Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wright’s Law/Learning Curves/Experience Curves are extremely important to understand when considering technological progress and are particularly key to what Elon’s companies are trying to achieve. Wright's Law is often misunderstood however so I think it’s worth explaining some of my thoughts about it.

We have found pretty consistently over the past 100 years that as the cumulative historic production of a product doubles, the production cost reduces by a roughly fixed percentage. This is Wright’s Law and it is a rule of thumb which works over long time periods over multiple product and factory generations, but is not likely to be very accurate when making short term predictions.

Wright’s Law works because of three different underlying mechanisms:
1) R&D spend roughly scales with an industry’s revenue, so cumulative R&D spend scales with cumulative production. If you have a larger industry, more resources are spent on technological progress and these breakthroughs drive down the cost. R&D appears to be the largest driver of experience curves but it doesn’t work on short time periods because it could be several years before new R&D is put into production. It can also be quite lumpy with cost breakthroughs coming in fits and starts when a new generation of technology is introduced.
2) For every product you produce the staff and company “learn” how to do their task better. This is a combination of more productive staff and better production methods introduced after fixing the bottlenecks and problems previously experienced. In other words, to some extent all Cost of Goods Sold of a product can double up as R&D. Possibly the key driver of success in Elon’s companies is his push to maximize the R&D value of all expenditure – whether that is a COGs cost, capex cost or R&D cost. For example much of SpaceX’s R&D was done via COGs as it tested new hardware on customer missions. Similarly, Tesla’s factory is set up to rapidly upgrade car designs once lessons are learnt from the production staff and the fleet (which are both expensed as COGs). He also experiments with multiple new production techniques when investing in capex for a new factory – if this works he will use it again, if it doesn’t work he can always return to traditional process for the next factory – either way he has learnt something valuable and capex has worked as R&D.
3) Increased economies of scale. These are actually a function of annual production rather than cumulative production. These scale advantages could be higher staff productivity, more fixed cost and depreciation leverage or better purchasing power from suppliers (plus suppliers passing on their own scale savings). Economies of scale can actually cap out fairly early – you get huge benefit from 1 production line producing 500k cars vs 100k cars, but two 500k factories only has limited increased economies of scale vs one 500k factory.​

There is some nuance to these mechanisms though. Experience curves only really work on unique components – when looking at a system with multiple sub components you are really looking at an average experience curve over the whole product. You can’t expect an entire EV to follow the same experience curves – some of its components have already gone through 50 years of learning in ICE cars. Most of an EV Powertrain should follow steep experience curves to some extent - this includes Battery Cells, Packs, BMS, chargers, converters, motors, inverters, cooling etc. But only for costs which are not for off the shelf components or commodities (most battery “commodities” are actually highly value add products which can themselves follow experience curves as EVs increase their cumulative production – but this can also be cancelled out in the short term by supply demand pressures if raw material production expansion is lagging behind end product capacity/demand). Many of the components supplied to Tesla are actually designed by Tesla in-house with just manufacturing outsourced – so many supplier components can also follow experience curves the same as components manufactured in-house.

Another important note on Wright’s Law is that cost reductions at times can rapidly outpace the growth in cumulative production if R&D is suddenly scaled up significantly as a % of an industry’s revenues (or even just if R&D productivity per $ is suddenly increased). This means that Tesla can still achieve significant cost reductions in many of the car components common to both EVs and ICEs. R&D in real manufacturing innovation for car production has been very low for decades as the global auto industry settled into a comfortable oligarchy with no culture of progress or innovation. This means the industry has not been learning enough from the hundreds of millions of cars it has produced over recent decades and there is a lot of slack for Tesla to apply new technology to reenergize innovation in components which are already extremely high volume. This is similar to the Boring Company (almost no R&D for 50 years has left a lot of slack) and SpaceX (corrupt cost plus pricing to lobbyists had stifled innovation in rocket development). For this reason there is some argument that even non EV unique components in Tesla cars could follow quite steep learning curves in line with Tesla’s cumulative production (rather than tracking the much smaller increases in cumulative historical car volume from the past 100 years). But these components will still likely have a much lower learning rate than for the EV component alone.

Another important consideration on Experience Curves/Wright's Law - certain engineering philosophies and corporate cultures can allow you to achieve significantly higher learning rates than the competition - and Elon has fully embraced these advantages.

The three mechanisms driving Wright's Law (R&D scaling, Learning from experience and Economies of scale) are all somewhat interrelated and the lines can be blurred at times.
The main thing they all have in common is that delivering on each works by eliminating the bottlenecks to cost reduction or production increases.
I’ll call this the Bottleneck Theory of Progress and I think it is the key engineering philosophy behind all of Elon’s companies. Elon solves these Bottlenecks by breaking every large goal/problem down into Physics First Principles and then re-writing every challenge in terms of smaller steps. This gives his teams smaller, clear and achievable goals and allows Elon to focus his resources (human and financial) on the key bottlenecks where the most progress can be made for a given number of resources. This engineering philosophy allows Elon to accelerate the mechanisms which drive Wright’s Law and achieve far higher learning rates than previously shown in the industries/product.

This First Principles and Bottleneck approach is completely different to how R&D and innovation normally works in the economy. Generally R&D teams are tasked with iterating the current technology with a 1-5% improvement one step at a time. This leaves most products dependent on sometimes arbitrary design decisions taken years or decades ago, using outdated science and engineering tools and a huge reluctance to pivot from sunk costs. Elon instead looks at every problem from the bottom up, ignoring previous design decisions and pulling in all current knowledge from all branches of technology and engineering. He will rapidly pivot strategies if a newly considered approach solves more cost/volume bottlenecks than the current one, regardless of sunk costs.

One analogy to explain the differences between these approaches is to consider a person tasked with travelling from point A to point B without knowledge of the paths or terrain in between. On his journey he faces many decisions on which fork in the path to take. Some of these decisions are educated guesses while some are random. This person eventually finds themselves scaling a mountain with the route ahead getting gradually more and more difficult with progress getting slower and slower, but he keeps pushing on, one step at a time, refusing to ever turn back. This person is sadly the most common process of innovation in corporations today.
A second person on the other hand realises he can always turn backwards and attempt to find an easier route. He also realises many different people are trying to cross the same terrain (in the real world people pushing forward in different branches of technology/the economy) and that he can communicate with them to try to piece together a fuller picture of the terrain to better plan the route forward. Eventually he finds an alternative and far easier route around the side of the mountain. This person is Elon and this is the culture he has tried to instil in Tesla, SpaceX, Paypal, OpenAI, The Boring Company and Neuralink.

Elon solves these Bottlenecks by breaking every large goal/problem down into Physics First Principles and then re-writing every challenge in terms of smaller steps. This gives his teams smaller, clear and achievable goals and allows Elon to focus his resources (human and financial) on the key bottlenecks where the most progress can be made for a given number of resources. This engineering philosophy allows Elon to accelerate the mechanisms which drive Wright’s Law and achieve far higher learning rates than previously shown in the industries/product.

Elon's first principles approach can also be summed up as: "first figure out the most optimal configuration of atoms that would solve a given problem, then figure out the least expensive path to get there".

when are delivery numbers expected? I'm guessing this MIGHT be the last trading day before...so expect to finish a few points up. there must be people thinking of buying who know the results are looking good and better to be in before than after.

Based on past release dates my guess is October 2 (Wednesday), either 8am-9:30am ET before NASDAQ trading opens, or 4pm-5:30pm ET after the market closes. Last year they released it on October 2 (Tuesday), at 9:04am, before trading.

I'd guess that if they are just a few hundred units short of 100,000 they might be tempted to delay the delivery report by a day or two, for more deliveries to be marked completed for Q3 and to cross the 100,000 deliveries threshold.

The rest of the automotive industry is reporting Q3 deliveries on Wednesday too.

V10 has me seriously considering a YouTube premium or Hulu subscription (already a Netflix subscriber). I’m curious how big of a boost Tesla streaming will be to these businesses, if at all. I also wonder if the the spike in traffic from Tesla interface will get noticed by other companies, who will then push for their own app (AppleTv, PrimeVideo, Sling).

Netflix has ~60 million US subscribers and ~150 million subscribers globally. Tesla has sold at most about one half million MCU2 cars globally so far. So, even if every single new Tesla buyer has Netflix, it’s a relatively small amount.

Ihor is reporting NIO short interest 21.5% of float with 36.8% borrow fee, while Tesla s
hort interest is 27.8% of float with only .58% percent borrow fee. Why such a drastic difference in fees?
Ihor Dusaniwsky on Twitter
Wow, that certainly shows what is actually going on. One is a self-inflicted poorly managed disaster and the other is a huge success being manipulated by thieves on Wall Street so keeping shortscum well supplied is important.

I know this is not really the right thread for this question, but I looked around and couldn't find an appropriate one. So, I have a Sept 2018 built M3 LR AWD with EAP and FSD. Yesterday I got V10 update 2019.32.11 bac8c51. Some features seem to work and others don't. Karaoke is fine but I don't have an entertainment Icon nor do I have advanced summon. Any ideas why not? Thanks.

I know this is not really the right thread for this question, but I looked around and couldn't find an appropriate one. So, I have a Sept 2018 built M3 LR AWD with EAP and FSD. Yesterday I got V10 update 2019.32.11 bac8c51. Some features seem to work and others don't. Karaoke is fine but I don't have an entertainment Icon nor do I have advanced summon. Any ideas why not? Thanks.
The first thing to do is to reboot the display, and see if things start working. Sometimes the installation process needs a bit of help.

From the Australian part of the forum it sounds like many of the cars are being delivered with minor issues, so they’ll be busy fixing those for a while. But my car is perfect.

If the Australian forums are anything like the US forums, there are a significant number of false or exaggerated reports, in an attempt to ward off fence-sitters and hurt Q3 delivery numbers (which I expect to be strong globally). But I'm really more interested in production numbers. Because I firmly believe if Tesla builds it, the buyers will come. I'm not so interested in the EoQ game.

Netflix has ~60 million US subscribers and ~150 million subscribers globally. Tesla has sold at most about one half million MCU2 cars globally so far. So, even if every single new Tesla buyer has Netflix, it’s a relatively small amount.
Elon had once said that MCU1 owners would be able to purchase an MCU2. Any updates on this? Of course he has said such things before (ie, P90D 100kwh battery upgrade,of which only a few if any, were done).

Zero impact. The amount of people streaming in the car will not even show up as a blip on the radar at any of these services.

Disagree. It's not how many people are streaming Netflix or Hulu at any given time - what's relevant is how many people become new subscribers so they COULD stream Netflix or Hulu if they wanted to. I suspect there will be a visible boost in subscribers for both of these services (also Spotify).

Even if the subscriber adds are a relatively small number, they will be a sudden addition to whatever trends were already in place so they should be visible.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kbM3 and madodel
Wow, that certainly shows what is actually going on. One is a self-inflicted poorly managed disaster and the other is a huge success being manipulated by thieves on Wall Street so keeping shortscum well supplied is important.
Also, one has the largest battery factory on the planet, is making solar cells, and is accumulating miles of real world computer vision data, makes their own AI driving CPU/GPU, and will likely pivot shift to an energy company and self driving hardware and software solution...

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: madodel and UncaNed
Disagree. It's not how many people are streaming Netflix or Hulu at any given time - what's relevant is how many people become new subscribers so they COULD stream Netflix or Hulu if they wanted to. I suspect there will be a visible boost in subscribers for both of these services (also Spotify).

Netflix and chilling in a scenic location will become a new meme

This is the section you are looking for: Autopilot & Autonomous/FSD

Double dog disagree, so there!

What do you think the overlap is between Tesla owners and Netflix/Hulu subscribers? Netflix has 150 Million subscribers so roughly half the US population, not including shared subscriptions (my wife and I share one like many people)? How many cars are capable of Tesla Theater (MCU2 only), 600,000? What percentage does not have Netflix already? 5%? 10%? 50%? Let assume 50% as a ridiculously high number and also assume Netflix is available in every market that has Model 3s and every car is updated to V10 now. So 300,000 Tesla owners that don't have Netflix. Let's assume 100% of them get Netflix just because they can stream it in the car.

So 300,000 new subscribers. Netflix added 9,000,000 new subscribers in Q1. So with all that, Netflix would increase it's new subscriber base by 3%.Reduce any number (50% existing owners without Netflix, 100% of whom subscribe just cause) and that drops precipitously. I personally think it is definitely less than 10% of Tesla owners that don't also have Netflix and of that 10% I think it is definitely less than 10% that would subscribe now that they can stream it in their car. So that's what, 60 new subscribers?

Reactions: hacer