Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was in regards to the 2170 form not fitting inside the Model S platform. This could be a new battery size or Tesla spent the money and redesign the platform. No doubt the updated S/X will have the new reduced internal wiring architecture which will make it and the X cheaper to produce (less labor).

Ok, why is nobody bringing up this major news piece:
Elon Musk on Twitter

How can they put more than 100kWh into S/X?
Is it possible with current 18650, 2170?
My understanding was no.

I read the question as: Will the truck have a bigger battery than S/X? At the predicted range, the confirmation comes as no surprise.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you are an AAPL shareholder. ;)

It's the only way your insistence that Apple would be a good automaker and your refusal to drop this silly idea makes any sense to me.

No, I have zero Apple shares, as I believe it is fairly/fully valued or at least limited upside (compared to Tesla and other stocks). Haven't owned Apple for years. I have tons of TSLA shares. I don't want to see Apple acquire Tesla, nor do I want to see Apple coming out with a car. Nonetheless, for the sake of objectivity, I try to consider how things may transpire in the market regardless of my own desires. After all, isn't that what objective investors should always be doing?

I'm not insisting that Apple is a good automaker. But I am considering the very real possibility (based on multiple reports) that Apple may enter the car business, either as a partner or a full fledged designer/manufacturer. Or even the possibility that they may partner or acquire Tesla. I think it is naive for bulls to blindly dismiss these possibilities. Whether it is a good automaker or successful in general remains to be seen.

i hope the truck reveal is better organized than the last few Tesla media events. The Model Y reveal was sad because they had so much hype and attention, but the event itself was just a total mess in terms of organization, presentation, and pacing. The Semi / Roadster reveal was the last one that didn't feel sloppy and thrown together.

The pickup event is going to be AWESOME. Because the truck won't Osborn any of their existing products to any significant degree.

But I am considering the very real possibility (based on multiple reports) that Apple may enter the car business, either as a partner or a full fledged designer/manufacturer. Or even the possibility that they may partner or acquire Tesla. I think it is naive for bulls to blindly dismiss these possibilities.

Apple has given up becoming an automaker. They will likely be a software provider to the car industry if they get their sh*t together. It would be almost impossible for Apple to acquire Tesla. It takes more than money to pull that off and Apple doesn't have it in them.

Last edited:
...have a feeling there will be smoke on this front in the coming year.

...have a feeling I’m reliving 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 & 2017.

Some stories just won’t die. It’s like watching episodes of Preacher; shotgun to the face, dropped from a helicopter, chopped up into pieces et al, and still it lives to see another day. :rolleyes:

Along with @kbM3 and some others, I am uncomfortable with the German incentives as currently understood.

A €6000 incentive, it appears, means in fact the authorities are saying "If YOU drop the price by €3000 then WE will give the purchaser another €3000".

Does anyone think this is or is not a reasonable interpretation? Is this an efficient way to present an incentive package? Is the rational automaker going to -

1. Swallow the €3000 reduced margin?
2. Raise base price by €3000?
3. Split the above two?
4. Shift its marketing emphasis to another market?
5. Decide that the increase in demand for its product brought about by that shifted price line overcomes the lowered margin so that the German market is in fact a more robust one than it otherwise would have been, thus happily sell at the newly-created base price?
5. Something else?

• Informative
Reactions: kbM3 and Thumper
...have a feeling I’m reliving 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 & 2017.

Some stories just won’t die. It’s like watching episodes of Preacher; shotgun to the face, dropped from a helicopter, chopped up into pieces et al, and still it lives to see another day. :rolleyes:

Apologies for the re-run! The difference this time would be (if verified as true) Apple trying to be, and deciding against, being a vehicle manufacturer.

I think the design of the pickup is going to keep the SP from reacting too positively in the short-term after reveal (in contrast to if they just revealed a Rivian-like truck).

I don't think the design will ultimately fail, but will take time to catch on. Hence there will be plenty of "Tesla isn't going to sell any of these! What were they thinking?" FUD-storms until it's ramped and selling.

PS. I hope the first part of this post ages poorly.

The pickup is going to look so cool, so well designed, only the shortest shorts will claim they won't sell any. Some truck owners (mostly over 50 and some younger traditionists) will say it's not their "cup of tea" but it will undeniably be in demand. The truck market is HUGE and if 30% of it thinks it's great it will be a raging success.

What benefit does Elon see in announcing that Plaid S/X will have bigger batteries?
He doesn't clculate like that. He literraly just answered because he wanted to.
But........If he were to be a little more calculating, could it be that some of the smarter investors will realize this is a trial of the maxwell/Tesla batteries in the flagship product? ;)