Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My point was that specifically for sugar cane, replacing manual labor with machinery when harvesting removes the need to burn.
So, EV is not the only solution, although could potentially help.

Well, there's more than one way to shoe a horse too. But if you don't need any horses, then you don't have any horses that need shoeing. Even if they harvested the cane with tractors, it's still going to impact air quality. Both during harvest and again when they use it drive their ICE vehicles.

ICE vehicles are dirty business.

Well, there's more than one way to shoe a horse too. But if you don't need any horses, then you don't have any horses that need shoeing. Even if they harvested the cane with tractors, it's still going to impact air quality. Both during harvest and again when they use it drive their ICE vehicles.

ICE vehicles are dirty business.
We do need tons of sugar cane to make sugar. We eat lots and lots of sugar, it's added everywhere including milk. And our consumption went way up historically if you watch that episode of Rotten. So, eating sugar will not stop with EVs. I thought that's obvious.

I recall a week or two ago reading that Tesla planned to stockpile all 2019 Chinese Model 3's so they could sell them in Q1 2020. If I'm not misremembering this then this "delay" isn't really a delay at all.
That would drive the shorts into a frenzy. "Proof that nun demand. Chinese model 3s just sitting in a parking lot!"

• Funny
Reactions: sundaymorning
Talk me out of feeling sketchy about the China licensing thing...

It seems like a weird hiccup to me to say the least, considering how lightning quick everything else was built/granted/greenlighted

China knows that screwing over Tesla at this point would be a horrible image for them. The whole world is aware and watching the progress of this. If China wants companies to come to China, screwing over Tesla would do the opposite of what they want. No business would want to heavily invest in China if they feel they'll get screwed at any moment.

Talk me out of feeling sketchy about the China licensing thing...

It seems like a weird hiccup to me to say the least, considering how lightning quick everything else was built/granted/greenlighted
The local party boss didn't receive his P100D yet because of a shipping delay. ;)

H
Shorts have been consistently wrong about Tesla's demand growth, and until they grok the above, they will continue to be wrong about it. The only thing they've been more consistently wrong about has been how much COGS would decline, due to their failure to understand that if you produce dramatically more vehicles without hiring more people or building new production lines, your COGS inherently declines precipitously.
We are still in the early IPhone days, when other companies started to incorporate some features (icons on screens, color screens, apps) "oh, that phone looks shiny but it's just a toy. I need my physical buttons. That's cool but only ATT sells them. Nice screen but I don't like apple products, I'm a blackberry loyalist. Why would you buy one of those? My cousin got one and he dropped it and it broke. My Nokia is indestructible and I don't care about all those other features. It's just a phone."

India produces significant amounts of ethanol for blending with gasoline and it's made from sugar cane. The cane fields are burned every harvest and the problem is so bad Indian farmers have higher rates of respiratory issues directly attributable to the burning of the fields.
Sugar cane is used to mainly make sugar (and liquor etc). Only excess sugar cane is used for ethanol. Ethanol blending is more to help the farmers (who have a lot of political power in India), rather than anything else.

India's ethanol equation

This has nothing to do with the massive pollution caused by burning left over plants from crops like wheat in fall that blends with fog to form smog in northern part of the country, esp around Delhi.

China knows that screwing over Tesla at this point would be a horrible image for them. The whole world is aware and watching the progress of this. If China wants companies to come to China, screwing over Tesla would do the opposite of what they want. No business would want to heavily invest in China if they feel they'll get screwed at any moment.

China can send a message without harming the overall image of the success here.

But here’s Tesla, on the verge of a huge milestone for the company, and the Chinese government can exercise its power to say, “We can delay your triumph by weeks if we want.” Sometimes these things can be simple PR issues, e.g. Tesla’s getting all the credit when the government feels like they deserve more credit.

The pickup will not be solid axle. That's incompatible with Elon's claim that it will handle like a fine sportscar.

True, its expected or hoped that the pickup will sell in higher quantities than the S/X and for sure the niche Roadster. As regards a live axle on the rear of the pickup truck, interesting. I figured Tesla would go with an independent rear setup with air suspension.

Elon's words about the pickup handling as well as a Porsche 911 gives reason to think the Plaid powertrain will be in the pickup truck.

Elon actually said it would be a better sports car than a 911, which would presumably mean a quicker lap time and handling at least close to.

I have much trouble believing this, since the pickup will be much larger, taller and heavier. A feat like this strains credulity and would almost certainly require breakthroughs in suspension and tires (could this be possible?).

My guess is merely better acceleration. If it really was a better sports car, as well as a better pickup than an F150, then LOOKOUT!!!

Elon actually said it would be a better sports car than a 911, which would presumably mean a quicker lap time and handling at least close to.

I have much trouble believing this, since the pickup will be much larger, taller and heavier. A feat like this strains credulity and would almost certainly require breakthroughs in suspension and tires (could this be possible?).

My guess is merely better acceleration. If it really was a better sports car, as well as a better pickup than an F150, then LOOKOUT!!!
I assumed acceleration as well.

Reactions: kbM3
China can send a message without harming the overall image of the success here.

But here’s Tesla, on the verge of a huge milestone for the company, and the Chinese government can exercise its power to say, “We can delay your triumph by weeks if we want.” Sometimes these things can be simple PR issues, e.g. Tesla’s getting all the credit when the government feels like they deserve more credit.

If it were public flexing by the government because they want more recognition, then that further validates my point. Instability due to a government wanting to save face or get more recognition is not a good look. "We want you to be successful but if we feel we're not getting enough spotlight, we'll delay you". That is a red flag to any business that the government is still immature and not ready to act like an adult. If China wants to be taken seriously on the world market for business and not just a cheap manufacturing option, that type of stuff will not fly.

If it were public flexing by the government because they want more recognition, then that further validates my point. Instability due to a government wanting to save face or get more recognition is not a good look. "We want you to be successful but if we feel we're not getting enough spotlight, we'll delay you". That is a red flag to any business that the government is still immature and not ready to act like an adult. If China wants to be taken seriously on the world market for business and not just a cheap manufacturing option, that type of stuff will not fly.
Exactly.
This is how psychopaths and/or narcissists act in relationships.

Honestly I need to see this resolved very, very soon

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Exactly.
This is how psychopaths and/or narcissists act in relationships.

Honestly I need to see this resolved very, very soon

Just to clarify, I do not think that's necessarily what is happening. I think the Chinese government is aware enough to not sabotage all of the good will and positive coverage of being welcoming and supportive of businesses for the past year. I think both parties have leverage here. Tesla could easily say after this that "Yeah I don't think we're going to build another Giga factory here, we'll look to another country for our 2nd Asian Giga factory"