Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please tell me, the busiest compressed driving season is upon us and getting ALL charging stations working at least on interstates was not a priority.

The videos of lines of Teslas waiting to charge this busy travel holiday, are hitting various forums.

Rapid EV adoption brings queues at some EV chargers on Thanksgiving weekend - Electrek
It's being broadly shared in France too. For the latest 2 years, the only reasons several friends of mine didn't get a Tesla was this very fear (not being able to arrive in time somewhere for a work or family event). I've tried to explain that this should become less and less common (with soon to be installed V3 notably) but this kind of failure and the huge media exposure is a big set back.

Don't know this guy, but I think he brought an interesting point re: Tesla branding

You can start watching @4:10, before that is a rehash.
Nice youtube but some false concerns raised. For instance, pedestrian safety. I can't conceive of a pedestrian actually damaging this vehicle no matter what speed he/she was hit.

(ok, a bit of grim gallows chuckles)

That's a nice one if you want maximum leverage for events until January 17, which includes Q4 deliveries but not the Q4 earnings report.

The $320 strikes are still in the "maximum leverage" sweet spot for call options, which currently stretches from about $300 to $370. The leverage ratio is about 1:10 there, it takes about +10-13% move up in TSLA to double the value of these options.

I believe @KarenRei is trading a similar scheme, with higher strike prices - if the bet works out the options can be rolled over into higher strike prices, to keep it within the sweet spot.

(If the price drops the money is all but gone, so this is not advice. :D)

I'm in June '20 spreads (360-420) and September '20 spreads (mainly 380-450 and 400-500). When the price goes up, I roll from the spreads that have the highest-delta on their upper end, to the furthest OTM furthest-future spreads that I'm in (or if they're getting too expensive, I open up a new spread at higher strikes). If the SP goes down, or you near option expiry, the nice thing about spreads is that you can keep reselling the upper end of the spread at increasingly lower prices - and of course, they suffer from higher theta than the lower end of the spreads. :)

I'd love to be in shorter-term spreads, as I'm really excited about this quarter, and have been since even before the Q3 ER. But I've gotten burned really badly previously by not leaving myself enough time value to account for temporary market stupidity. On the other hand, I don't go even further out into the future because the strike prices I'd want to buy at would be so high that there'd be a risk of losing everything in a (very unlikely) go-private event. I'd much rather that only the sold calls on the upper end go worthless ;)

Last edited:
Don't know this guy, but I think he brought an interesting point re: Tesla branding

You can start watching @4:10, before that is a rehash.

LOL, that's what I said when I picked up the car last year:

Screenshot_20191202-102203~2.png

That's a nice one if you want maximum leverage for events until January 17, which includes Q4 deliveries but not the Q4 earnings report.

The $320 strikes are still in the "maximum leverage" sweet spot for call options, which currently stretches from about $300 to $370. The leverage ratio is about 1:10 there, it takes about +10-13% move up in TSLA to double the value of these options.

I believe @KarenRei is trading a similar scheme, with higher strike prices - if the bet works out the options can be rolled over into higher strike prices, to keep it within the sweet spot.

(If the price drops the money is all but gone, so this is not advice. :D)

Right. I looked at the profit/loss graphs at expiry for Jan. 17 call options with different strike prices, assuming a fixed amount invested (i.e. more of the riskier, cheaper options versus fewer of the less risky and potentially less profitable ones). For each pair of strike prices one can then find the SP where the profit lines cross. I then concluded that 320$ offered the best balance between risk and reward, compared to cheaper, potentially more profitable (at higher SP) but also more risky ones.

I should add that the amount involved would not even buy me a single share of TSLA (because I do not have the funds to add more shares), so this is an alternative way of trying to play the market, and hopefully understand the options trading better.

It's being broadly shared in France too. For the latest 2 years, the only reasons several friends of mine didn't get a Tesla was this very fear (not being able to arrive in time somewhere for a work or family event). I've tried to explain that this should become less and less common (with soon to be installed V3 notably) but this kind of failure and the huge media exposure is a big set back.

In reality, what percentage of Superchargers had this issue?

Do we literally have to get to the point where no Supercharger site, anywhere, ever, gets overcrowded?

I mean, one should always strive to avoid it, but does the failure rate have to be literally zero?

In reality, what percentage of Superchargers had this issue?

Do we literally have to get to the point where no Supercharger site, anywhere, ever, gets overcrowded?
As we speak, very few videos of "available superchargers" are making the rounds.

I'm just saying that the videos of busy SC are reinforcing the (not-so-accurate) idea that EVs aren't ready for the mass market. Again, some of my friends and family are not buying EV (or Tesla, for that matter) although they really want to spend ~€90K every two years on a new vehicle. Just because of the fear of being stuck in line at a supercharger. Just sayin'!

Very few videos of "available superchargers" are making the rounds, right now. I'm just saying that the video of very busy SS are being shared widely to reinforce the (stupid) idea that EVs aren't ready for the mass market. Again, some friend and family who are happy to spend ~€90K every two years on a new vehicle are not buying EV (or Tesla, for that matter) because of the fear of being stuck in line at a supercharger. Just sayin'

Airports get really busy on Thanksgiving too .... cheers!!