Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for the heads up!

I think 30K is for the special first edition model [that includes the HU display? Nifty with the added augmented reality.]

Important to note much further information will be forthcoming only at the Frankfurt show in September [like power & weight].

What I gathered is that the VW brand - hence not including Seat, Skoda, Audi, etc. - is set to build 100'000 IDs in Europe in the first year of production [different from calendar year], and importantly, 1'000'000 EVs globally in 2025. Gives some perspective on the giant numbers being bandied about lately.

A questioner started a question by stating that since VW is planning to produce 100k per year.... and the presenter started his response by immediately correcting the reporter, that 100k production is further down the line, not for the first year.

Its 16 mins for crying out loud.. skip all the blader and FSD posts on this thread and watch the video

Still,

* Ingineerix planning to transplant the model 3 wholesale into a Sprinter van including Autopilot
* Comparision between MCU1/2, HW 1, and 2.x and Model 3. Also discusses the EMMC write issue on MCU1

Last edited:
I do wish them well in the long run. I do think they're completely serious about their plans to electrify in a major way. But this makes it very clear to anyone who wasn't already aware: we're talking the long run, not the near-term. The I.D. line isn't going to be an anything-killer any time soon. ;)

It might become the Volkswagen-Polo killer though, which is, in addition to a few other sedan models a major source of income of the Volkswagen brand.

(But then the Model 3 is a Volkswagen-Polo killer as well.)

And there’s the funny thing. We know all about the march of nines. Regardless of readiness for the cars to ‘go it alone’, a year from now the cars will have an amazing array of party tricks. e.g. 4000 cars driving on and off boats, cars coming off the assembly line and performing their own stage one track test, cars in open spaces doing weaving manoeuvres, etc. Some vids will go viral.

Joe Average (who may not know the diff between mean and median) will be convinced that FSD is imminent. Neroden will be adamant it’s still years away and I imagine he’s right. What I can’t imagine is Joe Average reading or accepting anything written by Neroden.

With respect to the value of FSD and its effect on TSLA, perception is reality.
PARTY TRICKS! Brilliant! That and loading boats all at amazing speeds since they won't make mistakes doing pre-programmed driving among themselves. I'd like to see the competition try to keep up with that impressive display, its viral marketing value appealing to yet more diverse demographics adding more marketing value.

Last edited:
For the first few tweets the new tesla twitter person was funny...but now I find it a little childish and not representative of the type of image they should be putting forth.

I am all for having fun...see my earlier post today. But when i represent my company its all business with a few exceptions where levity is OK. They should be the same. Occasional humor OK...non-stop tweeting about silly stuff not OK.
Yeah!

They should be serious, like The Museum of English Rural Life!:

D4YdpgKW4AA5kUg.jpg

These are the top 5 holdings of Discovery Value Fund" style="margin-bottom: 1em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: "Yahoo Sans", "Helvetica Neue", Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 18px;">These are the top 5 holdings of Discovery Value Fund

1. Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (BABA) - 1,668,929 shares, 34.13% of the total portfolio. Shares added by 0.19%
  2. Facebook Inc (FB) - 1,391,266 shares, 26.00% of the total portfolio. Shares added by 1.79%
  3. Amazon.com Inc (AMZN) - 76,904 shares, 15.35% of the total portfolio. Shares added by 15.22%
  4. Tesla Inc (TSLA) - 293,649 shares, 9.21% of the total portfolio. Shares added by 42.28%
  5. TAL Education Group (TAL) - 2,199,483 shares, 8.90% of the total portfolio. Shares added by 4.40%
Added: Tesla Inc (TSLA)
" style="margin-bottom: 1em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: "Yahoo Sans", "Helvetica Neue", Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 18px;">Added: Tesla Inc (TSLA)

• Informative
Reactions: Thumper
Most embarrassing moment of the VW ID pre-launch launch: at the end, the presenter asks “So, what do you think?” Total silence. After an uncomfortable pause, the presenter says “well, I see you are taking pictures with your phone [so you can’t clap]”. But the car [in disguise still] had been displayed for a few minutes of picture taking before the question was asked.

Bottom line: there’s really nothing there to clap about.

So far, the ID is VW “brandwashing”.
“This is the new VW. 100% green”.

If they were really serious about a company transformation, they’d be shooting for more than 100,000 vehicles in 2021.

For the first few tweets the new tesla twitter person was funny...but now I find it a little childish and not representative of the type of image they should be putting forth.

I am all for having fun...see my earlier post today. But when i represent my company its all business with a few exceptions where levity is OK. They should be the same. Occasional humor OK...non-stop tweeting about silly stuff not OK.

You ‘should’ toddle off then to represent your company the way you think it ‘should’ be done.

Reactions: Dan Detweiler
CNBC narrative shift?
Want to go green and get a Tesla Model 3? Here’s what you need to know first
“Tesla and Musk took any liquidity worries off the table in the near term,” said Dan Ives, managing director at wealth management firm Wedbush, of the company’s latest moves....
That means consumers shouldn’t worry about Tesla’s future in the next three to seven years, and even beyond, he said.
“Our view is, longer term, this is potentially going to be one of the more transformational automobile manufacturers over the next 20 years,” Ives said.
Sam Jaffe, managing director at research firm Cairn ERA, also said he thinks the company is here to stay.
“The brand is established,” Jaffe said. “The company is established.

CCS for model 3 coming
While article references Europe, the North American theater will be getting a CCS adapter soon.
See article for

Tesla launches $190 CCS adapter for new Model S and Model X, offers retrofits for older vehicles

Martian High Command

PS: Text from article.

Update: A Tesla spokesperson told us that they will make sure owners in North America will have access to all “compelling networks”, but they have nothing to announce now.
That adapter is very compact, so I wonder where the active electronics are as the physical layer is GreenPHY for CCS and it's CAN for superchargers... so there needs to be either:

- Something in the adapter to translate CAN to GreenPHY so the car can talk to thecharger to enable it and manage the charge session. This would require a car-side power source present at the charge port that AFAIK didn't previously exist

or

- Make the car multi-protocol, so that it can natively speak both CAN and GreenPHY

Either way, this likely explains the compatibility only with recent cars... new vehicle-side support beyond just a software update is likely necessary.

Yeah!

They should be serious, like The Museum of English Rural Life!:

Like I said, I don't mind some levity, but this is so bad I am thinking of unsubscribing from the Tesla twitter cause the signal to noise ratio is very bad.

Say what you want, but investors and people buying 100K cars often care about the image you put forth as its reflection on the company itself, and this is not great. If you have zero problem with it, that's fine. This is my own opinion but surely not unique to me.

The Telsa twitter should be putting out something useful about the company and its cars and mix in, on occasion, something funny. Not never ending stream of silliness with no useful info in it about their company or cars.

Asked about autonomy features. Response: pessimistic about the rate and degree of advancement of autonomus technology. But says car is "physically equipped for level 3", and will deploy software as they develop it.

Dodged a question about how many orders they expect, beyond that they plan to sell out their initial variants before the Frankfurt show.

58kWh is their "MR" variant; they also plan a SR and LR variant. But given that 77kWh is only 33% bigger than 58kWh (vs. Tesla's LR battery being about 50% bigger than the SR's), the difference won't be as dramatic.

So, they know they need to copy Tesla, but like what happens when you try to copy anyone doing anything; without the basic knowledge you’re second rate at best.

Reactions: wipster
Either way, this likely explains the compatibility only with recent cars... new vehicle-side support beyond just a software update is likely necessary.

Maybe you missed the part that S&X vehicles produced before 5/1/2019 require a 330 Euro retrofit before they can use the adapter. So it seems that the hardware is inside the car and not the adapter.

Most embarrassing moment of the VW ID pre-launch launch: at the end, the presenter asks “So, what do you think?” Total silence. After an uncomfortable pause, the presenter says “well, I see you are taking pictures with your phone [so you can’t clap]”. But the car [in disguise still] had been displayed for a few minutes of picture taking before the question was asked.

If they were really serious about a company transformation, they’d be shooting for more than 100,000 vehicles in 2021.

and lose money on every single one? Not a great business model. Actually cheaper for them to pay Tesla money to cover green car obligations really...although only in short run.

and lose money on every single one? Not a great business model. Actually cheaper for them to pay Tesla money to cover green car obligations really...although only in short run.

Reactions: madodel
Like I said, I don't mind some levity, but this is so bad I am thinking of unsubscribing from the Tesla twitter cause the signal to noise ratio is very bad.

Say what you want, but investors and people buying 100K cars often care about the image you put forth as its reflection on the company itself, and this is not great. If you have zero problem with it, that's fine. This is my own opinion but surely not unique to me.

The Telsa twitter should be putting out something useful about the company and its cars and mix in, on occasion, something funny. Not never ending stream of silliness with no useful info in it about their company or cars.
In other words, just like every other car company, right?
See the problem as I see it is that the status quo can't understand a Tesla way of doing things. They try to compare it to their historic matrix of what a company should look like and sound like. Tesla doesn't fit that mold so you see their complete lack of ability to value the company. What they just can't fathom is the connection with tomorrow's consumers and the impact that is having on the brand. Young forward thinking minds connect with this company and its cars, for all the reasons the "established" business insiders just can't see. Their brashness, their innovation, their disruptive nature, and yes their silliness at times. All of that connects with so many people, and that has an huge impact on their brand recognition and enthusiasm in the market place.
Case in point, I had an opportunity to let four 10 year old girls get in my car just yesterday while I was talking with their parents. In a matter of seconds they were intuitively experimenting with the screen and tapping through all the menus. When I summoned the car while they were in it they were blown away. They get it. They are excited by it. They want one. These kids will soon be future customers. It is the same world wide where Tesla are sold.

Dan