Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stock price is: $252.59 USD on Jul 18 at 10:26 EDT. NB: it might change right after my post is published, but we can discuss the changes if you want to.
You disrepect all members of this forum when you seek to trivialize the effect of off-topic posts on readership. Many long-time members and uncounted potential contributors are put off by the daily barrage of off-topic posts here.

We miss THOSE contributions, and are likely the poorer for it. Unlike the guy who claims to have 'figured it all out', but won't post it here because WTF?

Here's an idea: if you don't have relevant analysis about issues affecting the SP, refrain from posting here. If you DO have something important to say but its off topic, post it in the appropriate thread. For eg, here's a thread with almost 2,000 posts this year:

Elon: "Feature complete for full self driving this year"

Comment for today: 'when FSD might contribute to SP?' is on-topic; 'what is FSD?' is not.

Regards,
Lodger

I used to be able to go to the Best Posts section of the forum and sort posts by Most interesting, Most helpful, etc. over the past 24h or past one week, etc. That used to help me quickly find news or relevant posts whenever I didn’t have time to “manually” go through the 20-odd daily pages of posts. For the past several months posts from this thread no longer appear there, and I always wondered why.

I think a solution could be a thread for breaking Tesla relevant headlines sticking to the facts with very limited discussion and no replies (aside from explanations to counter FUD) - any discussion of the news can remain in this thread instead (people can post the news to both threads but keep the discussion to this one). This breaking news thread might sometimes only have one post per day or even less, and should have very strict moderation and post deletion if people start to drift (hopefully people will behave and this won't be much work).

agree(d)

how about a Headlines Only thread for 2016?

That is why actual robotaxi or hands free FSD will take time. Its not (just) about regulators, manufacturers need to be able to quantify the risk involved. Good that Tesla is getting into insurance business now.

Tesla has never stated that it will accept liability. On the contrary, it has already explicitly stated that it will not accept liability for enhanced summon (Elon Must tweet : Yes, but owner will have to accept tiny risk of damage. Those are very hard even for careful human drivers.) So the question is more : what is the liability/risk balance for individual users. For example, me personally, I would never use Enhanced Summon without clear line of sight on the car. Tiny risk for damage, ok smaller liability. But a tiny risk to hit and kill a toddler standing near the car is not something I can take on. It would have to be astronomically small for me to accept that, not just tiny.

I think a solution could be a thread for breaking Tesla relevant headlines sticking to the facts with very limited discussion and no replies (aside from explanations to counter FUD) - any discussion of the news can remain in this thread instead (people can post the news to both threads but keep the discussion to this one). This breaking news thread might sometimes only have one post per day or even less, and should have very strict moderation and post deletion if people start to drift (hopefully people will behave and this won't be much work).

The solution is to use forum software as it is intended to be used. A thread is a conversation topic. Forums work best when people write posts regarding a topic in the thread that is for that topic, not make one thread a chat room.

I actually saw a post that was on-topic about the stock price movement get moderated and warned about a week ago.

As for robotaxis / self-driving, I think posts written from someone with hands-on neural net development experience would have value. Otherwise, not so much.

Would love to see this thread back to like it was when I joined in early 2016, but I think most of the valuable posters have given up on this thread and gone elsewhere. People with full time jobs and other commitments don't have the time to spend sifting through this chat room looking for valuable posts. Those that continue to post off topic have done a dis-service to the value of this thread and its value to investors.

Same with the, "it's after hours / weekend, so it's ok to post off topic". Not everyone is reading this thread in real-time. Those that check it every few days then have to sift through tens of pages of off-topic conversations and hope not to miss something valuable.

Want a better thread? Stop looking for the mods to solve it. Take some personal responsibility, learn how forum software works, and use the software correctly. It's ok to read and post in more than one thread / forum here.

This is too much work for moderators. Plus on-topic / off-topic is often subjective and an aggressive post cull is going to leave people unhappy on both sides.
More work, initially, yes. Isn't this what moderators are for?

Many long-time members and uncounted potential contributors are put off by the daily barrage of off-topic posts here.

We miss THOSE contributions, and are likely
the poorer for it.
THIS! Why am I not getting many thumbs up from institutional investors and other professionals who need to learn and get on with their day?

Reactions: Artful Dodger
I personally have no problem skipping over off-topic posts if they don't interest me.

Problem is that you at least need to begin reading them to see if they are off topic. And the sheer volume in this thread (rather than having a General Discussion AND a Market Action) makes doing so double the time suck. I realize the old way of doing things wasn't perfect either.

I often enjoy the speculative discussions but sometimes want to check in here for five minutes and see what seems to be moving TSLA. That used to be somewhat easier.

Tesla has never stated that it will accept liability. On the contrary, it has already explicitly stated that it will not accept liability for enhanced summon (Elon Must tweet : Yes, but owner will have to accept tiny risk of damage. Those are very hard even for careful human drivers.) So the question is more : what is the liability/risk balance for individual users. For example, me personally, I would never use Enhanced Summon without clear line of sight on the car. Tiny risk for damage, ok smaller liability. But a tiny risk to hit and kill a toddler standing near the car is not something I can take on. It would have to be astronomically small for me to accept that, not just tiny.
There was a specific question on this on autonomy day (?) "who is responsible for accidents" and he said "I guess Tesla".

Tesla might do that as part of insurance i.e. if you buy insurance from them, they take responsibility. Other insurance companies might also insure the robotaxis - once proven good.

There was a specific question on this on autonomy day (?) "who is responsible for accidents" and he said "I guess Tesla".

Interesting! I missed that. Weird that Enhanced Summon is excluded. Was his quote just for driving with someone behind the wheel?

Tesla might do that as part of insurance i.e. if you buy insurance from them, they take responsibility. Other insurance companies might also insure the robotaxis - once proven good.

Tesla insurance is very limited in scope compared to Tesla's worldwide operations and it does not yet seem up and running? Hard to see that as a comprehensive solution.

Reactions: neroden
Interesting! I missed that. Weird that Enhanced Summon is excluded. Was his quote just for driving with someone behind the wheel?
This was for robotaxi.

Tesla insurance is very limited in scope compared to Tesla's worldwide operations and it does not yet seem up and running? Hard to see that as a comprehensive solution.
Tesla is going to develop inhouse expertise on risk, have actuaries as staff. That will help.

What if it hit the toddler in order to block a trolley from careening into a whole group of of toddlers? ;)

You make it sound as if that’s a done deal.

It’s still unknown whether Tesla does even offer an insurance product. EM mentioned it, but it’s been quiet since. Not saying it won’t happen, but also nothing to show how or when/if it will happen.

Not "quiet". He said they had to finish an acquisition.

You make it sound as if that’s a done deal.

It’s still unknown whether Tesla does even offer an insurance product. EM mentioned it, but it’s been quiet since. Not saying it won’t happen, but also nothing to show how or when/if it will happen.
True - but in the context higher chances of getting into insurance than have robotaxis ;)

BTW, the SP is doing well bouncing off of 252. Even when NASDAQ went down.

I've been a lurker here since 2013. I realize Market Action regularly got off-topic. Still, the number of posts one had to sift through in order to find market-moving news and current developments was way lower (orders of magnitude lol). The General Discussion forum absorbed a big chunk of the more speculative discussion. It wasn't perfect, but it was better than this.
I remember it differently. Two threads to keep up with, topics often overlapped, until the General thread basically died out from lack of use and everything ended up in the Market thread.