Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll admit that I just sold all TSLA shares at $355.xx. I've been holding onto TSLA for some time now (that dip down into $2xx was a hard to face; oldest shares dated back in 2018). Based on so many past events and holding stock into it, the next day TSLA is on sale... I'd rather unload now, rebuy back at a lower price. Just a strategy that most likely will work. If TSLA goes higher, I'll hop back onto the train. Keeping my sell plan as I discussed with my wife and just executed, staying on course. I originally had a sell order for half of my TSLA holding at $360 but removed it because I saw it heading up, but checked back later it never sustained momentum to reach $365 (new sell order), so I'll have to settle with $355.

I highly doubt TSLA will head higher because it's not like the truck will be in production any time soon to help Tesla profit, since Model Y is priority right now. So I anticipate TSLA dropping tomorrow. But who knows...

Based on history, that is a reasonable position. Your odds are better for the short term.
The most serious shorts - I see legacy auto and Big Oil - they constantly aim for dampening enthusiasm in Tesla's market. These events are prime territory, and especially work to convince casual observers that the events have been deemed a failure by 'people in the know', i.e. investors.
However, I believe a better strategy is simply to get used to the idea of taking a long term position and not caring. $185 is not fun, and $385 is great, but still, my rule is not to really care. In my case, that is where my shares are.
But I do still like the excitement of the market, so I trade some call options. By definition, they are a relatively short term trade. I like to purchase them when the stock is quite low, and time expiry to be fairly close to an event on the fairly distant horizon. Then I sell them close to the event.
If there is any consistent pattern in TSLA prices, that seems better than a toss of the coin.
My bonus is, if the calls do ok, I can purchase some more shares.

This is why I need the Cybertruck, my S sat home most of this week as I have to cross this wash daily and flash flooding was predicted. Sitting in traffic watching all those Tesla’s go by on my commute has been tough these last few days.
C8D456BF-53F1-4125-BFCF-F7C9DBF93069.jpeg

I'll admit that I just sold all TSLA shares at $355.xx. I've been holding onto TSLA for some time now (that dip down into $2xx was a hard to face; oldest shares dated back in 2018). Based on so many past events and holding stock into it, the next day TSLA is on sale... I'd rather unload now, rebuy back at a lower price. Just a strategy that most likely will work. If TSLA goes higher, I'll hop back onto the train. Keeping my sell plan as I discussed with my wife and just executed, staying on course. I originally had a sell order for half of my TSLA holding at $360 but removed it because I saw it heading up, but checked back later it never sustained momentum to reach $365 (new sell order), so I'll have to settle with $355.

I highly doubt TSLA will head higher because it's not like the truck will be in production any time soon to help Tesla profit, since Model Y is priority right now. So I anticipate TSLA dropping tomorrow. But who knows...

The key part of your post is the last sentence:” but who knows”. Exactly! And this is why you do not try and jump in and out of a stock that has a great long-term value. Just stay in and take the 30%+ annual gains that will come. Tesla is actually striving to grow 50%-100%/year, so the gains could actually be that high. And they don’t happen smoothly or expectedly. Many, many lost out on massive Amazon and Apple gains because they “thought “ they detected a pattern and were just left behind for good when they were wrong and were waiting and waiting forever for them to drop so they could buy back in.

The most serious shorts - I see legacy auto and Big Oil - they constantly aim for dampening enthusiasm in Tesla's market. These events are prime territory, and especially work to convince casual observers that the events have been deemed a failure by 'people in the know', i.e. investors.
December 11 ARAMCO IPO should free up some cash for plays like this, how do you think they will deploy it?

• Helpful
Reactions: Jovian and capster
Wow, that subframe invention will be ready for Mfg? The machine must be even huge-r.

Still, this swapping and bringing up new tools will take some time off Q1, just a guess but gotta happen sometime.
Actually Tesla is still waiting for the 'really huge' die cast machine. When that one comes online, part count will go down to 1. Just part of the magic that will happen at the Lathrop 'Distribution Center'.

Tesla is Turning to Diecasting in a Big Way | Foundry Mgmt & Tech

"Musk, however, provided some insight to the strategy driving its objective for such a machine. Interviewed earlier this year, he opined that automotive body design and manufacturing is fraught with inefficiencies because such assemblies involve multiple cast and/or stamped pieces welded or joined together. “When we get the big casting machine, it’ll go from 70 parts to one, with a significant reduction in capital expenditure on all the robots to put those parts together,” Elon Musk explained in a podcast."​

Cheers!

Please buy a Tesla car, Solarglass roof and/or Powerwalls with some of the proceeds. TIA :)

Ok total conjecture but I'm going out on a limb and guessing there will be 2 trucks revealed.

Aside from Elon mentioning they could make a more conventional truck, my main reason is due to the original image and Elon's remarks.

In the original image, the Tesla Truck was so big it was carrying a traditional truck in its bed. Elon also mentioned that it is huge.

This is not a conventional sized truck. Not one that could fit inside a garage.

No way the $50k truck is that behemoth.

There are 2 trucks.

I agree in principle. I just can't see how they will do this. It would be entirely out of character for Tesla or Musk to second guess their own decision.
Also, what is widely seen as doubtful at first is gradually taken up as genius. The 'CyberTruck' concept, with massive 'first principles' features of 'what a truck should be' will eventually win over even the deepest skeptic. They will see that that is indeed 'what a truck should be'.
However, there may be some way of introducing middle ground as a transition. So far I can't see what it would be.

Actually Tesla is still waiting for the 'really huge' die cast machine. When that one comes online, part count will go down to 1. Just part of the magic that will happen at the Lathrop 'Distribution Center'.

Tesla is Turning to Diecasting in a Big Way | Foundry Mgmt & Tech

"Musk, however, provided some insight to the strategy driving its objective for such a machine. Interviewed earlier this year, he opined that automotive body design and manufacturing is fraught with inefficiencies because such assemblies involve multiple cast and/or stamped pieces welded or joined together. “When we get the big casting machine, it’ll go from 70 parts to one, with a significant reduction in capital expenditure on all the robots to put those parts together,” Elon Musk explained in a podcast."​

Cheers!
Talking out of speculation... assuming CyberTruck gets this unibody (frame not body), it could help with aligning the rest of the vehicle with more precision. Maybe enough to make a watertight truck that could go into water? (Hopeful.) It would be so heavy, it might drive along the bottom of a nasty river. Video of this please!

The S protects us from airborn/fire debris, and now... CyberTruck protects us from Floods to keep you safe and dry.

All speculation, maybe real.

Reactions: SpaceCash and kbM3
Tesla on Twitter

From 8-10 seconds, you can see some sort of door opening under the light bar
J.J. Abrams called, he wants his lens flare back.

Elon said "Tesla Cybertruck (pressurized edition) will be official truck of Mars". So I guess airless tires will be an option.

You can use air filled tires on Mars, gauge pressure stays the same. Temperature tolerance (and change in pressure due to light/ dark) could be an issue.
Lunar Rover wheels were cool: NASA, Goodyear replicate lunar rover tire | collectSPACE