Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely the breaking of the glass during the demo was amateur hour, and has been so during much of Tesla's 10+ years of existence, with Elon getting a solid C- grade for "public presentation performance".

Tesla is a success despite all that, and this embarrassment won't change that either. Tesla engineering has at times been "driven by embarrassment": the Model 3 panel gaps now exceed German premium car panel gap metrics.

I'm wondering when Elon is finally going to discover that other introvert tech execs are using ... professional coaches to prepare for presentations, with excellent results. Giving good presentations is a technology in essence, one which Elon should eventually acquire. ;)
The nicest thing about Elon's presentations is that they come across as genuine rather than "sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a rigged demonstration".

I really liked the Rivian:

rivian-r1t-driving-forest-1024x701.jpg

But got wooed by this beauty:

Tesla-Cybertruck-Electric-Pickup-Truck-Front-3-4-View-with-Off-Road-Lights-and-Headlights-Illuminated.jpg

giphy.webp

I guess the Rivian will be for the traditional folks and I wish them huge success, but to my eye it looks obsolete.

Tesla have brought a new design-language to the table here, same as they did with the M3 dashboard, you'll begin to see others copying soon, trust me.

And don't get spooked by pre-market. This is shorty trying to create a "flop" narrative before the opening bell. May they roast in hell.

Fun Fact: The Tesla / SpaceX Truck will only weight 1,000Kg on the surface of Mars :D

View attachment 479906
Wait, what's the source for that? Because by that, at 38% of Earth gravity, it'll be 2632 kg, or 5802 lbs, for a GVWR of 9301 lbs (pushing it into Class 2b, into competition with the F-250).

Absolutely. That’s why I said in my original post that that’s what FSD is for. There’s actually a big debate on in Europe at the moment regarding pedestrian safety with regards ever higher bonnets/hoods. Looking again at the Cybertruck, though, looks like the front is lower (?) than on a traditional truck. Possibly means it’s safer for pedestrians - but I’m no expert in this.
Here's a comparison I did with a F-150 SuperCrew 6.5' bed overlaid (both vehicles centered on the front wheel) - note that this is a 2WD version, the 4WD version is 1.6" taller:

CybertruckF150.png

(Edit: looking back over the specs, my scaling factor isn't right - the F-150 is supposed to be taller. I'm suspecting perspective issues, or maybe the Tesla suspension being set higher than the default that gives it 75" height.)

So, the leading edge of the nose is lower, but not much lower (than the 2WD truck). If you get scooped up, you'll have a smoother surface, but the front end will be quite high, so you're unlikely to get scooped up.

However, pedestrian safety regulations in vehicle crash design don't exist in the US, where this is oriented. And, even in Europe, it'll have a gross weight rating of over 3500 kg, pushing it into a class where AFAIK the pedestrian regs don't exist (and also requiring special driver licensing - that isn't required in the US until 26,001 lbs).

I've not yet caught up with overnight posts so perhaps someone has already suggested this possibility.

Like the radical appearance or not, I don't think many will deny the whole package is bad ass. There will be plenty of high cost pickup truck owners who will buy for the features AND the attention that comes from driving something radical and new. These first wave owners will be showing their bullet proof Futurama trucks to all their friends who would love the performance but don't want to stick out that much.
What if the Cybertruck master plan is to introduce a modestly less radical exterior after first 2 - 3 years of production? This less radical version would release a demand coiled spring that could dramatically upend the U.S. pickup truck market. Presumably at a future date when factories exist to produced half a million a year.

This is why I desperately want to see a toned down final product. If they can keep the engineering and battery gains while only slightly moderating what is a very polarizing design then I believe it really is game, set, and match. I feel they are sooo close here to hitting this out the park, but have gone a little too far.

I can understand your take and have thought so in the first few hours after the unveil. But now I am totally in awe of the guts Franz et al. have shown by really following the "form follows function" line. Just think of how much this thing offers, seats 6, air suspension with incredible specs. Off-road capability of the charts (speculation.. but the angles, electric drive train Triple Motor etc. will sure help). 110/240 electric outlet, air compressor, tailgate as a ramp (!) bulletproof exoskeleton, this thing is technically a light armored truck ! I would be shocked if this truck does not sell like hotcakes, despite looking outlandish (in a cool way IMO).

To me it is clear that it is easier and cheaper to manufacture with straight panels in stainless steel with no paint or stamping. But all of these engineering tradeoffs are at the expense of aesthetics.

They are not. They are at the expense of what you believe to be the one and only acceptable norm of aesthetics.

Straight panels, glass, metal and straight angles are perfectly aesthetic for the most expensive consumer product you can buy today, homes:

Bauhaus-Japanese-Design-Kedem-Shinar-01-1-Kindesign.jpg

Because, in large part, form follows function.

Why shouldn't it be fine for the second most expensive consumer product, cars?

Imagine a world where you could only buy round homes, manufactured more expensively:

round-home.jpeg

There's plenty of space for both styles.

You just have get used to it - or don't: no-one is forcing you to. :D

This is why I desperately want to see a toned down final product. If they can keep the engineering and battery gains while only slightly moderating what is a very polarizing design then I believe it really is game, set, and match. I feel they are sooo close here to hitting this out the park, but have gone a little too far.

When it was becoming increasingly clear from the teasers that it was going to be angular, here's the sort of aesthetic I was hoping to see:

latest

Not that specific design - Batman's tumbler is an aero, rolling, and functionality nightmare. But it has a "cool despite being angular" look to it.

Or if we want a more real-world example, this sort of aesthetic.

F-117_Nighthawk_Front.jpg

I'm trying to figure out what it is from the appearance that makes the above more attractive than this:

tesla-cybertruck-electric-truck-elon-musk.jpg

... and I think that it's things like seeing a large number of diverging angles and more dramatic lighting contrasts due the angle relative to the light source. That's why you normally include things like style lines.

Obviously they can't stamp in aesthetic changes (the easy way), but they could alter the folding pattern. A couple extra creases here and there won't break the budget.

Lastly: to anyone upset about the looks, trust me: it could always be worse. Way, way worse. ;)

r5aLC.jpg

I’m pretty sure Elon blurred out Holy F- when that first window smashed.

Could this be the first product reveal in history featuring a CEO dropping F-bombs as they beat the hell out of the product on stage?
This is pretty much what they are doing to whole image of a truck. What CEO has the steel balls to do this to their trucks! Elon is destroying all truck makers in effigy. Hard core trucks are supposed to be the vehicle you're not afraid to beat up. Tesla has literally taken a sledgehammer up against the pampered cream puffs the pickup truck has become. Like I said no other CEO has the steel balls to smash windows at a truck unveiling.

Yes I agree. My first impression during the presentation was revulsion, which later turned to confusion. Now after the reading all the articles and looking through the photos, I really like it!

I am sceptical whether middle America will buy it which I guess is the big Q

“Fly over” care about utility and cost. IMHO once the deets on the specs and real world use cases are made clear, I think we are gonna be real surprised at the take rate.

An earlier post pointed out that ag guys don’t by a combine for its looks. Additionally, next gen AG folks are much more likely to warm up.

Short sighted, no imagination, 0 risk WS “investors” have no capacity to understand that yet another mold has just been broken here.

Not a lot of folks even broaching the subject of what this presentation says about battery investor day.

“It’s the batteries stupid”
Fire Away!