Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like I said, I don't mind some levity, but this is so bad I am thinking of unsubscribing from the Tesla twitter cause the signal to noise ratio is very bad.

Say what you want, but investors and people buying 100K cars often care about the image you put forth as its reflection on the company itself, and this is not great. If you have zero problem with it, that's fine. This is my own opinion but surely not unique to me.

The Telsa twitter should be putting out something useful about the company and its cars and mix in, on occasion, something funny. Not never ending stream of silliness with no useful info in it about their company or cars.

I disagree with this sentiment because I think younger folks (i.e. future customers) may be less attracted to often insincere facades of respectability than they are to unfeigned substance. Furthermore - and I mean no offense to those here with a lot of life experience - I think that people who have grown up with the internet as a central part of their social and informational landscape may have better intuition when it comes to spotting and avoiding unclothed Emperors and rewarding people and institutions that are sincere and substantial.

Tesla's a great example of such sincerity. They're confronting some of the most pressing problems that younger generations will face as they grow up, and they’re doing so with urgency and drive that frequently doesn’t seem consistent with a purely selfish motivation (or at least short-term profits). They're offering tangible, well-engineered solutions while others - be they politicians or companies - maintain a contrived air of dignity while they spew FUD or repeat threadbare promises of imminent and stupendous progress. I often have a pretty dim view of people, especially in large groups, but I think some confidence is warranted that younger folks can figure that out given the chance.

So long as Tesla continues to deliver the goods, people will recognize their sincerity and substance, and they'll excuse - or even reward - a playful attitude on Twitter. Plus, it seems like Tesla's business is moving decidedly away from a reliance on the 100k+ car customer, so if that crowd is just perpetually shot in the butt with itself regardless of age, no matter! Just keep us plebeians entertained :)

EDIT: I see Dan responded much more eloquently above with a similar attitude!

A questioner started a question by stating that since VW is planning to produce 100k per year.... and the presenter started his response by immediately correcting the reporter, that 100k production is further down the line, not for the first year.

Confirmed, danke sehr! 40:00 in the presentation. Jürgen Stackmann* answered [verbatim now] "on a running year we will producing 100'000+ IDs not in the next year 2020" whatever that means. Since he also stated that production was starting this year [ie. 2019], I extrapolated accordingly. But! He! Said! They! Have! Another! EV! Coming! Next! Year!

* Member of the Board of Management of the Volkswagen brand responsible for Sales, Marketing & After Sales

Yes, I really want to know exactly what the current state of publicly proclaimed planning is.

Last edited:
Reactions: wipster
I think the history of Toyota and Honda make a killing in US tells us for most people, TCO sells, low fuel cost and less time car in shop are what really move the needle. but it will take a long time for people to believe a brand truly has lower TCO.

Now Toyota and Honda can charge a premium price and move a lot of cars with their reputation. In reality their cars longevity have been in decline. I had a Toyota minivan whose transmission begin to give up after only 70k miles. I personality know three friends whose Odyssey had transmission problem around the same milage.

So I guess overtime even without FSD, demand for Tesla cars will steadily increase because they are cheaper to run without all the complexity of things to break.

And I think Tesla can accelerates this a little bit by rolling out the semi truck as soon as possible. Large truck fleet owners care less about paint options and panel gaps and more about TCO. With the success of the semi truck, people will realize the longevity of the Tesla battery pack and remove a big part of their worry.

Like I said, I don't mind some levity, but this is so bad I am thinking of unsubscribing from the Tesla twitter cause the signal to noise ratio is very bad.

Say what you want, but investors and people buying 100K cars often care about the image you put forth as its reflection on the company itself, and this is not great. If you have zero problem with it, that's fine. This is my own opinion but surely not unique to me.

The Telsa twitter should be putting out something useful about the company and its cars and mix in, on occasion, something funny. Not never ending stream of silliness with no useful info in it about their company or cars.
I think you can relax a little anr I think with fart sound being one of the featurs this is ok.

And that was most likely not Elon has kind of weird style and most times unpredictable when he is being humorous. This person behind Tesla Twitter handle sounds like the one running Wendys

Reactions: KarenRei
Thanks for the info. Kinda thought it sounded too easy. I’m not up on the differences between the North American and European cars.

Sigh. Back to waiting.

I don't get why they wouldn't bring this to market. I think a lot of owners would by it, no? Would be rather profitable...?

Seriously seems a no-brainer.

You ‘should’ toddle off then to represent your company the way you think it ‘should’ be done.

Most of your posts are good, but ones like this are why Musk fanbois are as insufferable as the shorts some times. He is not beyond reproach and neither is Tesla behavior. I stand by my comment and will continue to post my opinion. If you don't like it you can feel free to ignore me. Got it?

I think you can relax a little anr I think with fart sound being one of the featurs this is ok.

And that was most likely not Elon has kind of weird style and most times unpredictable when he is being humorous. This person behind Tesla Twitter handle sounds like the one running Wendys

yes...for the most part did not mind Musk's humor and it was from him directly, not the company. But when comms come directly from the company its different and has a different standard. Even freshmen biz majors at college understand this distinction.

Consider the scenario where Joe Average has enabled FSD and is dutifully monitoring the car's driving with his hands on the wheel, when the car initiates a maneuver that Joe Average did not expect.
Two things can be happening:
1) The car is making a mistake (e.g. has misidentified the lane markings) and is about to cause an accident.
The action required by Joe Average (potentially in order to save his life), is to take control of the vehicle
- and to do so on basically split-second notice.
I have to wonder what Tesla is doing (and what they can do), in order to reduce the risk that Joe Average gets into an accident due to false negatives and false positives in the above two alternative scenarios.

Great question. I'd just bring up that it seems very likely that when FSD detects an accident about to happen and makes a decision about best course of action, it also uses sensor data to determine if that evasive action is going to cause a worse accident. If it determines a fender bender is about to occur if car does not immediately veer into the adjacent lane, we can expect it first checks if a vehicle in that lane is rapidly closing on the car and will rear end it with high delta V if it selects that course of action. Perhaps weights and probable consequences of the available options are assigned and the option with best chance of non accident outcome is taken.

Reactions: neroden
I believe that a number of TMC members own some of the ARKK ETF. After yesterday’s close Tesla was the #1 holding in ARKK at over 10%. Genetics firm Invitae (NVTA) was #2 at nearly 7%. After the close Invitae reported less than expected revenues; its share price is currently down more than 15%. It’s primarily the reason that ARKK is currently down more than 1%.

CNBC – April 29:

Last edited:
Case in point, I had an opportunity to let four 10 year old girls get in my car just yesterday while I was talking with their parents. In a matter of seconds they were intuitively experimenting with the screen and tapping through all the menus. When I summoned the car while they were in it they were blown away. They get it. They are excited by it. They want one. These kids will soon be future customers. It is the same world wide where Tesla are sold.

Dan

My last reply to the defenders of this new silly Twitter crap coming from the company. I never criticized musk or tesla before this in regards to twitter. And I am not some old fuddy duddy. Its a logical fallacy that because i criticize this then I must be against all that is Telsa and the new world order and want us to go back to the good ole times of Henry Ford Circa 1930.

And WTF does 10 year old girls playing with you car screen have to do with the corporate Twitter account of Tesla? I get that they are (trying) to appeal to the Gen X and Gen Y's etc...although I betchya the largest demographic that own Tesla's are over 40. So what?

You guys are all way too sensitive on this post. like i said, some levity from them here and there OK, but this is not going to make anyone of any age buy a tesla because they are cracking jokes non-stop on tesla twitter account.

Feedback can be instantaneous, training the driver how to be more safe. It's an insurance panacea where The insurance will actually train the driver while they drive.
I really like this post. I think it's the first mention not of people training NN, but the other way around. This makes sense and eventually will happen. Once FSD proves to you it is better than you by jacking up your insurance rates for the wrong moves, you'll have to consider whether you really want to continue driving or relax, don't mess with the steering wheel and save some money.

What I gathered is that the VW brand - hence not including Seat, Skoda, Audi, etc. - is set to build 100'000 IDs in Europe in the first year of production [different from calendar year], and importantly, 1'000'000 EVs globally in 2025. Gives some perspective on the giant numbers being bandied about lately.
Impressive plans, wondering what about the batteries shortage. Will Sumsung provide the 1m batteries, no sweat?

Most embarrassing moment of the VW ID pre-launch launch: at the end, the presenter asks “So, what do you think?” Total silence. After an uncomfortable pause, the presenter says “well, I see you are taking pictures with your phone [so you can’t clap]”. But the car [in disguise still] had been displayed for a few minutes of picture taking before the question was asked.

Bottom line: there’s really nothing there to clap about.

So far, the ID is VW “brandwashing”.
“This is the new VW. 100% green”.

If they were really serious about a company transformation, they’d be shooting for more than 100,000 vehicles in 2021.
Maybe a bit unfair? It took Tesla some time to get to 100k/y production.

Nothing to clap about? If this is not a weirdmobile, I think it's a great achievement. If buyers enjoy it enough to stop considering ICE as an alternative, it's a win for everybody.