Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Artful Dodger
@Fact Checking
@generalenthu

This post is an attempt to evaluate the impacts of the FCA-Tesla CO2 emission pool for 2020-2023. This analysis updates earlier work by using the latest 2018 EU emissions and fleet sales numbers along with the 2020 “Phase-In” rules.

Background:
Strict new CO2 emission limits have been imposed on new cars sold in the EU starting in 2020. Any manufacturers which sell in the EU are allowed to “pool” their fleets to reduce the pool average emissions and penalties. Fiat-Chrysler Automotive (FCA) and Tesla Inc. have formed such a pool with the implication that FCA will reimburse Tesla for participating. The details of this reimbursement are not clear, but some assumptions will be made, and the implications examined.

TL;DR:
Assuming the FCA pays Tesla 50% of the penalty-reduction value of the Tesla ZEVs sold in the EU (suggested by @Fact Checking ), Table 1 shows the payments to Tesla indicated by this assessment.

Table 1.png

The rest of this post documents the methodology used.

Major assumptions and findings:
The FCA-Tesla Pool emission target is 92 g/km (Ref. 1)
The EU emission penalty is 95 €/(g/km)/vehicle (Ref.1)

Table 2.png

Table 2 Column A shows the average CO2 emissions for the ICE portion of the pool (Ref. 1). These are 2018 values and are assumed to be constant through 2023, except for 2020 due to Phase-In rules (described below).

Table 2 Column B shows the number of ICE vehicles in the pool. These are 2018 FCA numbers (Ref. 1 and 4) and are assumed to be constant through 2023, except for 2020 due to Phase-In rules.

Table 2 Column C shows the Super-Credit factors. These allow a limited number of low-emission vehicles to have an exaggerated beneficial effect on emission penalty calculations (Ref. 1). The Super-Credit rules are described below.

Table 2 Column D shows the computed maximum number of ZEVs that can have Super-Credit status.

Table 2 Column E shows the computed penalty-reduction value per vehicle of the Super-Credit ZEVs.

Table 2 Column F shows the computed number of ZEVs (in addition to the Super-Credit ZEVs) needed to eliminate the entire emission penalty.

Table 2 Column G shows the computed penalty-reduction value per vehicle for the non-Super-Credit ZEVs.

Figure 1 captures the penalty situation graphically. The initial steeper slopes to the curves are due to the Super-Credit effect and the break in the slope occurs when their scope limitations occur. The downward shift of the 2020 data is due to the Phase-In rules.

Figure 1.png

Several things are immediately obvious:

1) The Super-Credit ZEVs have a very high value in penalty reduction (12,500€ - 19,500€ per vehicle), but they only apply to the first 20,000-30,000 ZEVs.

2) The non-Super-Credit ZEV’s still have 9000€/ZEV of penalty-reduction value and the total penalty is such that there is room for lots of them (180,000 to 240,000) before the penalty is completely eliminated.

Table 3 tabulates the penalty reduction values as a function of ZEVs added to the fleet.

Table 3.png

Implications for Tesla:
There has been speculation on the structure of FCA’s payment to Tesla for the inclusion of their ZEVs into the pool, but specifics seem lacking. As an example, the value of each Tesla could be thought of as a negotiated fraction of its penalty-reduction value (a “bounty”), paid by FCA. @Fact Checking suggested 50% for this bounty, and the results of that assumption are shown in Table 1. Table 1 is simply Table 3 multiplied by the bounty; any bounty value can be applied.

This assessment assumed negligible FCA ZEV contribution (consistent with Ref. 1 2018 data). If in the 2020-2023 timeframe FCA introduces (and sells) significant ZEVs of their own, these would presumably be the first placed in the Super-Credit category. These can simply be subtracted from Table 2 Column D, with the remainder available for Tesla. That remainder multiplied by the appropriate value in Column E will give the remaining Tesla Super-Credit penalty reduction. If FCA ZEV sales exceed the maximum available Super-Credits, the remaining FCA non-Super-Credit ZEVs can be subtracted from Table 2 Column F and remainder then multiplied by the appropriate value in Column G to get the remaining Tesla non-Super-Credit penalty reduction.

Presumably, penalties would by assessed by the EU in the year following their computation (e.g., 2020 emission exceedances would be penalized in 2021). The timing of the payments from FCA to Tesla (and subsequently availability for Tesla financial reporting) is unknown. It is possible that for each ZEV sale, Tesla would receive an immediate bounty. It is also possible that the lump Tesla bounty payments would go out at the same time as the penalty payment to the EU (a year after the sales).

FCA-PSA:

It’s not clear what the merger of FCA and the PSA Group means as far as the pooling arrangement with Tesla. A similar stand-alone assessment using combined FCA and PSA EU data and assuming a theoretical FCA-PSA-Tesla pool is in works.

Details

Super-Credits (Ref. 1):
Super-credits allow manufacturers to count their initial “low-emission vehicles” (<50 g CO2/km) as “multiple vehicles”. FCA has essentially no low-emission vehicles in its fleet, so all Super-Credits go to the Teslas.
Super-credit multipliers: 2020: 2.0, 2021: 1.67, 2022: 1.33, 2023: 1.0. Super-Credits are eliminated after 2023.
Maximum scope of super-credits: 7.5 g/km CO2 of effective emission reduction

2020 Phase-In (Ref. 1):
The wording associated with the 2020 phase-in is a bit ambiguous. Ref. 1 Section 4: “…the provision allows manufacturers to base average CO2 emission values on the best-performing 95% of vehicles”. I’m interpreting this to mean the manufacturer can exclude 5% of their worst polluting vehicles from the calculation of their average CO2emissions for 2020 and also exclude them from the total fleet count.
Ref. 5 provides an extensive list of independent emissions tests. Some of the worst scores for 2018 Fiat are the petrol 500X and the petrol Panda, all in the range of 175-200 g/km CO2. According to Ref. 4, 94,960 500Xs and 168,094 Pandas were sold in Europe in 2018 (total 265,034). Although the breakdown between petrol and diesel are not provided, it is likely that al least 35,000 (5% of the fleet) of these are petrol. It is therefore assumed that 35,000 vehicles with CO2 emissions of (average) 187 g/km are excluded from the 2020 Fiat fleet. The recomputed fleet size and average emission value are shown in the first row, Column A and B of Table 2.

“Eco-Innovations” (Ref. 1):
“Eco-Innovations” were meant to be incentives to reduce ICE vehicle emissions. They include things like efficient alternators, LED lights and solar roofs and computations are used to translate them into CO2 credits. These could be used to reduce average CO2 emission values up to 7 g/km. FCA has no Eco-Innovations (Ref 3.).

References:

1) CO2 emissions from new passenger cars in the European Union: Car manufacturers’ performance in 2018 | International Council on Clean Transportation

2) European vehicle market statistics, 2018/2019 | International Council on Clean Transportation

3) Overview and evaluation of eco-innovations in European passenger car CO2 standards | International Council on Clean Transportation

4) Fiat European sales figures

5) EQUA Carbon Dioxide Index | EQUA INDEX | Independent real world driving data

Fun facts:

Debt-to-Equity ratios:
* Tesla: 2,38
* Ford: 4,4

Debt-to-EBITDA:
* Tesla: 6,66
* Ford: 32,05

TSLAQ will try the humourous excuse of, "Well, that's mostly in their lending unit, you can't count that!" As if you can just chop off portions of your debt that make your balance sheet look bad (does Tesla get to do that with its SolarCity debt? ;) ). As if Ford's lending unit isn't a critical, integral part of their business. As if said debt isn't significantly more risky than Tesla's due to the risk of significant devaluation of the backing assets.

COUNTERPOINT: Tesla's Debt-to_EBITDA ratio is the sign of the devil. So...checkmate. #TESLAQforever

To me, the Mach-E launch is just more proof about how far ahead Tesla is in the EV space, and the legacy automakers are better off licensing technology from Tesla rather than trying to build a whole car from scratch. It reminds me a lot of the PC industry in the early days - at first everyone tried to build their own computer from scratch, but then they realized that the best bet was to buy a standardized platform and innovate on top of that. I think Tesla is that platform for the future of transportation.

Question: What is different about Ford from the other automakers in terms of sales approach?

GM dealers don't want to sell the Bolt. What would make Ford believe that their dealers will want to sell the Mach-E?

Because it’s a Mustang, of course! :D
Seriously, sticking the Mustang label on it is surprisingly tone-deaf. They’re going to get huge backlash from Stang fans (#notamustang), a big “meh” from green EV purists, and laughter from Tesla people. So who exactly is this supposed to win over? It’s a worse branding choice than the old Taurus X.

[edit: the Taurus X dropped that label pretty quickly and became the Flex, but not before killing the original Taurus. So... yeah.]

So who exactly is this supposed to win over? It’s a worse branding choice than the old Taurus X.

Pretty simple - people that are averse to Tesla because they're under the impression it's about to go bankwupt, or that Teslas catch fire, or that it's a West Coast Silicon Valley company and therefore the devil, or that it collects very important data about them or one day a hacker will use Autopilot to kill them, or it's forever associated with rich people and we don't like rich people, etc.

Believe me, there ARE lots of such people. Even otherwise smart ones. I know a few.

That almost looks like they took an less aerodynamic shape, and tried to black out the spoiler and part of the roofline to make it look like it was more aerodynamic than it really was.

(I suspect that they did this for rear headroom reasons, and the spoiler is probably helping the drag coefficient by keeping flow attached on the higher roof, but I'd also not be surprised if the Cd is in the 0.27-0.29 range, not the 0.23 of the Model Y.)

At the risk of being called out for being Off Topic (guilty) -

Have family visiting from NZ now, and when probing how they like their Model S, my sister said that one of her chief frustrations is the lack of a rear wiper. Now, even when we had ours in dusty, dirt-road Arizona, our experience was that the rear window was about the only part of the car that did not get overly dusty, but I ascribed her experience as just one more feature of living the Antipodeal life.

Anyhooo.....I explained that Tesla determined the lower Cd without a wiper more than offset the disadvantage of some dirt/water/dust collection on the glass - but also that that may have been the California-centric design/engineering bias. We find that any disadvantage of our Teslas to be the fault of California. It's quite convenient, donchaknow?

So fast forward couple of hours and now we were watching the Mach E with - yes - a rear wiper. So who is bold enough to throw out a prediction of how much inefficiency that strip of metal & rubber provides?

This post is an attempt to evaluate the impacts of the FCA-Tesla CO2 emission pool for 2020-2023. This analysis updates earlier work by using the latest 2018 EU emissions and fleet sales numbers along with the 2020 “Phase-In” rules.

Fantastic analysis, that's really useful!

The two main takeaways I can see here is:
  • For 2020 the maximum number of European deliveries Tesla can gain under the FCA pool is 173k vehicles, the first 22k of which gain double ZEV credits (super-credits). This means that if FCA pays Tesla immediately upon Tesla earning a ZEV credit into the pool, then Tesla could earn about $100m per every 10,000 units delivered in Europe in Q1'2020. For the current levels of ~30,000 EU units Tesla would gain about $300m of ZEV income from this channel - at near 100% margins.
  • The PSA merge would increase the maximum size of the pool enormously, with no disadvantages to Tesla. The supercredits pool stays constant at ~22k units, right?

Super-credit multipliers: 2020: 2.0, 2021: 1.67, 2022: 1.33, 2023: 1.0. Super-Credits are eliminated after 2023.

One very minor question: a super-credit factor of 1.0 means no special treatment for super-credits, right? Which means that supercredits are eliminated after 2022, not after 2023, right? Your per year supercredit calculations support that view.

Neal Boudette at New York Times at it again.

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 10.58.12 AM.png

EVs are prim and proper?
But Mustang fast and powerful?
What a stupid caption.
When a Model S blows by you in ludicrous plus mode I'm not sure you say:
"Oh my look at that prim and proper electric car. Thank god Mustang will finally be fast and powerful!"

Ford Wants to Sell You an Electric S.U.V. It’s Called a Mustang.

Side note: Calling this mini SUV a "Mustang" is not smart brand wise. Save "Mustang" for a sporty EV coupe.

The whole point of a Tesla truck was to convince Detroit truck buyers to buy electric trucks and radically reduce their carbon footprint. And eat all of Detroit's profits and force them to electrify.

It is not to get urban West Coasters to trade in their Honda Civics for Tesla Cybertrucks.
I thought the point was to sell lots of trucks? If that was the only intent, then making it look different than old fashioned truck designs is probably not a good move.

On a serious note, I don't understand the connection of your comment to mine. Do you not think that this product might expand the pick up market?

Last edited:
Is this price dip because of the Tesla killer Mach-E? That name just rolls off the tongue. :confused:
Seriously, sticking the Mustang label on it is surprisingly tone-deaf. They’re going to get huge backlash from Stang fans (#notamustang), a big “meh” from green EV purists, and laughter from Tesla people. So who exactly is this supposed to win over? It’s a worse branding choice than the old Taurus X.

[edit: the Taurus X dropped that label pretty quickly and became the Flex, but not before killing the original Taurus. So... yeah.]
Yeah I don't get it at all. Mustang fans are unlikely to go electric, and even less likely to move into an SUV. Ford is clearly nervous about demand and wants to leverage some goodwill from one of their only 2 cars left. (I can't recall, maybe it's more than 2 but just a few models)

Pretty simple - people that are averse to Tesla because they're under the impression it's about to go bankwupt, or that Teslas catch fire, or that it's a West Coast Silicon Valley company and therefore the devil, or that it collects very important data about them or one day a hacker will use Autopilot to kill them, or it's forever associated with rich people and we don't like rich people, etc.

Believe me, there ARE lots of such people. Even otherwise smart ones. I know a few.
Smart people can be morons too. It's 2019. ;)

To me, the Mach-E launch is just more proof about how far ahead Tesla is in the EV space, and the legacy automakers are better off licensing technology from Tesla rather than trying to build a whole car from scratch. It reminds me a lot of the PC industry in the early days - at first everyone tried to build their own computer from scratch, but then they realized that the best bet was to buy a standardized platform and innovate on top of that. I think Tesla is that platform for the future of transportation.
Yeah, but that analogy
Fantastic analysis, that's really useful!

The two main takeaways I can see here is:
  • For 2020 the maximum number of European deliveries Tesla can gain under the FCA pool is 173k vehicles, the first 22k of which gain double ZEV credits (super-credits). This means that if FCA pays Tesla immediately upon Tesla earning a ZEV credit into the pool, then Tesla could earn about $100m per every 10,000 units delivered in Europe in Q1'2020. For the current levels of ~30,000 EU units Tesla would gain about $300m of ZEV income from this channel - at near 100% margins.
  • The PSA merge would increase the maximum size of the pool enormously, with no disadvantages to Tesla. The supercredits pool stays constant at ~22k units, right?

One very minor question: a super-credit factor of 1.0 means no special treatment for super-credits, right? Which means that supercredits are eliminated after 2022, not after 2023, right? Your per year supercredit calculations support that view.
i believe more Super-Credits will be available as the number of ICE in the pool grows. The number is limited by a fixed average emission reduction, so with more ICE vehicles, it will take more Super-Credits to get that reduction. I'll try to run those numbers tonight (or at least before the CYBRTRK insanity takes over his thread).

Yes, in effect the Super-Credits are gone after 2022 assuming the 2023 multiplier of 1.0 does not change. the whole concept of Super-Credits goes away after 2023.

Reactions: generalenthu
All that fight last week over 350.....only to slump back down due to "competition". Its nice to know that wall st values a EV coming out on early 2021(the late 2020 launch sounds like it will be in very very small numbers) with inferior specs over the Model Y that will be in volume production in 5 to 6 months with 25-30% margin :rolleyes:

Most people who are actively shopping new Mustangs are not going to be actively shopping for a small SUV. Most people shopping for older/vintage mustangs, all of a sudden will not stop wanting that classic, just because they re-used the name.

I feel that thoughts around this are a bit 'generation-centric' .

The vast majority of people buying a car could not care less about the name of the car. As a car person, you realize quickly most people are not car people. I could put 10k wheels on my car, and I guarantee you my wife would not notice. She also could not care less about the symbol, or name of the car. What she does care about, and what most people who shop for a new car care about is the basics- Price, functionality, comfort, driving feel...probably in that order as well.

This thing will sell. It will sell well. Thats why they copied Tesla. The name is just marketing.

The 'next generation' will think of this vehicle when they think Mustang. They might also ask you why we say 'roll down the window'.