Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd end up with what I have now. I chose a career that makes me about 40k a year. For a long time I thought I'd never own a home, and even retirement seemed far fetched. Now I have enough to buy my parents house outright. I might end up with enough to retire at 40 very soon. I can't believe it.
Put a Tesla roof on it!

I think of the 5 or so people I have spoken with who reserved the cybertruck, not one is a committed buyer. That is not much better than an anecdotal sample but I think it does suggest that trivial, returnable deposits should be discounted very heavily in sales forecasts.

I absolutely do discount the reservations based on small deposit size and the fact that it's returnable. Then I add in all the people who want it but will not reserve one 2 years in advance! The number of reservations can only be used as an indicator of demand. Actual demand, once the Cybertruck is here in the "flesh", will be much higher (even though 40-80% of the initial reservations will not turn into a sale).

That restriction is going to be there until the legislature changes it. As it is, the sale and paperwork needs to processed out of state (great for Ohio's tax revenue), but this agreement allows all other aspects (prep, inspection, delivery, service) to occur in Michigan. Sign the paperwork, send it to Toledo, they process and send it back, drive off with your car to register it. Doesn't impact buyer at all other that dealing with Sec Of State directly.

Key clarification which is different that the former "can't talk about sales" restriction:

Man I would be pissed as a resident of Michigan. How stupid does your state government have to be to literally give away tax revenue to neighboring states? The amount of stubbornness and stupidity here is mind boggling.

Ok, can I just say I feel I’m one the biggest lurkers on here, been reading nearly daily since I began investing 6 years ago, been an S owner for 4.5 years, and never post here... but as I sit on my flight from west coast to east cost with my coworker (who I convinced to invest a few years ago), and after the rough times of being down (A Lot), we’re now clinking mimosas glasses watching this beautiful movement of the stock this morning.

Cheers to all of you longs that stuck through it (including TT), we deserve this... been a long time awaiting.

I think you're missing the point here. The Cybertruck won't sell simply because it's a Tesla, it will sell because it'll be a great truck. Yes, it'll be a great truck because Tesla will ensure it is, but my point is that if Tesla makes junk, it won't sell. Existing trucks are junk. I know, I have a 2010 F-150. It only has 40K miles on it but it's junk compared to a Cybertruck.
Yes they're junk, but the CT is nowhere near a mainstream design. Nor is it what I think the "next thing" will look like. It's gonna sell on the engineering alone, in spite of the nuts design that maybe 2% of the market wants.
The price on such a beast wouldn't be favorable, especially compared to a Cybertruck. Tesla can outcompete because they are vertically integrated. If Toyota has to buy the skateboard from Tesla, they are purchasing the most valuable part of the truck. Toyota would be reduced to building the frame and body. And the Cybertruck has a better and cheaper frame/body. The Tacoma EV with a Tesla skateboard can't compete. There is no point in even making such a monster.
You're way too focused on marketshare and domination. Elon's plan isn't to own every segment, he wants to accomplish a mission. Best move from here is to get others(or force others) to take this whole thing to scale. That can include non-traditional Elon moves like selling a very basic skateboard(with zero FSD hardware) to Toyota so they can put out half a million EV trucks far faster than Tesla could alone.

We're scaling(not Tesla, the entire EV market). Time to delegate!

Schedule some accountants and lawyers to interview. 3 each and pick one of each. You'll be needing them. Not talking about the $40 walmart type.

Congrats to longs! I went in with a few hundred k in my 401k and now over 7 figures! The rollercoaster was def emotional at times, but honestly it's fun and peaceful to be a winner. I sold a few teslas to my neighbors in the process :).

I have never made this kind of gain before in stocks, so also interested to learn more though my stuff is all in 401k and I can't touch it for another 25 years or so...not looking forward to paying taxes in my old retirement age!

As a two time Volt buyer I can say nobody was “selling” them. You had to know which dealers had them, most only had one, and you always knew more about it than anyone at the dealership. The engineers did a good job, GM needed to make it fail. I have two somewhat early CT reservations and wish I had more (my dad and brother are going to have to fight for one). The demand for that truck is going to be through the roof.
To add to this GM’s 2020 halo car is a mid engine ICE car, not a tri motor plug in hybrid with 100 miles of EV range, they killed the Volt and the Bolt is a wierdmobile. F GM.

Do you have any advice for the new TSLA millionaires?

I had to deal with "sudden wealth syndrome" early in my life with MSFT, SBUX and (especially) QCOM. Although it was much more dramatic than anything I see here (short of those who put oversized bets on highly leveraged TSLA options last year).

My biggest advice, don't do much differently, especially at first. Sure, if you are living in a dump and your roof leaks and you're driving a beater, fix those things. But don't go overboard. The key is to enjoy life. And we have plenty of tales of people who won the lottery, $10 million and above, the amount to the upside of that doesn't matter, they still blew through it very fast while simultaneously having a huge falling out with family and friends and sometimes ending up with alcohol or drug problems. So, if you only have $2-$4 million it can happen just as fast. Remember, you still have to pay cap gain taxes on any sales so plan for that if you want to sell some to rebalance or upgrade things in your life.

Being a "millionaire" ain't what it used to be. The fact of the matter is, $10 million is the new $millionaire.

Also, don't tell people. The desire to have someone to relate to about all this is strong but it's almost always a mistake to let people know how much your financial position has changed. And it really shouldn't matter so you shouldn't tell them.

This is again based on the single, unconfirmed reddit post:
Model Y deliveries confirmed for next month! : TeslaLounge

PS. It appears that the Canadian media outlet spoke to other Model Y order holders from the area. These had gotten calls from the same Tesla store but only to confirm the order, not giving any indication of when delivery may happen. So still based on just a report of a single phone call.

Yup agreed; it seems really premature but thought I'd check with @Ggusev just in case!

Do you have any advice for the new TSLA millionaires?

Oh ya, forgot the most important.

Continue living the same way for a while (6 months or more) or until protections are in place for the fund. Be it extra authentication, a will, or a successor holder for the acct or power of attorney.

The hardest part is holding it in. Any talk of success will just make you appear an asshole. And it's not something that can be retracted once you tell one person as it'll spread. But most won't believe this will happen to them anyway.