Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My good friend who lives back in Cleveland was texting me about maybe buying a Tesla, so of course I spent 45 minutes on the phone persuading him :)

Amusingly he went around Cleveland looking for other electric cars (Leaf, Kona, etc...) with the dealers saying they literally have none, and there's no demand for them in Ohio :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

After I cursed him out for considering other brands that aren't pushing the world to sustainable energy usage, he will now being a Model 3.

And this dude is a frugal MFer.

Hell yeah!

My family is frugal too. My wife still shops at dollar tree even though she makes 400k/year.

We did decide to spend 90k on Tesla solar and a Model 3 with a Model Y being our next car. We are already prepared to lose over 6 figures with TSLA. I will support this company all the way down to zero. The only company that takes my children's future seriously. Even if they go bankrupt but accomplished their mission then so be it.

Interesting article about what people thought about Amazon in the early days. How likely is it that Tesla will follow a similar path?
https://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/heres-what-people-thought-of-amazon-when-it-first-launc-1836008229

FSD is Tesla's "Amazon Web Services". Tesla's auto/energy sales like Amazon's retail side, these low margin products keep their lights on. The real cash cow comes in the form of high margin enterprises. So if you want Tesla to be like Amazon, FSD + robotaxi needs to be a thing. It's the difference between a 120 billion market cap company(assuming Tesla keep releasing great low margin and capex heavy products while taking more and more ICE shares) vs a 1.2 trillion dollar market cap company where Tesla makes money/mile from the network.

Speaking of service... My friend’s two week old M3’s battery failed last Tuesday June 25th. I’m not impressed that it failed, but I’m very impressed that they replaced the battery all ready and it was ready to pick up today. She also got a Dec. 2015 MS 85D loaner, but unfortunately it was locked down in chill mode. Still much better than ice car, of course.

It looks like Elon’s plane is landing in Saratoga WY. Any idea what’s there? Mines?
it's just a tiny town in a part of the state with an airstrip big enough to land his plane and surrounded by beautiful mountain scenery, good elk hunting, good trout fishing, and lots of public lands with hiking unencumbered by crowds. Think Jackson WY but without millionaires or billionaires milling about and a local populace consisting heavily of local rednecks. Hopefully he's just there to hang out with his boys, celebrate the 4th, and get a few days of well earned rest. There'd be about a 100% chance that no one in town would know who he is so he could chill and operate in full on dad mode.

Additional Remarks
- WIND SHEAR OVER HIGHWAY APCH END RWY 23.
- ANTELOPE MAY BE ON RY.​

OT weekend. If one wants western cowboy songs, it's more than worthwhile to enjoy the latest Coen brothers masterpiece, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs | Netflix Official Site
upload_2019-7-3_23-38-14.png

Here's some juicy Anton Wahlman history:

Investors Win Victory Against UBS Warburg in Analyst Research Lawsuit

'The lawsuit alleges, among other matters, that between January 3, 2000 and July 20, 2000, UBS Warburg distributed research reports written by Wahlman that were false and misleading because they maintained a "buy" rating on Interspeed stock while, at the same time, Wahlman was privately sending e-mails to UBS personnel indicating that he believed that Interspeed stock should be shorted. The lawsuit also charges that Wahlman's research reports were false and misleading because Wahlman failed to disclose to the investing public his belief that Interspeed was engaging in "creative accounting."

According to the Complaint, for example, On January 3, 2000, UBS Warburg issued a research report by Wahlman that rated Interspeed a "buy." Just two days later, Wahlman privately e-mailed a member of UBS Warburg's sales force, "(d)on't put people into Interspeed -- very risky." Fifteen minutes later, the recipient of the e-mail responded, asking "so why is (Interspeed) a short?" Wahlman replied, "(j)ust lumpy revenue, some stuffing of channel, creative accounting."

The lawsuit charges that UBS Warburg's and Wahlman's motive for issuing the fraudulent analyst reports was the desire to garner investment banking fees from Interspeed. The Complaint alleges that UBS Warburg earned $700,000 for underwriting Interspeed's 1999 initial public offering.

The lawsuit also charges that if UBS Warburg had published truthful reports by Wahlman, the stock price of Interspeed would have plummeted.

Plaintiffs will now have the opportunity to seek discovery from UBS Warburg, Wahlman and others, and to prepare the case for trial.'

---------------------

UBS and Anton Wahlman ended up settling the class action for $5,000,000.

http://www.whafh.com/modules/case/docs/2972_cid_3_interspeed settlement.PDF
Absolutely love it! Would make a great Seeking Aholes article!

it's just a tiny town in a part of the state with an airstrip big enough to land his plane and surrounded by beautiful mountain scenery, good elk hunting, good trout fishing, and lots of public lands with hiking unencumbered by crowds. Think Jackson WY but without millionaires or billionaires milling about and a local populace consisting heavily of local rednecks. Hopefully he's just there to hang out with his boys, celebrate the 4th, and get a few days of well earned rest. There'd be about a 100% chance that no one in town would know who he is so he could chill and operate in full on dad mode.

Hope he is going elk hunting with Joe Rogan :) .. Relax and smoke some pot, Elon. You deserve some R&R.

I wanted to test whether Seeking Alpha will actually remove one of their many false Tesla articles if I point out the inaccuracies to them, so I picked one and emailed them the following. Let's see if they remove it.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4271538-tesla-may-need-heavy-fleet-sales-meet-q2-guidance

The author states:

"Recently, Business Insider published leaked Tesla's production numbers. Business Insider says that weeks after CEO Elon Musk communicated in his internal email that the Company needs to produce 1,000 Model 3s per day, the Company has reached that milestone only once so far and has been averaging about 700 Model 3 cars per day."

There are two false claims here.

1) Business insider didn't publish the leaked information. They only reported that they saw it.

2) The leaked information didn't give Model 3 production numbers - it only showed the production rate of one part of production - they don't say which, but it may have been battery production for instance. They may have simply had batteries stockpiled and didn't need to make as many during this period. Business Insider explains this themselves, and clearly states that they don't actually know the production rate:

"Daily output rates for one part of the production process do not necessarily correspond with final production numbers on a given day because vehicles must go through other steps that may operate at different speeds."
Here is the article the author refers and links to :

Leaked documents suggest Tesla has not met a Model 3 production goal set by Elon Musk in recent weeks

Update:

After the 'we're looking into it' response, I've heard nothing in over a week. If you want to publish Tesla FUD on Seeking Alpha, you have carte blanche.

Last edited:
It appears Tesla lowered the Model S & X price by $2k. No change on the Model 3 though.

Refresh coming?

Helping to compensate for the $1875 drop in the US federal tax credit on July 1st.

Thanks for the update! I presume this is to compensate the US credit step down and ahead of stage 2 refresh. I haven't kept close track of recent S/X pricing. When was the last price drop and do you know which day this new one took place exactly?

Maybe you guys are all too busy to check it out.
But the price is NOT changed, at all.

Wayback machine link below
Design Your Model S | Tesla

Maybe you guys are all too busy to check it out.
But the price is NOT changed, at all.

Wayback machine link below
Design Your Model S | Tesla

Since I have already opened wayback machine, I had some fun browsing antique teslamotors.com

And guess what I found.
Tesla started delivering Roadster 2 wayback in 2009

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 3.45.59 PM.png

Hummingbird arriving in September. ;)

Well, current MS/X was code-named "Raven" - I wonder if there's any significance to that.

Having recently been watching the X-Men franchise (for the 1st time!!) I wonder if it's a geek reference to the shape-shifting character Mystique (Raven Darkholme) = several changes over time.

Happy 4th July, you yankees - heard that you've got some tanks on parade, getting more like Red Square every day :D