomorrow, judging by publicly available intervention data, their operational costs on interventions alone would be ~100x higher than Waymo's. Based on data available today. Reported to regulators by Waymo (so presumed to be valid) and community-collected through the FSD tracker for Tesla. I think it's very safe to assume that Tesla's numbers collected internally are not miles better, as we well know Elon loves to point out even small mistakes in what media reports.
There is no publicly available intervention data that is relevant to this discussion. That goes for both Waymo and Tesla. And there is no way Waymo or Tesla would report internal data right now. There would be no advantage.

It looks to me like Waymo's solution is costing billions and it doesn't scale.

It looks to me like Tesla's solution is self-funding and it will scale.

I think it won't be that much longer before we know for sure.

BTW, Alexandra Mertz says she is very optimistic about a "yes" vote on Elon's pay package. I think her words were that officially, she's slightly optimistic and unofficially she's very optimistic.

She is less optimistic about the redomestication vote.

This was on Herbert's podcast.

Take it for what it's worth, but I trust her and she knows more about this than I do.

Anyone else find it amazing that in the last year or so:
Twitter was absolutely transformed, and has hugely improved features
Neuralink got their first real patient
SpaceX pretty much aced their starship test and recovery
FSD12 showed such huge progress

I know people think Elon is 'distracted', but any of the above would be a huge career crowning achievement for most CEOS. To do all 4 in one year is frankly insane. What has Tim Cook achieved in the last year? A meek launch of a VR headset and cancelled car project. What about Microsoft? Google?

I hate some of Elons twitter posts too, but love others. He is a mixed bag. But the bag is certainly amazing when taken as a whole. The April EV charts show that Tesla is the ONLY western car company that matters when it comes to shifting units. Without Elon/Tesla, EVs are basically a Chinese invention.

Yesterday Tesla has introduced a 6000 EUR discount on the Y in Germany, calling it "Umweltbonus" after the German government incentives that ended last fall. That is exactly the complete amount that was previously split between the government and the car manufacturer.

Sorry, only realizing now that this is only for inventory cars, see the small print here at the bottom: https://www.tesla.com/de_DE/
¹ Valid for pre-configured Model Y vehicles, subject to delivery by June 30, 2024. If delivery is not made by that date, the Tesla Environmental Reward will not be applied to your order. Tesla will not be liable if, for any reason, delivery of your vehicle cannot be made by June 30, 2024 and you are unable to benefit from this promotion. Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles and other used vehicles are excluded from this offer. The Tesla Environmental Reward cannot be combined with other offers or financial offers, such as the 0% or 1.99% interest offer for financing certain Model Y vehicles. If you apply and receive such incentive or financing offers, the Tesla Environmental Reward will not apply.