Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very true but even that is changing. Look at the Anker brand as an example that is carving out its own identity. There are others, too.
But large brands trying to expand to US are not allowed - like Huawei. Always "national security" is cited as the reason.

Blame globalization. As much as Sanders and Trump (and Perot before that) complain about US jobs being lost, the rest of world has been brought out of poverty by the billions because of it. Call it the great rebalancing. The only question is how much governments do to encourage or discourage it.
I submit that most of the profit is still made by Wall St/executives of the company. So, while there are definitely communities/people who have benefitted from globalization (like my city) there are communities that have lost out. At the heart of Trump/Brexit backlash is this unequal effect of globalization on various communities. If we don't solve this issue - expect more anti-immigration sentiment, xenophobia and generally a bigger threat to liberal democracies worldwide.

Ofcourse there is a larger debate about all this - esp around making labor and environment standards as a prerequisite for free trade.

Can't wait for the weekend to end so we can kinda sorta get back on topic...
Yeah the conversation has deteriorated to say the least. Imagine seriously stating that Amazon sells Chinese brands under their own (Amazon's) name and disguises the true producer. This has gotten very ignorant and histrionic.

In 1 short week we will be able to say:

"Next month is the pickup truck unveil". Christmas will truly have come early.
I was just talking to someone. He'd gotten a test drive from another M3 owner and was completely sold -- except for no interest in having a car, only a truck. Was very impressed by the power of an EV. So I made sure that he knew the pickup reveal was coming soon:D

Very true but even that is changing. Look at the Anker brand as an example that is carving out its own identity. There are others, too.

Blame globalization. As much as Sanders and Trump (and Perot before that) complain about US jobs being lost, the rest of world has been brought out of poverty by the billions because of it. Call it the great rebalancing. The only question is how much governments do to encourage or discourage it.

Let’s bring it full circle. As they come out of poverty, they aspire to have what we have; a house, a car, a refrigerator. If they do this before technology renders fossil fuels obsolete, emissions will climb rapidly.

Which is why any govt promoting globalisation, but not cleantech, is a total head scratcher. A rational person would see the need to exit fossils out of pure self interest.

But large brands trying to expand to US are not allowed - like Huawei. Always "national security" is cited as the reason.

I see plenty of Haier, Kelon, Midea *sugar* all over. Same story with furniture. People just aren't familiar with the branch, and probably don't care about furniture brands much.

I'll admit Huawei, and more silently Xiaomi, seem to be blocked in the US but that is a very new thing. I can assure you many other companies in don't have any issue sending things here.

Nobody seems to care that Lenovo sell stuff stateside either. So it's not even industry specific. Just Huawei.

Xiaomi has stores in many countries and makes no effort to hide the fact they are blatently ripping off apple.

upload_2019-8-25_19-44-31.png

https://www.amazon.com/Xiaomi-Displ...t=&hvlocphy=9021760&hvtargid=pla-737754764850

https://www.amazon.com/Huawei-MateB...iaomi+laptop&qid=1566780562&s=wireless&sr=1-3

Microsoft stole the MacOS from Apple and Google/Samsung stole iOS. Apple sued on both occasions, but I don't think much came of it.
Are you referring to Windows 1.0 where Microsoft licensed elements from Apple?
Top 5 Myths About Bill Gates
Microsoft kept using the base UI, Apple sued and lost.

Both of them were based on Xerox Parc's GUI.
Bill Gates says Microsoft didn't copy Steve Jobs and Apple
https://www.cultofmac.com/469779/bill-gates-says-didnt-copy-steve-jobs-reddit-ama/
Well, Steve [Jobs]… I think it’s more like we both had this rich neighbour named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it.
-Bill Gates

Microsoft later threw Apple a bone by supporting/ developing Office on Macs.

I see plenty of Haier, Kelon, Midea *sugar* all over. Same story with furniture. People just aren't familiar with the branch, and probably don't care about furniture brands much.
That's the point - people don't care. When they do care about brands, they don't buy Chinese i.e. direct Chinese brands, even though they buy American branded stuff made in China all the time.

I'll admit Huawei, and more silently Xiaomi, seem to be blocked in the US but that is a very new thing. I can assure you many other companies in don't have any issue sending things here.
When Chinese brands can seriously compete - expect all kinds of hurdles thrown at them. Japanese and later Korean brands had to face similar issues earlier.

Musk just retweeted from Tesla:

“Last month we had over 2 million Supercharger sessions, totalling 72 GWh of energy. That could power: - Hawaii for three days - the Republic of Ireland for a day - playing 'You're Beautiful' on repeat from every device in your house because Karen just left you”

Terrible PR. It needs to contain an assessment of how many litres (gallons) of fuel were left in the ground, and how many km (miles) of travel were enabled.

Google/Samsung stole iOS
Are you talking about Samsung using icons similar to iPhone - and the jury actually thought Samsung had to pay billions for that ?

Some of those software patents are BS. Actual theft of code is entirely different.

ps : Atleast a while back - all hardware companies (including HP, Dell) were selling "Linux" laptops in India. The retailers would offer to install a hacked version of Windows instead. HP/Dell were well aware of this arrangement. When I bought a laptop for my in-laws and asked for a proper copy of Windows, the dealer was shocked. He didn't even have a copy - had to send a guy over to fetch it from the wholesaler.

@capster
“One nuance you neglected to mention is that Krugman is solidly on the left, progressive even. “

The post I was replying to was in this thread.
The above was the salient portion
You’re welcome
However the flame war is over
‘Twas moved: Paul Krugman (out of main)

You missed the point of the salient portion. I was trying to point out what should have been made clear in the original post, twere it a fair post. Not really making a point about Krugman.

It’s like calling out whether a journalist has shares or is shorting. Disclosure helps us understand what we are reading. Failure to disclose also has a bearing.

Reread the post to which I was replying if you didn’t follow.

No problem. ;)

But yes, enough.

Last edited:
It's a lightly traded market, so it depends on individual sellers. I've seen days where there is only 1 bond available ($1000) and other days there are more than 1000 ($1M+). The minimum is as low as 1 ($1000) but it depends on the seller. If what you want isn't available one day, there's a good chance for it if you check in each day.

Might be easier to call the fixed income desk rather than doing it online. I haven't had to do that, but I'm a bit lazy.

If you trade online, be sure to check the order status because half the time the sellers reject offers. I think they sit on the offer to see if they can get a better deal before accepting.
That's interesting. My understanding was that if you call the fixed income desk, they'll laugh at you if your order is less than $100,000. But if you can buy/trade it online for $1000 lots, that's great. I may look into it. What's the commission? Different than stocks? Thanks!

Edit: Can you also give me the ticker/symbol? Thanks.

Let’s bring it full circle. As they come out of poverty, they aspire to have what we have; a house, a car, a refrigerator. If they do this before technology renders fossil fuels obsolete, emissions will climb rapidly.

Which is why any govt promoting globalisation, but not cleantech, is a total head scratcher. A rational person would see the need to exit fossils out of pure self interest.
Not a head scratcher at all. It is all about the money. Amazing how little it takes to bribe a Congressperson to ignore impending doom if the fix involves fossil fuels losing profit.

This is as believable as the propaganda that Iraq war was about spreading democracy.

US IP laws are purely about protecting economic interests. That is the reason for extending Mickey Mouse patents - not because they thought Walt Disney will come back and invent more mice. All the lobbying by Disney that went into the law is well documented. It is no different than most of the other laws that get written with the help of lobby money and the dependence of lawmakers on companies for donations.

Mickey Mouse is not patented. Patents are only good for 20 years. Mickey Mouse is trademarked. Big difference.

The Irag war was about destabilizing a country led by a man who was becoming too powerful for the likes of American oilmen. That has nothing to do with the fact that the US was instrumental in developing intellectual property protections to reward innovators and prevent the commercialization of their ideas by people who had not spent the time and effort to innovate.

Just as Tesla has a bunch of bad actors surrounding it, spreading FUD and misrepresenting the facts to try to slow Tesla down, IPR protections have been misrepresented and given a bad name by people who were not innovators but wanted to use others inventions for free. Because it can be very profitable. You have been listening to people who want to justify their intellectual property theft by claiming it's outrageous that someone should be able to own their own invention (even if it is for only 20 years).

Are you referring to Windows 1.0 where Microsoft licensed elements from Apple?
Top 5 Myths About Bill Gates
Microsoft kept using the base UI, Apple sued and lost.

Both of them were based on Xerox Parc's GUI.
Bill Gates says Microsoft didn't copy Steve Jobs and Apple

-Bill Gates

Microsoft later threw Apple a bone by supporting/ developing Office on Macs.
This is total BS. I don't buy this line of thinking. Bill Gates is/was slimy as Zuckerberg. But I'll leave it there, lest we have another long, protracted OT discussion.

The thought that tariffs are the answer is ridiculous to anyone who actually understands international trade.
Of course. But tariffs are the perfect answer for a criminal who wants a knob to twiddle that requires nobody else's approval, one that can be arbitrarily adjusted on an individual basis after the appropriate bribes are paid, and one that causes political turmoil and moves markets abruptly. What's not to like?

It's silly to discuss negotiation and policy when what you are watching are crimes in progress.

Even if the Chinese were beyond reproach,
We don’t have access to their markets.
They have had access to our markets.

Google, Facebook, amazon, visa, Netflix, etc..
Are our comparative advantage and they are blocked
In China.

They have much lower labor rates and access to our markets,
We can’t match their labor rates, but where we can compete,
We are blocked for security reasons.

A few more beans or lack of beans will not balance
The situation. Postponing bean purchases to hurt
Trumps voters and magnify the pressure against
Trump and his re-election is negotiating in bad faith.
Is this is a poem or an argument or both? I'm confused. o_O