Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the catastrophic impact of carbon emissions from flying, and no immediate prospect of pollution-free flights any time soon, as climate change inevitably gets worse, I suspect many governments will go further in financially encouraging people not to fly, especially if it becomes common for people to have FSD.
Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen. The airline business is really tough. And robust air service is seen as vital in any developed country. I'm afraid that governments will actually do the opposite and prop up those businesses if needed.

I dont think you can extrapolate from the US as to how global politics will respond to climate change. I'm in the UK, which is a climate-change denying hellscape compared to much of Europe, and we are tons better than the US.
Take a look at China's rollout of high speed rail, and its amazing progress on solar and wind. Actually wind energy in the UK is often the largest source of electricity here.
The USA is, sadly, an outlier for being determined to ignore climate change and hope it goes away...
But to get back to investment stuff, the US is not the majority of the world. Even if it continues to turn a blind eye to short haul flights, other countries will not, especially Europe and China. FSD is definitely going to have an impact there. France has already enacted a law that outlaws short haul flights were less damaging options exist. Others are bound to follow.

There are also people who, regardless of govt policy, will avoid flying. If I was to go to Scotland again, I'd never fly. I'd get a sleeper train, or preferably, let my Tesla do the drive.
I've heard it said, "In the US, people are afraid of the government. In Europe, the government is afraid of the people."

Movements like eXtinction Rebellion and Fridays For Future have found some success in Europe. In the US, not so much.

I think Europe is leading the world in climate action. China is doing some things right. US politics is too divided to get much done. The IRA was a legislative miracle, but it's a nasty compromise and not the kind of legislation we really needed.

Overall, no large nation is doing what really needs to be done. The hope of meeting the goals of the Paris agreement is almost down to zero.

Given the catastrophic impact of carbon emissions from flying, and no immediate prospect of pollution-free flights any time soon, as climate change inevitably gets worse, I suspect many governments will go further in financially encouraging people not to fly, especially if it becomes common for people to have FSD.

Fortunately, short-haul regional flights will be the first to go electric. Here's one company in the flight testing phase of development with 250 NM range. If they can adopt Tesla's attitude toward manufacturing efficiency this project might really ... take off. :cool:

Intercontinental flights are the ones that will call for lighter, energy-dense batteries, as well as lightweight, efficient motors to make those distances and loads feasible.

• Informative
Reactions: CatB and Thumper
Hadn't seen this posted yet- S/X dropping support for Steam in new deliveries (likely downgrade of the MCU to match the cheaper part used in 3/Y that never had steam support)

A little surprising ahead of the RT unveil as some folks were presenting in-car high end gaming as a pro-RT feature so you'd think they'd look to expand, not contract, on such offerings.
It could also be that they looked at how many people use the Steam functionality, and, it is actually not very many at all. (guessing)