Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Might be nothing more spectacular than a drainage channel for all the surface/rain water collecting on the site and the building at the end of the site might be a pumping station to pump the water out into any public drainage System they have. Might make sense to run such a collector for the length of the site.

With deep foundations that required piledrivers, which are usually only required for heavy, multi-story buildings or for industrial buildings that host heavy machinery?

With deep foundations that required piledrivers, which are usually only required for heavy, multi-story buildings or for industrial buildings that host heavy machinery?

I am referring to the "linear structure". The field between the current factory and the "pumping station" with the Ground Treatment / pile driving clearly is for a structure similar to the almost finished factory.

Reactions: Fact Checking
Couple of things to note.
- Even though Sunlight spent 3.5 days in SFO and Cosmos spent 2.5 days - they were at the dock for the same 3 working days ! Sunlight docked in the evening and left early morning. So, only 3 days in between were the loading days. Cosmos was efficient, docking early in the morning and leaving at night, after 3 loading days.
- Oslo loaded for one working day - but we have no idea how many. At SFO they load about 1k to 1.5k cars per day. How many do they normally load at Philly ? Could be as low as 1k or as high as 3k.

U.S. container ports are normally loading at night as well, because an idle ship is much more expensive than the labor to fill it - do we know it for a fact that the drivers at Tesla's dock are not working in three shifts?

I am referring to the "linear structure". The field between the current factory and the "pumping station" with the Ground Treatment / pile driving clearly is for a structure similar to the almost finished factory.

I see, I didn't fully read @Artful Dodger's reply.

Drainage channels are a possibility, but that would normally be circular and also deeper, and a denser mesh of small diameter pipes, not a single large diameter channel, right?

My impression on flood defenses was that they built the whole factory higher and might plan on sealing it, instead of pumping the water out - which looks problematic anyway as ground water must be just below the surface already. They'd be pumping half of Shanghai's ground water. :)

Instead, the rectangular linear tunnel might be the conveyor belt @Artful Dodger speculated about: just deep enough to allow surface traffic. Elon mentioned it before that they'd love to have tunnels at Fremont to simplify and automate their workflows.

Or the utility tunnel @mongo mentioned.

The Audi e-Tron is selling quite well in Norway even if US sales are declining. This is good since we need more EVs on the road.

IMHO the main advantage of the e-Tron vs the TMX is the noise insulation - and the main disadvantage is the lacklustre charging network available for the thirsty SUV.

9c9me61fmkm31.jpg

Source: It is been almost 6 months since the e-tron has been on sale in Norway, and it has done surprisingly well as a premium SUV BEV : teslamotors

and this again from Registreringsstatistikken – Opplysningsrådet for veitrafikken

I see, I didn't fully read @Artful Dodger's reply.

Drainage channels are a possibility, but that would normally be circular and also deeper, and a denser mesh of small diameter pipes, not a single large diameter channel, right?

My impression on flood defenses was that they built the whole factory higher and might plan on sealing it, instead of pumping the water out - which looks problematic anyway as ground water must be just below the surface already. They'd be pumping half of Shanghai's ground water. :)

Instead, the rectangular linear tunnel might be the conveyor belt @Artful Dodger speculated about: just deep enough to allow surface traffic. Elon mentioned it before that they'd love to have tunnels at Fremont to simplify and automate their workflows.

Or the utility tunnel @mongo mentioned.

Yeah, sealed concrete precast culvets (round, oval, or square) for positive pressure pumping option would be more expected for drainage. Slope also does not look right.

It looks like the new building pad feeds directly into the main structure:
SmartSelect_20190915-124331_Firefox.jpg AGCs could haul packs back and forth.

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
The Audi e-Tron is selling quite well in Norway even if US sales are declining. This is good since we need more EVs on the road.

IMHO the main advantage of the e-Tron vs the TMX is the noise insulation - and the main disadvantage is the lacklustre charging network available for the thirsty SUV.

9c9me61fmkm31.jpg

Source: It is been almost 6 months since the e-tron has been on sale in Norway, and it has done surprisingly well as a premium SUV BEV : teslamotors

and this again from Registreringsstatistikken – Opplysningsrådet for veitrafikken

That doesn't look like a good sales trend; looks downhill to me. It's been downhill in the US, too. Also, why is that graph only one country, and only compared to the (much larger) Model X?

Well, at least it's not as bad as I-Pace. They've now dropped below 1000 per month globally, and below 200 per month in the US.

The UAW has agreed to temporary extensions of the old contracts with Ford and Fiat-Chrysler until its dispute with GM is settled. Then there could be more or the same contentiousness between the union and the other two.

Of course Tesla workers are not in a union, thus Tesla is not burdened in the manner of legacy automakers.
Where is the CNBC Breaking News article with GM and auto workers -- where is LORA and DANA reporting with breaking news.. SMH..

That doesn't look like a good sales trend; looks downhill to me. It's been downhill in the US, too. Also, why is that graph only one market, and only compared to the (much larger) Model X?

Well, at least it's not as bad as I-Pace. They've now dropped below 1000 per month, and below 200 per month in the US.

I was just about to comment on that. Take out the comparisons to the X. That sales trend for a brand new car releasd in its first 6 months is pretty terrible. Especially considering there's supply out there that they're having to discount in other areas.

If I am looking at the correct thing, it appears to be on the wrong side of the loading docks to deliver anything.
My guess is a utility tunnel for power from the substation to the heating/ cooling plant. The 220kV is reportedly run, but the connection to the factory will not be completed till later this month.

Yes, you're almost certainly right. As you can see in the cropped image below (from the video at 6m06s), the linear concrete structure runs directly from the Electrical Substation (top-right) past the service road along the long side of the Phase 1 building (bottom-center).

Look for the RED line I've added to this image to highlight the structure: (click the thumbnail to see the full-size image)

snapshot.9-12.06-06.2160p.utilities-cropped.png

Cheers!

Last edited:
using the the thrusters for vertical force only makes sense if your coefficient of friction is > 1. Otherwise, you are better off using the force directly. It will plant the car, which is good esp over a dip, but if you want cornering assurance, nothing beats guaranteed force vectors 90 degrees to your direction of travel.

Regarding powerbands: the S/X D versions put the efficency sweet spot of the front motor at highway cruise speed for range. The a plaid version can de-optomize that to flatten and/ or extend the total power band instead. Peak power only matters if you spend your time at that speed. Totally performance depends on overall speed and power profile.

SR also have a flatter powerband that can increase at high RPM. Not sure how the PM side interacts with that.

Dual rear motors: Along with torque vectoring, dual rear PMSR mean that they don't need to use the brakes at all for traction control or ABS up to the regen power limit. More efficiency and controlability gains.

I think FC may hald meant 65 MPH (criuse 100kph?) vs 200 MPH, unless they have a good Wh/mile number for 100MPH.

31.3 kW at 65 mph would be 482 Wh/mile, which is way too high (unless you’ve got AC on full blast, 6 passengers all charging their phones,all seat heat on, and radio at 11) I think his figures are for 100mph, but conservative. Using standard atmosphere, and drag coefficient of .24 I get these numbers for a Model S P100D aero drag & rolling resistance:
At 60 mph (97km/h): 13.2 kW (221Wh/mi)
At 100 mph (161km/h): 47 kW (470 Wh/mi)
At 150 mph (251km/h): 143 kW (955 Wh/mi)
At 200 mph (322 km/h): 327 kW (1.6 kWh/mi)

I now suspect this concrete structure may in fact house a conveyor system to transport product from the new building into Phase 1.

Other ideas?

Maxwell’s UltraCapillary confirmed??

If I am looking at the correct thing, it appears to be on the wrong side of the loading docks to deliver anything.

Yep, deliveries go to Sawtooth Alley via semis, on the other side of phase one.

This long shallow-buried linear thingy continues to the left, grazing the solar-canopied Charger Plaza(?) that has been erected opposite the “straight, comb-toothed driveways” and garage doors. Those driveways have their own grate-topped drainage channel running closer to the doors, parallel to The Linearity.

My guess is a utility tunnel for power from the substation to the heating/ cooling plant. The 220kV is reportedly run, but the connection to the factory will not be completed till later this month.

I’m on Team Conduit too. I expect it to connect electric loads (the factory structures, lodging) with electric supply (solar arrays) and with zones that are both (solar-roofed supercharger if that’s what that canopied plaza is).

That’s more where I’d expect Battery Park, a hefty slab for a megapack installation. Adjacent to the conduit and between the initial Factory Phases.

piledrivers
Not-A-Cranes

Last edited:
Where is the CNBC Breaking News article with GM and auto workers -- where is LORA and DANA reporting with breaking news.. SMH..
I wanna know where the CNBC coverage, or God forbid sec investigation, is at for this Lumber Liquidators trainwreck.

CEO buys up tons of stock at $7.88 a share, then sold 1.25 million shares last week at an average of $11.68 on the basis of a truly fake take-private scam.

Tesla has a huge incentive to deploy self-driving tech. But is the world ready?

Russ Mitchell has outdone himself on this Tesla hit piece. He creatively misleads the reader to assume that Elon Musk needs the profit recognition badly from FSD and so he's rushing the technology to market rather than the safe and sane approach that everyone else is taking. Readers come away with the opinion that at any time, Musk might "flip the switch" and we have self-driving cars running everywhere, potentially running over children and causing mayhem. There's no mention of an approximately year-long process of sorting out the corner cases and until then drivers have to do what they're doing right now: keep their hands on wheel and stay engaged.

Some of the TSLAQ crowd really believe this garbage and others understand Tesla has the FSD cash regardless of whether they have recognized the revenue. It will increase sales of cars and FSD take rate, as well as recognition of revenue. One thing they are somewhat right about is the urgency to get there first. Urgency is different then desperation, sometimes more in the connotation then the affect, but urgency implies management and control, while desperation implies panic and disorganization. I'm still confident that Tesla is out in front, hard to say how far, but sounds like V10 is the real deal. There will be some good video and more staged BS soon.

Any consensus on V10 passing level 3 autonomy? If it is really using the NN tech, seems like this should be the next big milestone.

I believe that is an engineering tunnel from the electrical station being completed. Building that as a tunnel will allow access, rather than building a simple wiring tunnel. This will allow updates to the power supply and ease of access to run new lines to additional structures.

Chicago has a system of tunnels under the city that are used for communications and power. This would be a great market for the Boring company in New York and big older cities. 7 foot tunnels under streets to connect building and avoid digging up roads to drop new comms and power.