Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, that is realistic, though I certainly hope your timeline is too pessimistic. We can't afford such a slow timeline.
Based on other data, my rule of thumb is a 4X increase in 4 years, not 6. But this is hard to predict.

I believe there is a better than even chance that there will be a hockey stick growth curve to EV sales.

Problem is that even if there is a hockey stick of demand, it boils down to making the cars to meet that demand. This is why basic execution on the supply chain and manufacturing lines is the single most critical thing at Tesla. It doesn't matter if a million people want your car if you can only make 300K.

I will add that there is something to having a little scarcity of products, especially for desirable ones, but I would not rely on that as being a good thing for Tesla long term. Other solutions...even less good ones...may get the sales if Tesla cannot deliver the goods.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
This will be quoted by TSLAQ joyfully.
reminds me, wanted to say hello to richard
ny861sZ.png

The fact is China & US need each other. Trump needs a deal and Xi needs growing economy.

Trump can see what is happening to the markets. He knows he is only tolerable to the people if the economy is growing and the stock market is good. Presidents tend to get re-elected if the economy is good...if its not then people will want change.

My guess is he will concede key points to the Chinese quietly, but publicly proclaim victory about how he drove a great deal for the US.

Ridealong: Porsche's Taycan Turbo Absolutely Redefines Speed and Acceleration

Review of the Taycan for those interested.

I believe that at least the top line version will have better performance than either Model S or 3P (note: performance is more than just acceleration).

You should define performance, then, because "Porsche claims that just more than three seconds elapse from takeoff to 60 mph" - way slower than a S ludicrous.

Also, top speed is 162mph - a hair under the Model S, and tied with M3P.

4) I love the looks of the Mission E, so if they come close?

It won't.

If I remember correctly, Tesla planned for 500k model 3 per year expecting ASP $42k and targeting 25% GM when at full production. It seems to me that even if the plan has to be modified some, it can still be more than ok. Let's say it's 400k at ASP $45k, 20% GM. That seems pretty realistic to me. Does anyone have a huge problem with those numbers? That should allow nearly $1B in gross profit, even with an average cost of about $36k per model 3. I'd be ok with that.
Those numbers seem totally supportable short term. My intermediate-term concern: selling 400k cars will be a lot easier than maintaining them in the field, or supplying spares for the growing fleet. The company has more hills to climb than just efficiently turning out cars in record numbers. At some point, as word gets around that whatever you do don't ding your Tesla because you'll be in service and spares limbo for months, will bite them.
Robin

Tesla never reaches it's targets. Best case will be 80 000 cars, but probably around 70 000.

Maybe one day they will learn to give realistic guidance.

I'm actually guessing 72000 (S+X+3)

Could be right. If they delivered just 63k in Q1, even getting to the guidance lower range of 90k requires almost 50% more QoQ. Nothing tells me they can do that yet unless something dramatically changed since Q1 that we don’t know about. And they’re guiding 360k-400k for full year? That would require average of 99k/quarter at the least moving forward. Not convinced they can get there either yet as well.

Just shows us how far we have to grow. from 2% to 100% exponentially. It will take time, but it is happening. Is this timeframe realistic?.
2013 - 0.5% EV
2019 - 2.0% EV (4X increase over previous six years)
2025 - 8.0% EV (4X increase over previous six years)
2031 - 16.0% EV (4X increase over previous six years)
2037 - 32.0% EV (4X increase over
previous six years)
2043 - 64.0% EV (4X increase over previous six years)
2044 - 100% EV

Did nobody actually notice that the multiplication factor actually changed from 4x to 2x after 2025? If the factor remains 4x for every 6 years we would reach 100% by approx. 2035.

I think it's not realistic to reach 100% by that point due to late adopters & strong opposition from "traditionalists", but anywhere over 85% or even 90% of all new cars, yeah, for sure! At a minimum, no new company car purchase would be allowed to be an ICE, and I believe that's a sizeable chunk of the total demand.

Last edited:
Those numbers seem totally supportable short term. My intermediate-term concern: selling 400k cars will be a lot easier than maintaining them in the field, or supplying spares for the growing fleet. The company has more hills to climb than just efficiently turning out cars in record numbers. At some point, as word gets around that whatever you do don't ding your Tesla because you'll be in service and spares limbo for months, will bite them.
Robin

Yep...this is why they churn through cash...they have to execute on all the following and they all need money:

1) modify existing lines to support new features (new automation, updated cars like S/X refresh, etc)
2) add new lines for new cars
3) increase battery supply by building new gigafactories
4) add more superchargers around the world and upgrade existing ones to SC3
5) add more service centers around the world
6) invest in R&D on cell technology and other hard goods
7) invest in FSD development
8) build out software base including Tesla Network uber-like app.
9) support USB stick music playback :p

So they have lots of ways to burn cash and its a real balancing act on where/when to put money. So yes..some things will suffer for a while as there is no steady state yet for them. They are still innovating fast and introducing new product lines like Semi and Model Y and Truck. It's a very very tough business...especially since you have to built out your infrastructure for fueling and servicing the cars. Other auto makers don't have to worry so much about gas stations, they exist. And they don't worry about service that much, they let dealers take care of it. Tesla has bitten off a huge amount of things to tackle.

Trump can see what is happening to the markets. He knows he is only tolerable to the people if the economy is growing and the stock market is good. Presidents tend to get re-elected if the economy is good...if its not then people will want change.

My guess is he will concede key points to the Chinese quietly, but publicly proclaim victory about how he drove a great deal for the US.

Yea, he likes to pump up his ego by claiming he is the best negotiator and reason for stock market soaring. Regarding this current tariff situation, those two talking points appear to be mutually exclusive.

The fact is China & US need each other. Trump needs a deal and Xi needs growing economy.

This part I used to think so. Xi's only fear is a repeat of tianmen. The recession feel has been going on for at least a year now yet no uprising.

I think the new social credit system, facial recognition ai and god emperor's ascension cemented certain type of stability and fear in the population.

China's resilience is much stronger than we can expect and both usa and china will suffer heavy injuries if Trump judged China to be a pushover and go all in trade war.

On the other hand, capital outflow from China trippled from last quarter and I am happy. A new index should be created to take advantage of this.

Japan, korea, vietnam, taiwan, singapore. Someone make a good acronym out of this please.

Just saw video comments from China lead negotiator Vice Premier He Liu, doesn't seem like China will retaliate immediately with tariff on US cars. If Tesla act quickly, they can probably make enough M3 and ship them to China before tariff, so Q2 delivery # won't be hurt.

Tesla probably only need to ship enough M3 for China Q2 sales. Around June-July, China M3 sales will be very low if any as Chinese people wait for cheaper local made M3 from Shanghai Giga. Likely Telsa would announce prices of China local M3 and taking orders in July.

Basic questions, trying to understand impact from US/China on Tesla.
  1. Was Tesla banking on Mfg Model 3's in China to ship some of them to US and lower overall costs? (If so, the cost forecast may have just risen unless all other countries keep stable trade with China and can meet volume required).
  2. If a Model 3 is made in China and sold in China, are there any import costs - as in sale a from a US company (or is that something that China could retaliate with?)
  3. What is the thing to watch for here? When people say "Automobiles" and "China Trade", how is Tesla different? (other than a US company owning a factory in China, which may set it apart from the rest when it comes to tarrifs... I don't know)

• Helpful
Reactions: VValleyEV