Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guess they are going to bury them in all that sand. :D

My buddy lives in Raleigh, NC and sent me these two photos back on Jan 27th. Appears to be mostly 3s staged at a parking lot at a Costco (or perhaps BJ's Wholesale, can't recall).
RGH-2019-01-27-143559.jpg RGH-2019-01-27-143653.jpg

A few days ago I asked him for an update and he said the lot was empty (sadly, no follow up pics).

I assume most Tesla locations are like the one I've visited in Cherry Hill, NJ; the adjacent lot is just big enough for customers and deliveries for that day. Any additional cars need to be staged at some other nearby location.

It's also one of the great things with Mac OS, the interface evolves, but very few major changes, moving between versions is pretty painless - not to mention that it's free too :)
Until the latest release, to which vast numbers of older machines cannot upgrade to, for no good reason other than trying to force more sales of newer machines. We have a large number of Macs as workstations at my office (myself I am on a PC, and the developers are all running Ubuntu on their macs, though). Almost none of them can be upgraded. Which also means MANY apps cannot be updated, because they depend on the newer OS - this includes third party apps. Windows is doing a much better job of supporting older hardware at the moment.

• Informative
Reactions: Lessmog
Great graph. Only for the US though. BYD is huge in China.
I don't have a nice graphic and this information is admittedly a bit dated, but the total EV market in China in 2017 was 37.06 GWh. Now, 39% was for EV buses and 23% was for "special use" leaving 38% for passenger vehicles. That means that in 2017 about 14 GWh was for EVs in an apples-to-apples comparison.[1]

A recent opinion piece on bloomberg appears to suggest that 76% of lithium-ion battery capacity resides in China -- but that doesn't speak to the fraction that are for EVs.[2]

All of which shows that Karen's 50% comment is supported by the data. And, while there are certainly other manufacturers attempting to build out capacity, Tesla is also expanding their production capacity. Quite honestly I think the fair assessment for the near term is that Tesla's market share of EV battery capacity will only continue to grow. Eventually others may reduce that lead, but I expect that to be at least five years down the road.

That last is just an opinion, but the current ~50% EV battery being Tesla is supported by facts.

1) Chinese 2017 Top 10 Companies for Installed Capacity in Battery Electric Buses
2) Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Until the latest release, to which vast numbers of older machines cannot upgrade to, for no good reason other than trying to force more sales of newer machines. We have a large number of Macs as workstations at my office (myself I am on a PC, and the developers are all running Ubuntu on their macs, though). Almost none of them can be upgraded. Which also means MANY apps cannot be updated, because they depend on the newer OS - this includes third party apps. Windows is doing a much better job of supporting older hardware at the moment.

Well that's the difference with a Mac and PC - the Mac can still be in good health when it's too old to be updated, a PC is junk after 3-4 years :p

Steve Jobs‏ @tesla_truth
Listening to TSLAQ podcast interview with @TeslaCharts. Amazing. He’s just some idiot. Some random guy. Never managed anyone’s money. No experience AND HE SELLS PUTS!!! What a fraud. $TSLAQ your leader has scammed you. All those puts you’ve been losing money on? TC sold em to ya

3:05 AM - 14 Feb 2019

1. New conversation

2. Steve Jobs‏ @tesla_truth 10h10 hours ago
      Let me spell this out for you, $TSLAQ 1. @TesIaCharts convinced you Elon is a giant fraud 2. You buy puts because Tesla is going down 3. TeslaCharts sells you those puts 4. When Tesla survives, and your puts expire out of the money, TC keeps your money 5. He fools you again

3. Steve Jobs‏ @tesla_truth 10h10 hours ago
      He also admits that he has at least one “friend” help him “when it gets busy”. That means he has a team of at least 4.

1. New conversation

2. Model 3 Owners Club‏ @Model3Owners 2h2 hours ago
      Replying to @tesla_truth @BarkMSmeagol @TeslaCharts
      Got a link so I can have a laugh?

3. Steve Jobs‏ @tesla_truth 2h2 hours ago
      Steve Jobs Retweeted Steve Jobs

Steve Jobs added,

Steve Jobs @tesla_truth
      Episode-9 TeslaCharts Interview Part 1 … start at about 2:30 and listen for a minute to hear the part about him selling puts to his idiot friends. $TSLAQ, you’ve been had.
      0 replies0 retweets4 likes

End of conversation

1. New conversation

2. Vincent‏ @vincent13031925 4h4 hours ago
      Replying to @tesla_truth @TeslaCharts
      Are you saying that #babycharts is selling puts?! WTH ?! I thought he is extremely bearish about $TSLA

3. Steve Jobs‏ @tesla_truth 4h4 hours ago
      Yes Vincent that’s exactly right. @TeslaCharts will convince all the morons they need to short Tesla by buying puts. People are misled and deceived into putting their money into puts. Then behind the scenes @TeslaCharts sells them. knowing of course how his posts will affect

4. Steve Jobs‏ @tesla_truth 4h4 hours ago
      all the bears are screaming about what a giant fraud Elon is. Surprise surprise — the biggest fraud was @TeslaCharts. He convinced them to lose their money on a bad investment, and he pocketed it. Possibly criminal, especially since he admits the account was an “experiment”
Steve Jobs on Twitter

I assume most Tesla locations are like the one I've visited in Cherry Hill, NJ; the adjacent lot is just big enough for customers and deliveries for that day. Any additional cars need to be staged at some other nearby location.
This is true for most of the legacy dealers as well (around here). They have an off dealership lot where most of the cars are. It would be surprising if Tesla didn't do this with 3 - now that the vole has exploded compared to S &X. We are talking about 8k cars/month in US in Dec '17 vs 32k cars in Dec '18. No way the delivery centers can suddenly hold 4x the number of cars.

Reactions: colettimj
Privacy settings

Apparently Tesla wil (at least temporarily) will skip the final preparation of the Model 3’s in Zeebrugge, and this task will be transferred to the service centers. Due to the national strike yesterday the port of Zeebrugge was closed, and the 100 temp employees of ICO don’t need to return to work.

Tesla halts finishing cars in Zeebrugge, partly due to national strike
[Article in Dutch]

This strike could affect EU deliveries and Q1 numbers negatively.

Here is visualisation of my long logic as simple as I could. :)
We all noticed that SP didn't move much for almost 2 years.
Boy I can't say that for the value of the company.
We all know what progress Tesla made in last 2 years.
So the difference is actual my opportunity.
As long as Market illusion last I can buy shares of awesome company for very low price.
I'm not complaining to much about BS. Maybe I should say thx.
Ideal for me would be if such situation would last for some 10 years.
One day market will wake up and the share price will be launched far above the Value.
Then my logic would be under reconsideration.
Today is another day where I'm having fun on this long term journey with everything around what is happening.
If you are not to much focused on SP movement you will notice a life around. You have to love it! <3
BtW I'm winning each day because Value is increasing and SP do not! :)

View attachment 376896

It was another good day for TSLA long where the Value of the company is increasing and SP do not! :)

Short version: I believe sales of plug-in hybrids and EVs will rise sharply in Germany from 2019 on due to new regulations. This should greatly affect demand for the Model 3.

Long version:

Company cars/staff cars represent a huge part of new car sales in Germany: Private car purchases were only 33.1% in January, making company cars to be about two thirds of new car purchases.

For company cars, the company saves taxes in a few ways (look it up if interested), but the employee has to pay a special "company car tax" (noncash benefit), which is approximately halved for plug-in hybrids and EVs from January 2019 on.

The German magazine "auto motor und sport" explained why plug-in hybrids and EVs are very attractive compared to diesel cars for company cars/staff cars - for the employee and employer. Their example calculation for the BMW Active Tourer:

Active Tourer 225xe (plug-in):
List price: 39,650 Euros
Company cost (leasing+fuel+taxes): 7221 Euros per year
Noncash benefit (what the employee has to pay): 317 Euros

Active Tourer 220d (diesel):
List price: 38,750 Euros
Company cost: 7439 Euros per year
Noncash benefit: 619 Euros

317 instead of 619 Euros monthly payment for an employee is a big deal!