Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At this point it's about sufficient cash on hand to fund future projects. No way can they fund Semi, Roadster, Y, Pickup even if the lines were free. $2b in cash is insufficient for these projects. I bet he has funding lined up for a cap raise

Notably, they had 10,600 cars in transit that were, presumably, delivered shortly after EOQ. Assume, say, $60k ASP and that’s $636 million.

Here's a question...

Market cap is approaching $40b with only two thirds of the shares on the stock exchange.

At what point can Elon friends just buy back the whole goddamn company? Either they could do it in one shot "Considering taking private at $280" or get some allies to steadily increase their institutional holdings? Obviously that would drive the share price back up...

Well all Elon would need to do is say 'cya imma outta here' and then he could buy it with his pocket lint.

Henry Ford did it. We've discussed this here before.

Elon Musk's plan to take Tesla private isn't crazy. Just ask Henry Ford

Reactions: cricketman
This has finally reached my breaking point. I have liquidated substantial (for me) safe, income yielding assets in order to buy more TSLA. I really do not expect any major gains for some time, but this is a ridiculous situation.

FWIW, any serious investor should IMHO examine some TSLA accounting policies and business policy changes:
First, they recognize income for any product sale only when title is executed and payment has been received.

Second, they are VERY conservative in treatment of residual values/resale guarantees (quick calculations on those two should be done by investors who just might figure out they're recognizing value loss in this quarter on all vehicles subject to those agreements even though actual incidence of loss, if any, would apply to much less than 50% of vehicles due to numerous exceptions).

Third, actual ASP's and further market expansion to places where there are pre-existing order backlogs for Model 3 strongly suggest there is no demand problem.
Fourth, China and GF-3 are clearly and obviously ahead of schedule.

Fifth, continuing battery shortages mean there is still much more opportunity for better GM's on storage and cars.

Sixth, if Elon has made one thing abundantly clear it is that he fully intends to reduce EOQ rush, improve customer service and further improve vehicle/battery longevity while reducing maintenance/repair.

Lastly, just look at the GM's. How is it possible to complain about those? Obviously, foolish people and professional cynics can do so, but nobody who knows the auto industry can imagine TSLA GM's to anything other than highly bullish, even in a disastrous quarter.

So, FUD or no, I am once again increasing my TSLA holdings. Luckily for me my average cost is still in the green even though I kept buying small amounts even above $350. I do not regret it, but I am a very long term investor so I don't expect to do too much timing...except now, again.

Hostile takeover. Elon does not have a controlling share in the company.

If people think GM's stupid Cruze technology is worth $14 billion, a large tech firm might be willing to pay much more for Tesla's self-driving IP alone. Buying a controlling share in Tesla if SP drops under $200 will be about that same amount (~$16b).
There is zero chance that companies like Ford with lots of cash and not much strength in these areas aren't watching closely. Heck, even those long standing apple rumors, if TSLA goes low enough all sorts of vultures might come out of the woodwork.

I'm not worried about Tesla dying, no matter what any of the idiot Q crowd says it's not worth 0... I'm worried about Tesla getting gobbled up by the wrong entity if the SP gets too low.

Whadya mean 'wrong entity'? They're already on the NASDAQ a wholey pwnd subsiduary of Big Carbon. Market makers run amok time. Rules are for the plebs, not the rule makers.

Reactions: X Fan and Unpilot
The funny thing is the is the type of stock price action I would have expected in Q1/Q2 of 2018 considering how many issues they were having getting Model 3 ramped.

Pretty crazy how the situation is going to be flipped in about 6-8 months. The impact of Giga 3 actually being operational for 2k/week or even 1.5/week is dramatic...from a delivery logistics standpoint, cheaper production/labor, and alleviating some of the battery constraints. Once Giga 3 is at 3k/week, think about how much that's going to ease shipper/delivery logistics for US and Euro.....it's going to change the financials dramatically.