Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering about this. POTUS tweets cause such chaos - and out of chaos comes fantastic profit opportunities.

Traders pocket 'stunning' profits after Trump's comments on trade talks goose the stock market

"There is definite hanky-panky going on, to the world’s financial markets’ detriment. This is abysmal."

That’s one longtime CME trader’s troubling assessment of what he views as stock market manipulation the likes of which he hasn’t seen since al Qaeda cashed in before initiating the Sept. 11 attacks.

In Vanity Fair’s deep dive into “the fantastically profitable mystery of the Trump chaos trades,” William Cohan takes a look at how some timely presidential pumping of the stock market made some futures traders billions of dollars.

One windfall, in particular, drew the attention of Finance Twitter. On June 28, a trader, or group of traders, snatched up 420,000 September e-minis, which amounted to about 40% of the total trading volume, shortly before the closing bell. Trump the following weekend emerged from a meeting with President Xi to say the trade talks were “back on track.” The market cheered the announcement and stocks rallied enough to apparently turn that trade into a $1.8 billion profit.​

OT

For US investors/traders: now that trading fee is waved, trading becomes more advantageous than it used to be (not comparing trading with investment, just comparing free trading to trading plus fees).

Trading profit has pretty high tax if holding period is less than a year. I think it's very helpful to max out IRA accounts. If you swing trade in an IRA account, make sure your trading targets are safe companies with reasonable valuation, you can trade index or sector ETFs. Buy low, sell high, study your targets carefully, study their charts. If you only deal with safe companies, when the stocks you picked go lower, you can hold until they come back. Never pick something that has risk to bankrupt. Risky stocks go lower all the time, they look cheap, just never deal with them. Never gamble. Also having 5~8 trading targets is much safer than trading one.

Then use trading profit to buy more stocks for long term. I use trading profit from other stocks to buy more TSLA.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I was just noticing there is so little extended hours TSLA activity, slowest I've ever seen it if I'm seeing what I think I see.

Interesting observation. It also appears to be the case for the ETFs of the market averages, albeit to a lesser degree. During regular hours this was a light trading day for the market averages, but even more markedly so for TSLA. The TSLA bid-ask spreads during after-hours trading today may have been too wide for many traders to bite. A wider spread can occur during the days before an earnings report when the price change immediately afterward could be large in either direction.

OT

For US investors/traders: now that trading fee is waved, trading becomes more advantageous than it used to be (not comparing trading with investment, just comparing free trading to trading plus fees).

Trading profit has pretty high tax if holding period is less than a year. I think it's very helpful to max out IRA accounts. If you swing trade in an IRA account, make sure your trading targets are safe companies with reasonable valuation, you can trade index or sector ETFs. Buy low, sell high, study your targets carefully, study their charts. If you only deal with safe companies, when the stocks you picked go lower, you can hold until they come back. Never pick something that has risk to bankrupt. Risky stocks go lower all the time, they look cheap, just never deal with them. Never gamble. Also having 5~8 trading targets is much safer than trading one.

Then use trading profit to buy more stocks for long term. I use trading profit from other stocks to buy more TSLA.
What exactly does that mean, for a taxed account? I didn't think it was possible to trade at all in a non-IRA account without it counting as regular income.

Don't you have to just buy and let it sit without trading long enough so it counts as capital gains when the stock value goes up if it's not in an IRA??

• Disagree
Reactions: SpaceAggie
What exactly does that mean, for a taxed account? I didn't think it was possible to trade at all in a non-IRA account without it counting as regular income.

Don't you have to just buy and let it sit without trading long enough so it counts as capital gains when the stock value goes up if it's not in an IRA??

Yes - in taxed accounts (non IRA/401k), gains for stock held less than one year are taxed as regular income. If the holding period is one year or more, the gain is taxed at (lower) capital tax rates (which vary depending on your income tax bracket)
There are some minor exceptions but this is the general tax implication

• Helpful
Reactions: UrsS and immunogold