Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VW wanted to push through an amendment that would have limited the incentive to €2k above 4.65m I think. Can't recall the exact number but was like 4cm above the ID3 length and a few below Model 3. "Nice try".

Update: yeah it was 4.65 meters which is 4 cm below the Model 3's length.

VW drängt auf Änderungen bei der E-Auto-Förderung

That´s ridiculous, and all while publicly giving credit to Tesla. Guess it shows just how seriously they feel threatened by Tesla.

Joke?

Have never heard of a vehicle length limit. Only limit is 60,000 EUR for cheapest configuration. I know first hand Teslas do get the incentive...
A German industry trade group advocated restricting the benefit to EVs with a total length less than 4.65m. The Model 3 is 4.69m. Suspicious? Cooler heads prevailed and this disgraceful exclusion was never accepted as policy.

I'm definitely not expecting the pickup reveal to move the market. I think Giga 3 production start on Nov 11th could have a bigger impact if there's any details about how well production is ramping.

I disagree because the pickup truck is a quintessential American icon and is exactly what many Americans need to see Tesla making before they want to invest. There has to be tens of thousands of smart, well-heeled American's with brokerage accounts (oil men, builders, farmers, business men, etc.) who have been eyeing TSLA stock but it just didn't seem "real enough" to them without a vehicle they could relate to. The truck will push them over the edge and greatly broaden the investor base.

They will finally feel like they are on the leading edge again. ;)

A German industry trade group advocated restricting the benefit to EVs with a total length less than 4.65m. The Model 3 is 4.69m. Suspicious? Cooler heads prevailed and this disgraceful exclusion was never accepted as policy.

You can't expect the German government to not protect its own automakers from being curb-stomped by an upstart American company on their home turf, can you?

I disagree because the pickup truck is a quintessential American icon and is exactly what many Americans need to see Tesla making before they want to invest. There has to be tens of thousands of smart, well-heeled American's with brokerage accounts (oil men, builders, farmers, business men, etc.) who have been eyeing TSLA stock but it just didn't seem "real enough" to them without a vehicle they could relate to. The truck will push them over the edge and greatly broaden the investor base.

They will finally feel like they are on the leading edge again. ;)

Haha I was hoping you'd reply after I saw the "disagree". I'm just trying to manage expectations...……(really for myself) ;)

Yeah that's pretty obvious. It's not like it's a price limit, or weight limit, but length? May as well say it doesn't apply to companies that start with T.

which is related to CATL battery agreement announced today as well.
What CATL battery agreement? Do you mean the Bloomberg story from yesterday? That's reporting on an old story from the Summer, there is no 'agreement' just and 'understanding', and why did Bloomberg chose to report this yesterday as if it was news? Its more disinformation from a reliable source of FUD. :rolleyes:

These kinds of moves are never smart and can escalate quickly. Odds are the next US government will be friendlier to EVs and Tesla, so they could retaliate by limiting US EV incentives, targeting German cars by assessing some other ridiculous criteria.

If TSLA can get above $400 by time Plaid S comes out, I can sell the shares I bought on the dip below $200 and buy one.

And regret it in the coming years like the guy who spent several bitcoin on a handful of muffins. Then again the plaid S is going to be a lot more fun for a lot longer than a handful of muffins

Ok, why is nobody bringing up this major news piece:
Elon Musk on Twitter

How can they put more than 100kWh into S/X?
Is it possible with current 18650, 2170?
My understanding was no.

lol, because they're planning on making higher energy density cells in the future? :rolleyes:

Exactly. We've seen all the acquisition pieces for Tesla to potentially make higher density, lower cost cells. My guess would be that those would go first into the new products that "need" the density or have the margins to help with the massive production ramp needed.

The pickup, semi, roadster all have massive needs and will get the new batteries. Remember no one could believe the Semi and Roadster specs? Battery day will show us how. High end model S/X as well it appears, maybe all S/X...

Model 3/Y don't need it. GF1 operation for those batteries is steady and no reason to change it now. Just like the S/X cells haven't changed to the 21700, 3/Y will not change for a long time.

Certainly, Chinese versions will be the last to get any fancy battery tech for IP protection. So there is no worry or surprise that Tesla is having other companies produce those cells.

No, I have zero Apple shares, as I believe it is fairly/fully valued or at least limited upside (compared to Tesla and other stocks). Haven't owned Apple for years. I have tons of TSLA shares. I don't want to see Apple acquire Tesla, nor do I want to see Apple coming out with a car. Nonetheless, for the sake of objectivity, I try to consider how things may transpire in the market regardless of my own desires. After all, isn't that what objective investors should always be doing?

I'm not insisting that Apple is a good automaker. But I am considering the very real possibility (based on multiple reports) that Apple may enter the car business, either as a partner or a full fledged designer/manufacturer. Or even the possibility that they may partner or acquire Tesla. I think it is naive for bulls to blindly dismiss these possibilities. Whether it is a good automaker or successful in general remains to be seen.
To match Apple's expectations, any car will need 40% margin.

No, I have zero Apple shares, as I believe it is fairly/fully valued or at least limited upside (compared to Tesla and other stocks). Haven't owned Apple for years. I have tons of TSLA shares. I don't want to see Apple acquire Tesla, nor do I want to see Apple coming out with a car. Nonetheless, for the sake of objectivity, I try to consider how things may transpire in the market regardless of my own desires. After all, isn't that what objective investors should always be doing?

I'm not insisting that Apple is a good automaker. But I am considering the very real possibility (based on multiple reports) that Apple may enter the car business, either as a partner or a full fledged designer/manufacturer. Or even the possibility that they may partner or acquire Tesla. I think it is naive for bulls to blindly dismiss these possibilities. Whether it is a good automaker or successful in general remains to be seen.
I am still an AAPL shareholder, having made an imprudently large commitment in 2008, since which I really cannot afford to sell although I can live nicely on the dividend yield. OTOH, absolutely nothing at all suggests that Apple will become an auto manufacturer. After all, they are not much of a manufacturer now, they are a designer, logistics manager, marketer, retailer and have a highly organized system allowing them to wholesale all sorts of services. They are not and will not be manufacturers to any material level.

They play a bit with CarPlay, which is just an IOS controller, nothing else. All teh investment has really been about information aggregation and presentation, which could certainly include the same type of integration they already offer to corporate and institutional clients.
Will they offer an updatable OS facilitation process to OEMs? Yes. Will they offer to manage OTA updates? Yes. Will they offer quality management and security management to OEM's? Yes.

Will they build any physical auto related pieces? No!

All that R&D could easily end out with them being a systems integrator for OEM's from JLR to Toyota, all are plausible possibilities. Will all of that happen soon? again, no. They'll probably begin with managing and validating OTA updates for one or more systems-challenged OEMs.

As it is the only people who really understand how OS management might work in cars are people who are involved in Formula 1 and/or Formula E. Those are deep techies, but they know nothing of scale, at which Apple excels. That would make me learn towards JLR or one of the Germans, or even FCA/PSA.

Tesla certainly understands all this, which is one reason why so much energy is going into Plaid. Porsche and all of VAG understand this too. Thus I suspect Apple will go towards one of those others.

All this will be very interesting and the better Apple does the easier it will become for Tesla to expand.

I grew up an Apple fanboy as well.

In terms of the benefits Apple could provide, my perspective is they are good at literally everything Tesla struggles with. Apple could probably fix Tesla's logistics and customer service issues quite promptly. Apple could probably put together a seamless robotaxi app and experience much more easily than Tesla will. Apple already has a very successful App Store, and it remains to be seen if/when Tesla gets into that and how well they can execute it. Apple is quite good at providing subscription services and Tesla doesn't have the time to even put those together (see: premium connectivity).

I think we all see HUGE software opportunities for Tesla down the road, but at what point will they have the resources to focus on them?

This was posed as a partnership. So you are suggesting that Apple would just take over Apple's logistics and service as part of that? I don't see that happening. If you are suggesting it out of scope (that if Apple were in charge these would improve) likely so, but for all the bashing of Tesla service it measures up admirably against dealerships and mechanic shops. Not that all are bad, but the entire field is viewed with a jaundiced eye to the point where it is a cultural staple.

With respect to a robotaxi app... sure, Apple has lots of experience with coding and designing GUIs. But Tesla has done a pretty good job. There just doesn't seem to be much differential and nothing to invoke a partnership. I mean, Tesla could outsource writing an app if that were really an issue. I don't think that it is.

Partnering with Apple to offer subscription services, that doesn't seem to me to be an Apple specific capability. If Tesla were to outsource it, why would they pick Apple over someone else?

Of course, outsourcing anything that is central to the company (like a robotaxi app) is wrong. Either you give someone else entirely too much power over your company or you have to bring it in at some point. Might as well do that to start with. Just as a real world example of how such dependencies can work see Apple and Adobe -- and that was without any formal business relationship, yet Adobe got to dictate to Apple what could be done with the OS and on what time frame.

No, bad idea.

The only thing that comes to mind for me as a potential partnership benefit is Apple's experience in dealing with high volumes of customer interactions -- repairs, etc. I agree that Apple has extensive knowledge in supply chain logistics, etc., but it's unclear to me whether those would sufficiently translate from the consumer electronics space to automobiles, energy products, etc.

Partnering with Apple to handle the phones and other customer facing? Okay, I can sorta see the benefit to Tesla in terms of drawing on experience, but I seriously cannot see Apple selling that as a service. And, in the long run, Tesla is better off investing in their own people and processes.

If, instead of a sold service, it was a partnership where Apple took over the user part of the car and customer interactions so that they could collect fees for Apple music, etc.... Okay, that would be a partnership. But would it be mutually beneficial? I think not, Tesla would be creating an external dependency (like the Adobe/Apple relationship, where Apple could constrain Tesla based on Apple's agenda) such that any benefit would only be near term. In the long run, Apple would benefit by gaining a revenue stream from Tesla and the ability to exert influence.

But that would be one-sided and not mutually beneficial.

How about using some of those 200B cash to build GFs around the world 10x faster than Tesla planed?

My take is Apple could work with Tesla same way as how they work with their other suppliers, they pay for and own the factories, use supplier IP with their own design, then brand the product. This actually doesn’t conflict with Tesla’s mission.

This has been discussed before and more money isn't always the answer. For the sake of argument lets say that 200B just landed in Tesla's lap without any strings attached. Would the smart play be to build GF the world over? I think not. For perspective consider what happened to the mongols -- expand too fast and it stresses the organizational/governing structure resulting in collapse. Sure, the mongols retained control over a vast territory, but they didn't hold onto the even greater territory they conquered.

If Tesla had oodles of money and started to build in India would it be money well spent? Or would India soak Tesla for as much as possible? Honestly, I think the smarter use of the money would be to buyout competitors (not that I think that would be a good idea either).

I think Tesla is expanding as quickly and rapidly as its structure/organization supports. If they wanted to they could always do a money raise.

In summary: I can see how Apple would benefit, but I struggle to see any arrangement that would be mutually beneficial as stipulated in the original question. While there is room for some short term gain it would be at the cost of future losses.

In terms of the Pickup's use in military, it may have some use but defintely not a plugin replacment for what they use in war zones. Keep in mind the humvee was basically discarded when the U.S. went into Iraq / Afghanistan because it had no protection from IEDs exploding underneath. The military quickly worked to develop the MRAP which is much more mine resitant. I worked on modeling / simulation of how to design the interior to optimize occupant safety during blast events.

Obviously the pickup is not optimized to be blast resistant. Although at least the battery pack should provide some better resistance than an ICE vehicle without a v-hull!

How do you know this? Is there a source you can cite? Would love to know if this is in fact true.

Source is this rumor:

It is rumored Apple cut all of their mechanical engineers.

Suggesting they will not make an entire car. But make autonomous and infotainment subsystems to become a Tier 1 supplier to the Automotive OEMs.