Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, all things being equilateral, I think the Cybertruck is a huge success.

While we scramble to try and guesstimate the order numbers, I’ve been struck by the number of people here placing orders, my gut feeling is that it’s higher than we had for MY.

Having read every post, I had the initial impression that people hated it, but it became apparent that this is a minority of members with repetitive posts; overall we are loving it (after the initial shock, of course).

The reaction on Twitter is very positive too, lots of buzz.

I'm not sure its a truck. It has a bed, but it doesn't look particularly functional. It may be more like the Rivian pickup. Not really intended to be used like a truck.

As someone who until just recently (due to repair costs) owned a pickup truck, I could not disagree with you more, on every single aspect of your statement. It looks ridiculously functional, in every regard, from towing to bed usage to offroading.

Sooooo... boys and girls. With Tesla and Elon never a boring day.

With Elon, every day's a boring day.

2019-0415-9536e.jpg

The Cybertruck is 230.9 inches long and sports a 149.9-inch wheelbase with a 6.5-foot-long, 57-inch-wide bed out back.

Tesla Cybertruck vs. 2021 Rivian R1T: Electric Trucks Compared - MotorTrend - Motor Trend

Thank you! Which would be 5.87 metres long and 145 cm wide bed. For us with metric brains.

The TCT builds a bit with the bed frame and then the wheel arches and finally the wheels outside the arches. So about 175 cm wide judging from the pictures of the truck bed. Or 69 inches.

Edit: Seems my estimate might be a bit off when my TMX is 78.7 inches or 199 cm wide...so more data needed.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
So like I said I must be old. Showed it to my kids this morning and they are doing backflips. They want one immediately. Even showed them the windows breaking, and they very reasonably said, eh you could fix that and still stronger than regular glass.

I think generational divides are going to be very apparent here. As I digest, I am starting to feel like this will be a spectacular seller and that Tesla is changing the game right before our eyes.

Honestly, if you saw it in a movie you would think it is ridiculously cool and wish it existed. Now it does and most people just have no idea what to think.

So like I said I must be old. Showed it to my kids this morning and they are doing backflips. They want one immediately. Even showed them the windows breaking, and they very reasonably said, eh you could fix that and still stronger than regular glass.

I think generational divides are going to be very apparent here. As I digest, I am starting to feel like this will be a spectacular seller and that Tesla is changing the game right before our eyes.

Honestly, if you saw it in a movie you would think it is ridiculously cool and wish it existed. Now it does and most people just have no idea what to think.
How many 4 x 8 plywoods and 16' 4 x 4's have your kids ever loaded?

• Funny
Reactions: Tslynk67

Well said.

I for one don't like how the Cybertruck looks, but then I don't find ANY pickup truck pleasing to the eye, be it a 'classic' truck or a Hummer or a Bollinger.

The fact that some people go crazy over those last two vehicles, is enough proof for me that there is a market for the Cybertruck, I'm just not part of that market.

As long as the truck doesn't take too much Capex to make it a reality and sell it at a profit, I could care less. Model Y and 3 + Tesla Network + Tesla Energy is why I'm invested.

Thank you! Which would be 5.87 metres long and 145 cm wide bed. For us with metric brains.

The TCT builds a bit with the bed frame and then the wheel arches and finally the wheels outside the arches. So about 175 cm wide judging from the pictures of the truck bed. Or 69 inches.

Edit: Seems my estimate might be a bit off when my TMX is 78.7 inches or 199 cm wide...
Yeah, try adding TWO 30 cm wide tyres, and maybe a few extra cm for clearance and fender flares.

Reactions: UncaNed

Yes, I think I must be getting to the point where I have accumulated a certain aesthetic bias over the years. From the looks of posts here I am in the minority and that is great as I hold a relatively large number of shares. Admittedly, the picture with the camping add-on looks great. I'd love to see them take this thing out and get some real world shots of it doing some heavy lifting (or camping).

Finally, please Tesla... come out with a statement noting 50k+ order numbers inside of 24hrs. ;-) Let's put some pressure on Ford/GM/Chrysler; make them sweat.

• Informative
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
My God that is an ugly ****ing truck. Let's be honest - its a triangle on wheels. Very little subtlety, those angular wheel recesses are disjointing. Good angular cars like the deLorean have some subtle curves to make them nicer. It is such a shame they bungled the form so much cause everything else is pretty amazing.

I know some people will like it, the people with bad taste. I didn't care about any of the other missteps like 420 or pedo or anything else, but for me this is their biggest misstep because it show a core weakness in design aesthetics and how designs are chosen. The Berlin design center cannot come soon enough. Elon should take a tour around some of the car museums in Germany like the Stuttgart Mercedes Museum. There is so much beauty in that museum, that most the modern Mercedes look ugly in comparison.

I think there might be too many yes men at Tesla if this is what they put out. It just seems like such a lazy design which they cobbled together - welding flat sheets of metal together. I'm actually annoyed about the whole thing. I doubt it will have any significant long term effect on the SP, but seriously, anyone who likes this truck should know they have zero taste and feel bad about themselves.

Elon said if people don't like it he will put out a more standard looking Truck so there is that...

Sooooo... boys and girls. With Tesla and Elon never a boring day. Unfortunately was unable to watch the reveal live (sleep is important) but holy moly that was something else. My initialt thought was naturally that both the truck and the quad are designed for Mars use, but might be very useful on Earth as well. I'm torn and time will tell, I'm thinking likely time will tell that this is a misstep at the current time back here in the real world. It seems Tesla's core mission - to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing compelling mass market electric cars to market as soon as possible - is being highjacked by Elon's obvious goal of colonizing Mars (SpaceX, Solar, the Boring company are already blatantly in service of this mission).

This was Elon's own quote on the Model X at the reveal of that vehicle: "I think we got a little carried away." and then during the earnings call: "The mistake we made with the Model X, which I really think we have taken to heart at Tesla, is that we put too many new features and technologies, too many great things all at once into a product. In retrospect, it would have been a better decision to do fewer things with the first version of the Model X and then roll in capabilities, and features, and new technologies over time, in subsequent years," Musk said. "So I do think there is some hubris there with the X."

Well thankfully, no sign of hubris here... right..?
Well, if those specs at those prices are real, you won't need hubris.