Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the German text it says that they want to do a record attempt on Friday, but some rain is expected. It also says the cars will stay for two weeks. Weather on the Nürburgring should get better after Saturday, according to the forecasts.

Another new tidbit is that Tesla is installing more "temporary Superchargers" to charge the Plaid prototypes.

Plus they disclosed that Porsche upped the Nürburgring ante: recently a "moderately modified Panamera Lion" with a 750 hp ICE engine did a new 7:11 lap record.

"Ford will be releasing its all-new, Mustang-inspired electric SUV, that aims to achieve a targeted EPA-estimated range of 300 miles. The vehicle’s 150kW charging ability will allow very quick charging speeds on Electrify America’s 150 to 350kW network. Ford estimates that its all-new, all-electric Mustang-inspired SUV will be capable to charge up to 47 miles in 10 minutes using Electrify America DC fast chargers,"

Let's do some math:
  • 150000W / (47mi/(1/6 hour) * 6) = 532 Wh/mi
  • 300mi * 0,532 kWh/mi = 160kWh usable. Probably 170-180kWh nominal.
  • Charge rate: 282mph / 453kph

532Wh/mi? Ford hasn't learned a d*mned thing about the importance of streamlining to making a good EV.

I'm thinking Ford must have a typo there. 47 miles in 10 minutes @ 150kW? That can't be right. If it is, why are they bragging about it? :confused:

Plus they disclosed that Porsche upped the Nürburgring ante: recently a "moderately modified Panamera Lion" with a 750 hp ICE engine did a new 7:11 lap record.

How is using a gas engine "upping the ante"? :confused:

Next thing you know they will be bragging about their new lead-acid battery-powered EV with the lowest center of gravity of any sports car ever produced!

His original Model 3 review video was nice, but the "voting guide" video was rather visibly rigged, which started with the BMW 3-Series, describing it in such a fashion:

"The BMW 3-series is a car which does it all. It's good-looking, has a desirable badge, comes packed with class-leading technology, a luxurious cabin, is available with a range of excellent engines and regardless of the model you go for it's fun to drive. It's also very comfortable."

"Yes the BMW 3-series is not only the best sports saloon you can buy, it's also the only car you'll ever really need."​

I.e. the "contenders" voting guide started with what was essentially a dishonest BMW infomercial with 2-3 false claims, with the Tesla only getting a lukewarm mention late into the video.

It wasn't made clear how superior the Model 3P's performance is to the 3-Series both on and off the track, with more passenger volume, with unique features like remote heating and cooling which are super practical in Europe where street parking is common, etc., at a lower price point than the top 3-Series trims.

Also, nowhere in the linked to article does he mention that the Model 3 was actually ranked #2 among all the cars, and the vote total wasn't disclosed.

So I'm not surprised that the BMW 3 Series "won" the vote, and I suspect he can now cash in the "YouTube Influencer fee" from his contact at the BMW marketing department. :D

Well played BMW, well played! :cool:

Last edited:
It could also be shorts covering. Do they also "know something"? :confused: How can you tell the difference?

Yes it could. That's one of the considerations that make TSLA more difficult to analyze than most other stocks from a technical perspective. I suspect that both factors have mattered during this string of up days. The more volatile price swings during morning trading do indeed look more like the activity of shorts. Then calmer trading for long stretches during the afternoons is more in the manner of institutional activity. :cool:

Next thing you know they will be bragging about their new lead-acid battery-powered EV with the lowest center of gravity of any sports car ever produced!

Speaking of lead acid..
The ride on mower market awaits disruption. I’m aware of two lithium models, a Cub and a Green Machine, the latter v expensive and pitched at the pros.
Ryobi have a couple of cheap models, but they sneakily avoid mentioning that the batteries are lead acid on all their web specifications.
We can’t buy the Cub or the Green Machine in Australia, so it’s petrol, lead-acid, or buy a beater and wait.
Buy shares in Cub?

I think Tesla was eyeing the absolute "street legal 4-door sedan" Nürburgring record, not just the EV one - but the Porsche Panamera's 7:11 lap record is now a pretty difficult target. (Assuming it was an official record.)

IMHO Porsche is defending their ICE home turf on the Nürburgring too ...

Last edited:
Two things: First, a new article on Tesla's Crash Testing site:

Tesla crash lab: Exclusive walkthrough of this top-secret facility

Second, I have a theory on Jerome's hint about a change everyone would be happy about and why there is a 6-8 week delay on cars in the US:

All new cars from sometime in October onwards will incorporate the one piece body (or large portions of the body) from the patented stamping machine (vs. the old way of piecing together 74 different parts for just the rear of the car). If you see all the pictures from the test site, you see they're all labeled October 2019: A Model 3, a Model Y (although it looks like a 3), a Model X. Why would you be retesting cars now? Unless you made significant body changes and you need to re-crash test them (and send more to the safety agencies). Again, just a theory. The other reason would be a different battery pack, but I think that's more of a stretch.

More confirmation?

Tesla Takes Safety To The Next Level With New Patents & New Internal Crash Lab | CleanTechnica

Was that shamwow?
tenor.gif