Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What benefit does Elon see in announcing that Plaid S/X will have bigger batteries?
People who have the money to purchase a Plaid but don't really care about the performance will purchase for the additional range. Range an performance are what sells Teslas. This move targets two groups rather than just one.

Reactions: capster and humbaba
The pickup is going to look so cool, so well designed, only the shortest shorts will claim they won't sell any. Some truck owners (mostly over 50 and some younger traditionists) will say it's not their "cup of tea" but it will undeniably be in demand. The truck market is HUGE and if 30% of it thinks it's great it will be a raging success.
Plenty of idiots will say the same old things. I still have people argue with me about charging. "oh, you save 2k a year in gas and charging takes you 10 seconds a day instead of 10 minutes a week getting gas? Yeah right it takes an hour!". Fortunately as you mentioned the market is large enough and there will be enough people who use them as actual work vehicles to sell a ton. The coal rolling derps will stick to their diesel until they die of lung cancer.

And regret it in the coming years like the guy who spent several bitcoin on a handful of muffins. Then again the plaid S is going to be a lot more fun for a lot longer than a handful of muffins
Yeah but the Roadster I buy when the stock goes to 1k will be more fun than an S. ;)

upload_2019-11-6_13-23-39.png

The main anti Tesla move here is the €40,000 limit of the €6,000 incentives: just below the €44,000 of the base SR+.

Other than that all of these changes are positives, in particular the new €65,000 upper limit should now include a fully maxed out Model 3 Performance as well, which costs €64,720 currently. Most Model Y trims should be covered as well.

According to press reports the new incentives package will be finalized and announced in November, I.e. within the next few weeks.

German commenters on Electrek claim the €40k limit is pre-VAT, so SR+ qualifies.

To match Apple's expectations, any car will need 40% margin.
This is very true, and one of the reasons Apple may NOT enter the market. They have to weigh this against the money they can make from autonomy and carOS. Partnering, like Google, would be less capex, but it's not really Apple's way to just do software. IMO, they really are in a conundrum. I would not be surprised with any outcome. Really curious what they are thinking in Cupertino right now.

It was very hard to see also. Terrible lighting.

I disagree about them being late to the smart phone market. They made the market. Of course, this is all subjective but I don't consider blackberries and the like to be similar devices. Every feature that we now associate with "smartphone" comes directly from the IPhone.

Actually, Qualcomm invented the Smartphone (after they went to Apple with the idea and were rebuffed). They then went to 3COM and licensed the Palm Pilot operating system and created the very functional QCP-6035 (it would go over 4 days on one battery under light usage and a solid 2 days with regular usage):

6035large.gif

This was every bit a smartphone with a GUI, touchscreen, and downloadable apps and widgets for contacts, word processing, database, timers and alarms, games, Internet browser, PDF capability, handwriting recognition, etc, and it pre-dated the iPhone by 5 years! Released in January 2001. We had it and used it for years. I bought a smaller smartphone from Qualcomm (actually it had become Kyocera by then) but my wife refused to give up the QCP-6035 because it worked so well and the battery life was so excellent. And, guess what? This was the second generation smartphone! The first was the PDQ-800 released in June 1999 with many of the same features. These early smartphones were very slick and the primary reason they were not a mass-market item was that most people didn't even have Internet at home so they didn't know they needed the Internet on their cell phone. Many didn't even have cell phones!

This is why a little part of me dies every time someone says "Apple invented the smartphone". Sigh! Youngsters these days! ;)

Probably 20 years from now people will claim Tesla invented the BEV!

S&PGR Revises Tsla Otlk To Pos Frm Neg; 'B-' Rtg Affmd

-- Given Tesla Inc.'s(TSLA) recent debt reduction and stronger than expected cash flow, its financial commitments appear sustainable for now--albeit with ongoing execution risks.
-- We are affirming our 'B-' issuer credit rating on Tesla to reflect sufficient liquidity cushion to manage production rampups in China for the Model 3 and the launch of the Model Y in 2020. We are revising the outlook to positive from negative.
-- The positive outlook reflects an increased likelihood that Tesla's credit metrics will improve more than our base-case projection because of higher demand and manufacturing-related efficiencies. We assume debt to EBITDA falls below 4x, with slightly negative free operating cash flow (FOCF) in 2020.

5. Something else?
#5. Carmakers aren't allowed to charge different prices in Germany vs the rest of the EU.

This is a stealth tariff hiding inside a subsidy, one designed to slow the adoption of EVs that aren't made in Germany. It attempts to either force Europeans to subsidize German industry, or outsiders to compete on an unlevel field of play. Bad show, Germany.

Last edited:
This is not in the future, this is like 8 months away with model Y coming out at the same time.
There are implications here, but I don't want to jump to conclusions.
Still waiting for battery investor day.

Just curious. What is your definition of the future, if 8months from is now isnt..? What do you call it then?

Its not the past, and not the present.. its.. ?

;-)

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I am still an AAPL shareholder, having made an imprudently large commitment in 2008, since which I really cannot afford to sell although I can live nicely on the dividend yield. OTOH, absolutely nothing at all suggests that Apple will become an auto manufacturer. After all, they are not much of a manufacturer now, they are a designer, logistics manager, marketer, retailer and have a highly organized system allowing them to wholesale all sorts of services. They are not and will not be manufacturers to any material level.

To be clear, we need to distinguish between design and manufacture. Yes, Apple only designs all its products, and is mostly manufactured by third parties outside the USA. The question is not whether Apple will actually manufacture cars, but whether they will design their own car (to be manufactured by Apple or a third party) or whether they will partner with existing OEM designs, and merely provide software/sensor systems (or neither).

• Helpful
Reactions: Cherry Wine
Hmm... Nah, can't be. Can it?

Please people, let's not talk about any refresh or redesign. Taboo!

That's the question, isn't it? With Elon using words like, "new chassis" it makes one wonder.

95 % of me thinks this is the same 8 year old platform with a new powertrain, interior, headlights and taillights. Though I am not sold on that there will actually be a widebody Plaid, but we will see.

5% thinks that next year there could be a new S/X sitting on the same platform as the Truck and Roadster. It will not be in production but will be available for preorder next summer. The "one more thing" on the 21st is a X replacement based on the Truck.

Speculating is fun and all the answers will be revealed soon enough.

What's up with the SP jump?
Actually, Qualcomm invented the Smartphone (after they went to Apple with the idea and were rebuffed). They then went to 3COM and licensed the Palm Pilot operatin

This was every bit a smartphone with a GUI, touchscreen, and downloadable apps and widgets for contacts, word processing, database, timers and alarms, games, Internet browser, PDF capability, handwriting recognition, etc, and it pre-dated the iPhone by 5 years! Released in January 2001. We had it and used it for years. I bought a smaller smartphone from Qualcomm (actually it had become Kyocera by then) but my wife refused to give up the QCP-6035 because it worked so well and the battery life was so excellent. And, guess what? This was the second generation smartphone! The first was the PDQ-800 released in June 1999 with many of the same features. These early smartphones were very slick and the primary reason they were not a mass-market item was that most people didn't even have Internet at home so they didn't know they needed the Internet on their cell phone. Many didn't even have cell phones!

This is why a little part of me dies every time someone says "Apple invented the smartphone". Sigh! Youngsters these days! ;)

Probably 20 years from now people will claim Tesla invented the BEV!

Good correction. Does that go along the lines of "Ford invented the car" or "Columbus discovered America"? Sometimes false perceptions are very telling. ;) I still think the credit goes to the newton. ;P