Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hear you. Your response shows why I probably should not have posted my summary, because it only seems to have made matters worse. My biases, my interpretation of the conversation, and my opinions as to what is happening are all that: mine. In a hasty post I bring yet another layer of inaccuracy to the picture.

No way am I putting "all the responsibility on *us* to make this 'right'". Not at all. I put the responsibility on the news organization. It's their story, they reported it, they edited it, including cutting out whatever they cut out, they picked the headline, and they published what they published. They own it. I just don't think solely attacking reporters solves much or moves the ball closer to the goal line. To improve EV coverage I suspect ultimately requires figuring out why the people in editorial/publishing make the decisions they make and then figuring out a way to help them make better decisions about how they cover EVs.

I was with you until the last sentence. At that point you changed the vibe of your post from everybody is responsible for their own part to ‘I’m going to give the benefit of the doubt, be PC, and make nice.’

My thought is that it doesn’t matter why they did what they did. Anyone who would butcher a colleague’s work like that and make that colleague have to face the world with his name on it has no integrity. Thus they can’t be receptive to making better decisions; it’s not in them to act with good character or they’d be doing it already.

Did you ask Mr. Ivan how he felt about his article being butchered like that? Did you ask him how often it happens? If only certain article topics get hacked and others are left whole?

Will you be trying to make contact with the editorial staff that hacked his article to crap?

I want to restate that I very much appreciate you sharing the information you gathered regardless of how it makes me feel. I’ve long since given up expecting the best of people, but it still boils my blood when yet another person/group of people reinforce that I’m right to think that way.

I hear you. Your response shows why I probably should not have posted my summary, because it only seems to have made matters worse. My biases, my interpretation of the conversation, and my opinions as to what is happening are all that: mine. In a hasty post I bring yet another layer of inaccuracy to the picture.

No way am I putting "all the responsibility on *us* to make this 'right'". Not at all. I put the responsibility on the news organization. It's their story, they reported it, they edited it, including cutting out whatever they cut out, they picked the headline, and they published what they published. They own it. I just don't think solely attacking reporters solves much or moves the ball closer to the goal line. To improve EV coverage I suspect ultimately requires figuring out why the people in editorial/publishing make the decisions they make and then figuring out a way to help them make better decisions about how they cover EVs.

i think it was excellent effort to go back and track the writer down and try to get to the bottom of it and explore some common ground. that should not be overlooked, and thank you!
i agree there’s many cases where one single person is not to blame. it’s the system, the organization, the structure of some media outlets, and the business model. so somewhere in the middle is where i sit. i admire a real journalist. i’ll admit i was tricked into believing there was a lot less of those until i read your comments and realized it’s the system they’re stuck in that has become increasingly sucky due to the way power and $ control the organizations. but where is a pissed off, underutilized, talented journalist going to go if stuck in that situation? it’s either provide for yourself or you family until you can find something better with more journalistic freedom, or starve? not much choice there. we don’t all have the luxury of being able to exercise every righteous inclination at will.. i found a lot of good points made from the OP and the responses.

—————-

that said, sentiment in tesla coverage varies by piece topic and organizational intent of providing that content in the first place.

there’s pro-green (mostly pro-tesla) outlets...

these are more than offset by the “generally benevolent” media actors, who couldn’t care less. maybe they’re mentioning tesla to get a quick hit of attention or because a particular story became viral. but it’s not really great or horrible, most non-informative, and clearly they’re just capitalizing on tesla being a hotly debated topic. no value added.

but the last type of tesla’s news actors are more deliberate, premeditated, and harmful.

the smear and the hit pieces to manipulate the outcome of tesla or tsla.

there’s a clear difference. whether it be single person, whole organizations, system failure., whatever you want to point the finger at per piece of content

it’s clear, apparent, and getting stronger at each critical stage of tesla growth. also undeniable.
it may not be the majority of total news coverage but it’s sure the loudest, and that compounds the problem. ignoring it also strengthens its impact.

disagree that

“I probably should not have posted my summary, because it only seems to have made matters worse.”

Moral of the story: This is most likely a regional and not a global issue.

Or it’s an individual issue; depends on the Tesla employee and/or depends on the customer.

Some people just aren’t that good at communicating whether verbally or in written word. Some people are impatient, some lackadaisical, some brusque, some detail oriented, some vague, etc. Sometimes cultural differences cause communication issues, as do prejudices and the like.

I would just say if the approach you’re using isn’t getting desired results then try a different one. And keep trying until you find one that works. After all, it benefits you to get what you want.

Reactions: Congo Line
All this hand wringing about bad press will be just a footnote in a few years.
The cars are fantastic and they can't build them fast enough.

The fools who stand in the way in an attempt to slow this train are getting run over. The NYT and it's ilk...do not have the reach to stop the inevitable.

It is sad they feel the need to sit on toilets with a toothbrush instead of joining the winning team.

It's as obvious as the double chin on Jim Chanos.

There is no doubt in my mind Tesla will prevail due to their superior product and the team's drive to change the world for the better, and the proud cult members' spreading the words.

But there is no doubt in my mind that the main stream media has a significant effect in slowing Tesla down. Their collective act really makes it clear to me that the establishment on the left is whole bunch of liars with no soul. They say they care about climate change yet they are in the pocket of the oil industry.

They pushed me dangerously close to become a Trump voter.

Sad thing is, it is not beyond weird for me to see reactions like this here. And I never said “we should give . . . a break from any sort of pushback . . .” That is an invention on your part as worthy of criticism as any “FUD-filled articles.”

No. It’s the impression your postings give by the words you choose and the sentences you construct. You know this as a writer. You know how to convey your thoughts and feelings in words, or how to be perfectly benign and objective, and everything in between.

The fact that a number of us already are getting the same vibe should indicate to you we aren’t making it up. And while it would be easy to brush it off because we’re a group of Tesla supporters, remember that there has been some pretty harsh words said within this group at times, so we don’t all agree with each other all the time even about Tesla related topics.

I’m pretty sure you’ll be reading the edited version of your book before it goes to print and arguing with your editor over choices they made that you feel changed the context of what you originally wrote.

Gali has a new vlog on GF3/Shanghai: "Made In China Model 3 Coming in ~6 Months" HyperChange TV • 2.9K views • 18:35

"Tesla's Gigafactory 3 in Shanghai continues to make rapid progress. Now the shell is complete, and production/tooling has begun. The facility is on track to produce cars in late 2019, and begin customer deliveries in December of this year. My estimates show China could be a $10B business for Tesla in 2021, if things go well."​

Gets interesting 15 mins in when he talks about CFIUS. Seems China was keen on Maxwell Tech before Tesla. US Govt saw that it was critical for the US to lead in batteries, so they blocked Chinese investment in Maxwell.

Interesting that they have this insight, yet can’t say one good thing about getting off fossils.

Sad thing is, it is not beyond weird for me to see reactions like this here. And I never said “we should give . . . a break from any sort of pushback . . .” That is an invention on your part as worthy of criticism as any “FUD-filled articles.”
Is there someone here besides Bonnie that has positively impacted anyone in the media? Tinm has done a great service and may help create more positive stories down the ride. I’m signing out for a while. Seeing tsla people act like tslaq snowflakes is no fun.

Here it is, the sustainable energy future.
65096594_2139302976366911_5110631475850510336_n.jpg

upload_2019-6-24_19-30-39.png

I am with @tinm on the unpopular idea that editors don't worry about who runs ads in the paper. I honestly don't think the editorial side messes with that — probably a good firewall between it. Furthermore, these are people who have risen to the top of their profession, which values objectivity above practically all else. Yes, corruption can seep in everywhere, but I wouldn't assume it.

I DO, however, assume that they don't understand EVs, don't understand the market, and have illogical personal biases against EVs & Tesla that they can't or won't recognize. How to tackle that is the most important question, imho.

Naive. Follow the money. This is true for literally anything.

To improve EV coverage I suspect ultimately requires figuring out why the people in editorial/publishing make the decisions they make and then figuring out a way to help them make better decisions about how they cover EVs.

Unfortunately scientists and climate activists used this approach for 40 years to try to get people to recognize and respond to the threat of anthropogenic climate change. Their mistake was assuming that the folks on the other side of the table were arguing in good faith. It was an understandable but naïve mistake made by idealists in a fight against Machiavellian opponents, but it cost us valuable time. No reason to make the same mistake again. We don't need to help news organizations do a better job of covering EVs - we need to make them irrelevant if they do a bad job.

Last edited:
Unfortunately scientists and climate activists used this approach for 40 years to try to get people to recognize and respond to the threat of anthropogenic climate change. Their mistake was assuming that the folks on the other side of the table were arguing in good faith. It was an understandable but naïve mistake made by idealists in a fight against Machiavellian opponents. We don't need to help news organizations do a better job of covering EVs - we need to make them irrelevant if they do a bad job.

I think to put it more simply. People assume that the news media is unbiased and is an honorable branch of society. There may be some idealists but they are and always have been profit motivated. I think given the internet and how much self published clickbait exists now the old guard organizations now just publish whatever brings in the most money. When tesla was young is was cool to cover it, and elon was Iron Man. Now its cool to bash it and elon is a wacko. (not my personal opinion, just what seems to have happened in the american psyche)

Also not that anyone here doesn't realize this. But look at this list:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 9.46.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 9.46.34 PM.png
    252 KB · Views: 61
A beef we read fairly often on this thread runs "Tesla comms are terrible. Tesla can't even answer the phone in a timely manner. The other day I was on hold for xx minutes".

Does anyone think that the hold time is long because Tesla are incapable of hiring enough staff to answer phones? I'm fairly sure the hold time is to do with discouraging phone use and encouraging app and email use. They want you to hang up and use the app, send an email, solve it yourself or get the info from the website. Most large organisations do this.

It's far more efficient to deal with client issues once they have the details in writing. It's faster. Allows redirection. Allows prioritisation and sorting issues like with like. Saves data entry. Allows actioners to action items back to back. Basically puts the flow into workflow.

Not saying it's right. Just surprised that people are surprised by the lack of priority given to answering the phone.

That’s fine, but emails seem to be being loaded up on that Falcon Heavy that’s launching tonight, and the live chat they tried to push people to now has wait times of > 1 hour, itself.

All this hand wringing about bad press will be just a footnote in a few years.
The cars are fantastic and they can't build them fast enough.

The fools who stand in the way in an attempt to slow this train are getting run over. The NYT and it's ilk...do not have the reach to stop the inevitable.

It is sad they feel the need to sit on toilets with a toothbrush instead of joining the winning team.

It's as obvious as the double chin on Jim Chanos.
This is backwards. The bad guys are on track to victory. The people and governments of the world are not doing what needs to be done on a timeline necessary to prevent climate catastrophe. EV adoption is slower than it needs to be because of organized opposition, fellow travelers, selfishness, ignorance and apathy. Tesla would have more capital and would be expanding faster if not for the successful opposition.

Tesla has the best EV technology and great products. They need more capital and management bandwidth. Possibly with some luck they will accomplish some financial success as the future looks increasingly dark. Sort of like getting richer as you're losing your eyesight.