Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If ‘pencils down’ was mid 2018 and only 25% of new tooling is needed why Tesla needs 2.5 years to start producing model Y?

Edited.

Musk said on the call that they’d likely start production at the beginning of next year, volume by the end. That’s 1.5 years, not 2.5.

In the meantime, they’re struggling to supply enough production of 3 to meet demand, why add another vehicle?

Reactions: sundaymorning
lol.

Q4 was $29b annualized...

Tamberrino just reiterating why he is ranked #4,464 out of 5,140 with a half of a star rating on Tipranks:

https://www.tipranks.com/analysts/david-tamberrino
Maybe his actual job isn't analyst.
His job is to aid and abet the illegal manipulation of the shares of public companies. In this particular case, GS has lent many shares to short sellers of TSLA. GS is so deep in the short narrative, that is increasingly irrelevant, that they will do anything to extricate themselves from a potential *sugar*-storm. IMO.

I actually disagree here. He’s absolutely right. It is a recipe for losing money right now for everyone except Tesla. It will take years of losing money to make the transition(during which also eating into their gas car profits) for the Fords, GM’s and Toyotas of the world.

Tesla already bit that bullet, aided by the fact that they didn’t need to maintain a profitable ICE business at the same time.

General Motors' proposal last autumn for the federal government to essentially apply the CA EV requirement nationwide, along with the proposal of several automakers including GM to extend and overhaul the income tax credit, reflects their concern about potential to recover their investment in EVs. Nationwide expansion of the CA EV requirement wouldn't by itself increase demand for their EVs, but it would help to level the playing field among traditional automakers re: investment in EVs , and a flood of EVs in the marketplace might help with market acceptance. The administration instead accepted the industry proposal from last summer to end the CA EV requirement. The fate of this is unknown pending court action and future election results. If GM's proposal is adopted by a future administration and Congress, they will have a better chance to eventually succeed if they devote sufficient resources and talent to tackle the technology gap with Tesla, although if Tesla doesn't trip they will keep raising the technology bar.

Also GM and Ford could consider biting the financial bullet and joining VW to greatly enhance the planned Electrify America network, similar to the Ford-VW-Daimler-BMW joint venture in Europe.

The automakers' dealers have been a hindrance so far with EV sales, but they are also a potential large asset if the automakers can manage the change. I can't imagine some people buying a car with the Tesla model. They want to drive down the street and look at the cars and drive them and know they can take it there for repairs, just a few miles away. The Tesla model fits better with younger people, and they'll eventually replace the older people, but this will take years, and also Tesla needs to work to change the belief of some younger people that their model for service and repairs isn't working. Also many potential buyers are only dimly aware of Tesla or only know about it from propaganda. What's real are the Chevy and Hyundai dealers down the street.

Of course there are many factors in Tesla's competition with the legacy automakers.
- As others have pointed out, Tesla doesn't have the legacy financial burden of GM and Ford.
- Tesla needs to broaden its executive strength and manufacturing base.
- Other manufacturers are developing vehicles in potentially lucrative segments that might be too much of a stretch for Tesla in the near future: Daimler/Freightliner's large 2-axle trucks (a big potential market); and the ID Buzz-based delivery van. And Tesla needs a replacement for the appearance-challenged Model X, either based on the pick-up or the existing vehicle. Others have said that refreshing the S and X is not the best use of capital at this time, but a mid-sized SUV is where the US market is, along with compact SUVs (like the Y). A good looking entry supported by a sufficient battery supply might do very well, at least in the US, and other manufacturers are targeting this market. (Possibly lower applicability to Europe and China is an obstacle.)

Today Tesla is way ahead, but there are more episodes to come in the EV tale before we know the ending.

His job is to aid and abet the illegal manipulation of the shares of public companies. In this particular case, GS has lent many shares to short sellers of TSLA. GS is so deep in the short narrative, that is increasingly irrelevant, that they will do anything to extricate themselves from a potential *sugar*-storm. IMO.
Yeah. Let's not forget these companies are here to make money. They have a system.

And, doing honest and solid research and putting it out there are rarely their mode of operation.

That's also why they don't do as well as Warren. Don't get me wrong. They suck money into their pockets all right.

• Love
Reactions: Joe F
If ‘pencils down’ was mid 2018 and only 25% of new tooling is needed why Tesla needs 2.5 years to start producing model Y?

Edited.

Lots of reasons.

Tesla is STILL cell limited. They want to sell 3GW of battery storage while ramping Model 3 to 7k/week. They are also trying to balance a situation of having a GAAP+ for every quarter and trying to get the SR out the door. Introducing the Model Y into all this can disrupt Tesla's goals especially when they are no where close to exhausting demand for all Tesla products.

Reactions: M|S|W
Cramer on CNBC when asked "What do you think about Honda... buy or sell?"

I'm not recommending any automakers. Life's too short... it's just too hard. I mean [inaudble, he talks so fast] with GM. I have to say, I've been saying a lot of positive things about Tesla... I hate it when the CFO quits, let alone quit a second time, but I gotta tell ya I thought that they actually had a decent quarter. But it's not, uh, it's a balance sheet issue and I don't have the faith.

(not sure if the last sentence was about Honda or Tesla)

Edited.
In the old days when they were simply going to the markets for new capital, maybe they could have piled on and brought the Y forward.

But now they are trying to be actually profitable every quarter. So some things need to be spread out a bit.

Lots of reasons.

Tesla is STILL cell limited. They want to sell 3GW of battery storage while ramping Model 3 to 7k/week. They are also trying to balance a situation of having a GAAP+ for every quarter and trying to get the SR out the door. Introducing the Model Y into all this can disrupt Tesla's goals especially when they are no where close to exhausting demand for all Tesla products.
Panasonic should be bringing up another 5GW of capacity (in other words, another cell line) at GF1 every 2-3 months. So it shouldn't be hard to find the capacity when the Model 3 ramp has leveled out for now into a slight uphill rather than fast climb (at least until China starts kicking out another 3k/week).

As long as Panasonic keeps adding cell lines, they should even have capacity to switch S/X to 2170 by the end of the year I think. Which might lead to switching the Panasonic 18650 lines in Japan to 2170, since Elon made comments about sourcing from Japan as well as the US and China for GF3 - if they can essentially "swap" capacity between Japan and GF1 so that they both have shorter trips to their corresponding factories, then that's a sensible thing to do.

Reactions: lklundin
Lots of reasons.

Lots of reasons.

I agree with your arguments but how do you reconcile Model Y showing around March? If it is how you say than there’s no need for March unveiling. Actually quite the opposite i- it is better that they do not show it.

Agreed. As mentioned before, it's also possible that the direct DC-DC hardware (simple relays on whole bricks of cells) saves money over high-power direct AC-DC conversion hardware (requires high-power high-speed switching and big capacitors); reduced power requirements for the transformers feeding the cabinets; cooling needs might be reduced due to greater efficiencies; and at the very least they won't need to pay for as large of a power feed to be installed. There'll also be no need for reduced powers (aka, decreased throughput) when splitting a cabinet's power between multiple stalls.

There's a lot of potential savings and throughput increases to offset the cell costs.
As I understand it you don't want the supply voltage too much higher than the pack voltage, you want to be able to smoothly ramp the voltage as the pack charges, so I'm not sure if simply switching SC modules in parallel with the pack to charge it is really an ideal solution. Plus, as the SC packs are run down their voltage will drop, and so you'll probably need DC-to-DC conversion in heavy usage scenarios in order to provide the necessary voltage anyways.

However, rather than each pair of stalls and their corresponding cabinet being separate systems from the next pair of stalls, etc, it would probably make a lot of sense to have each stall go to a DC to DC converter which is then connected to a centralized and large battery bank (which in turn would connect to a large efficient AC to DC interface, and perhaps DC to DC from solar power). The bigger DC to DC conversion should be easier/cheaper/more efficient than lots of small AC to DC, and while it might have been a cost saver initially to adapt S/X chargers for the purpose, purpose built monolithic (or at least, modular but with larger modules) power systems are probably more cost effective now at today's scale.

• Informative
Reactions: trailhound
Today Tesla is way ahead, but there are more episodes to come in the EV tale before we know the ending

We already know how this will end with Tesla. They win (and so does the world). The stated goal was to accelerate the transition of vehicles to electric. Legacy ICE automakers resisted and fought. Fair enough. So now the ICE machine is in the bottom of the 9th and barely even trying. So Tesla takes the market. Literally, the boats have sailed on this one. The European invasion has begun. Did I mention solar, power grid stabilization and storage?

Edit: PS - not trying to pick a fight.

Tesla is sourcing their aluminum and steel in China? Europe tends to make most high end steels, US medium grade and China low. Both Europe and US make premium aluminum rolls. Does China make grades used by Tesla?
I don't see why they couldn't source their metal for GF3 from China. It seems unlikely that there is zero capacity for high end steel / aluminum in China. After all a lot of premium products are built there. Though it might require a capacity ramp or something like that at a foundry. They may be importing their steel / aluminum this year, but I imagine within the next 1-2 years after GF3 start of production they'll have local suppliers for it.

Reactions: dc_h and lklundin
Here's what he said yesterday:

Colin Langan

"And just as a follow-up. You commented that you expect China to be online by the end of the year, but there's a lot of articles that the battery supplier - you're looking at different battery suppliers. But, I mean, do you have a battery supplier? Because it seems kind of close to when production is supposed to start."

Elon Musk

"Well, there's really three things: the cell, the module and the pack. We will be making the module and the pack. So it's really just a question of cell supply. And we can essentially use any [high density] [ph] 2170 chemistry. And we expect to be a combination of cells produced at our Gigafactory in Nevada and cells produced in Japan and cells produced locally in China. And we feel confident to have a sufficient supply to hit the 3,000 units."​

I understood this and Elon's other cell related replies with the subtext that these are hotly negotiated details that he doesn't want to talk about too much, to not weaken his negotiation position with suppliers.
I am wondering about Elon's statement about possibly buying cells from Japan for GF3. Is anyone producing 2170 cells in Japan currently? If not, might this possibly imply that Panasonic would stop production of 18650s on their line there and switch to 2170 production? (this would likely require S/X to also be switched to 2170 before that could happen, obviously). At the rate Panasonic is adding new cell lines there could be enough capacity by the end of the year to switch the S/X to sourcing 2170s from GF1, which allow Panasonic to change out the cell lines in Japan to make 2170s to ship to GF3. This would shorten the shipping distances required for both products and thus presumably lower costs (GF1 to Fremont for S/X and Japan to GF3 for China Model 3 SR, versus GF1 to GF3 for China Model 3 SR and Japan to Fremont for S/X).

Of course, he might be just throwing ambiguity out there to keep the suppliers in check.

I agree with your arguments but how do you reconcile Model Y showing around March? If it is how you say than there’s no need for March unveiling. Actually quite the opposite i- it is better that they do not show it.
What do you mean? Took 2 years to get the Model 3 out after revealing...and probably 4 years for Semi/Roadster.

Tesla loves to generate buzz. Announcing the car doesn't mean production will start for any car company. I mean how many concept EVs have we seen from all the legacy automakers that are still a no show? It's kind of how the industry works.

In fact, the reason why people even talk about "future competition" is because all these legacy car makers showed off their concepts. Tesla can't just sit on the sideline and show nothing.

Reactions: M|S|W