Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nonsense:
You misunderstand: just read the BMW R&D exec's recent comments: they could be flooding the market with EVs but don't, because "customers are not asking for BEVs".

Instead BMW is selling weirdmobiles like the i3, because they fear cannibalization of their cash cow gascar products: the 3-series, the 5-series and 7-series.

If Tesla has to do this "alone" they will: in Shanghai they are on track to build a brand new EV factory from swamp to volume output in about 12 months.

Nor will Tesla do this "alone" in reality: tens of millions of new owners will be helping. :D

I've probably mentioned it before, but my BMW dealer has ONE i3 in the showroom. The car alarm is set to make sure no customer ever touches it twice. They'd rather get a hot poker in the eye then sell EV's. I've seen the same mentality at Cadillac and Chevy. Maybe they'll wake up soon, maybe VW will lock it down, but my recollection of VW services was fix two things, break one. We seldom got out of an oil change without a front light going out, or a fuse. We even had a fire in a Golf many years ago after an oil change. If Tesla makes a profit this quarter and maintains approximately 100,000 sales until Shanghai is online, I think we can finally start breaking out and ending the shorts reign.
Happy 4th of July Americans.

Wow, that is disappointing. Dealership associations apparently don't discriminate by political party when making donations. We have the same issue in New York... Tesla is limited to 5 stores.
How cool would it be if a group of dedicated, retired owners find a well-placed home on a busy road and make and staff a brick and mortar "virtual Tesla non-store" with their Teslas on display in front and manned during optimal travel times just so they could answer questions and show off their cars and give test rides? Just a few old folks who like to shoot the breeze about their Tesla obsession, nothing against any laws ever.

Demand will continue to be front and center. Give it a week or so and we'll get the first comparisons between April and July.

Why wait? The first 2 days of sales figures are in for NO+NL+SP, and it’s never too early for bear trolls to start making ridiculous comparisons.

In the first 2 days of Q3, Model 3 deliveries are down 73% versus Q2 (154–>42). ¡Qué desastre!

Of course, deliveries are up infinitely over the first 2 days of Q1.

Edit: to—>too

My good friend who lives back in Cleveland was texting me about maybe buying a Tesla, so of course I spent 45 minutes on the phone persuading him :)

Amusingly he went around Cleveland looking for other electric cars (Leaf, Kona, etc...) with the dealers saying they literally have none, and there's no demand for them in Ohio :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

After I cursed him out for considering other brands that aren't pushing the world to sustainable energy usage, he will now being a Model 3.

And this dude is a frugal MFer.

Side note, why aren't Hertz and other car rental companies buying every Tesla they can get their hands on. The car rental business in an era of Robo Taxis seems very likely to collapse. Partnering with Tesla by owning lots of their Robo Taxis and taking maintenance/charging infrastructure stations for them so they can collect Robo Taxi cash seems like a no brainer.

I think that the car rental companies are perfectly positioned for the future of cars.
Thin about it. They already have locations for car to be returned to (with drivers or without).
They have staff to inspect, wash and refuel them as well as do light maintenance.

They have parking lots full of cars waiting for people to come rent them. With autonomous driving they could send these car out onto the streets to make some money when rental demand is low and call them back when they need a car to rent.
All they need to do is to write a phone app or team up with Uber/Lyft.
All the things they have and already do are all missing from all the wanna bees in robo taxis. (inspecting, washing, parking, maintenance, etc)

I think that the car rental companies are perfectly positioned for the future of cars.
Thin about it. They already have locations for car to be returned to (with drivers or without).
They have staff to inspect, wash and refuel them as well as do light maintenance.

They have parking lots full of cars waiting for people to come rent them. With autonomous driving they could send these car out onto the streets to make some money when rental demand is low and call them back when they need a car to rent.
All they need to do is to write a phone app or team up with Uber/Lyft.
All the things they have and already do are all missing from all the wanna bees in robo taxis. (inspecting, washing, parking, maintenance, etc)

So they should start buying Model 3s, Model Ss and Model Xs shouldn't they? They have a ton of new inventory that will be totally obsolete in 2-3 years.

Reactions: neroden and madodel
"Elon Musk probably comes closest." That's from Bob Lutz, who worked side by side with Lee Iacocca for almost two decades when asked what auto executive reminds him the most of Iacocca.
@lebeaucarnews

Becoming more clear that whoever pays Lutz’s wages has changed sides, else he’s started lobbying for someone new.

When people have health complications, or simply get too old to enjoy the trappings of wealth, money ceases to be important. Suddenly it’s more important to have respect and to be on the right side of history.

I’ve been waiting for Rupert Murdoch’s big switch. Alas he appears immune.

It's crazy that even with a tax credit of $7500 compared to what is now $1875 that the "tesla killers" still can't make a dent. That's with all the money in the world, dealerships, and better access to markets.

Profit mostly. Still seeing some claim that the demand cliff is next quarter because of the additional decrease in the EV credit.
Six months until THAT argument is gone, thank God. To paraphrase Elrond of Rivendell, “Our list of taking points grows thin”.

So @Fact Checking called...

It will take time for Tesla to penetrate into Japanese market. Hope we can change; but market is very different from other countries. However as iPhone penetration was successful and now in Tokyo over 80% of people are using iPhones and Japan became number 1 country in terms of Apple revenue.
Here, some facts to consider:
- Japanese car market is relatively small. In Tokyo employees are NOT allowed to commute by car, and many young people don't have driver license. It's simply not important in our life.
- 50% of Japanese car market is for Kei cars; very small but cheap, big inside.
Honda N-BOX 公式情報ページ
This is the TOP seller in Japanese market. See how four adults can sit, and even accepts car seats. In some narrow roads only these sized cars can go through.
- Apartment is 50% overall Japan so these people have issues with charging. Also in Tokyo I guess more than 90% in apartments. No charging laws.
- Mechanical parking. Old buildings only allow <1750mm cars. Model 3 won't fit. It will fit the biggest, widest type of mechanical parking but they are probably like <20%. Also some mechanical parkings are like robots, so can't have charging.
mechanical - 機械式駐車場 - Google Search
Complex robot parking -

Recently one of the city mayors (482k population) leased one Model X and one Model S, and virtually all TV news covered that negatively, that they should buy domestic cars, too expensive, etc. So yes there will be some nationalism too, but as we've seen Rolexes, iPhones, Microsoft Office, Amazon, Facebook and Twitter, it is relatively smaller issue here I guess.

Thank you very much for this detailed response.

When people have health complications, or simply get too old to enjoy the trappings of wealth, money ceases to be important. Suddenly it’s more important to have respect and to be on the right side of history.

I’ve been waiting for Rupert Murdoch’s big switch. Alas he appears immune.

You have to have a soul before you can have a conscience.

This bloomberg piece by Dana Hull has been posted a couple of times already, but I think its actually worth reading if you haven’t already since the mostly fair tone of the reporting is quite the change for Dana. If coverage is going to be like this going forward from Bloomberg, we might be turning a corner given the importance of bloomberg reporting within the financial industry.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?