Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m only a dabbler in selling covered calls, and don’t know this for sure (so please research and gather other opinions), but my understanding from conversations with my conservative advisor who books the transactions I have done: the only time there is a risk of your shares being called away is on the expiration date, IF SP>strike price they will be called. You have the choice as the expiration date nears of buying them back, depends on price and prospects.

Fire that advisor. He is wrong.

Last edited:
Tomorrow I'll be breaking the golden rule that you should never borrow to invest! ;)

As I have no spare capital to buy additional stock at present, just for fun, and as an experiment I've decided to borrow £10,000 @ 3.1% for 5 years to invest in additional TSLA shares.

Repayments on the loan will be £179.94 pm. So a total cost to me of £10,796.37. This is easily affordable from regular income and will have no noticeable effect on my lifestyle. I do not advise anyone to do this, and you should never invest anything you can't afford to lose.

I'll be buying additional TSLA shares as of tomorrow, holding them in a UK ISA, (which is free of all tax), for at least the next 3 years and will periodically update on how I'm doing with this tranche of shares and whether or not it was a bad idea, lol!!

OK, Update time.

Actually decided to go with a £20k loan. So £359.88 pm, total cost of £21,592.74 if I run it the full 5 years.

Bought 30 TSLA just now at $844.20, total cost with fees, £19,805.50, leaving £194.50 cash on hand utilising the full £20k, 2019/2020 tax year, UK ISA allowance. :)

Let the fun begin...

Tesla's overall exposure to China is still not huge. I can understand why Apple is getting hammered ... short term, but IMHO this just gives the Chinese government even more reason to hope for Tesla to succeed in order to help fuel their economy.

These are times where people can make fortunes ....

Cheers to the longs. It feels good to be in for a while now so the price action does not bother me one bit ... of course I'd rather we were way up but I'm confident this will be a bump in the road.

OK, Update time.

Actually decided to go with a £20k loan. So £359.88 pm, total cost of £21,592.74 if I run it the full 5 years.

Bought 30 TSLA just now at $844.20, total cost with fees, £19,805.50, leaving £194.50 cash on hand utilising the full £20k, 2019/2020 tax year, UK ISA allowance. :)

Let the fun begin...

Crazy how it has changed, my last core-shares purchase was 32 shares at $335 for €9800, that was on 4th December...

I’m only a dabbler in selling covered calls, and don’t know this for sure (so please research and gather other opinions), but my understanding from conversations with my conservative advisor who books the transactions I have done: the only time there is a risk of your shares being called away is on the expiration date, IF SP>strike price they will be called. You have the choice as the expiration date nears of buying them back, depends on price and prospects.
Technically he's wrong. I've had shares called early, and have exercised before expiry too, so someone had to get assigned.

And here we go. Let's see if this is a 2-3 week mini-correction or the beginning of a recession.

I choose to remain positive and am hoping for one more sweet window to short oil majors. Can't even imagine where they'll go this week.

After reading about Germany (with 15% labor in automotive), I smell recession triggered by virus, sustained by auto failures and layoffs. Just saying, I'm sure the smart money is deleveraging.

After reading about Germany (with 15% labor in automotive), I smell recession triggered by virus, sustained by auto failures and layoffs. Just saying, I'm sure the smart money is deleveraging.

No quite yet but may happen. So far consumer spending is high despite exports are weak. As long as consumers are happy we may not see a lot downturn but that sentiment can shift.

Unit sales for German Automakers is up in 2019 while profit is mostly down. Cost cutting measures are on the way to mitigate risks. In large markets like Germany where usually a ton of German cars are bought the BEV effect did not take place yet while everybody tells me thinking about BEVs a Tesla is the only real option. That comes even from big BMW fans I had arguments with now over many years.

Incentives are now 50% increased so it good moment to buy but many want rather the Y form factor than the 3.

ICE Economy for Auto will get worse from here though but depends what Tier you are working in. There are positive examples of Tier 1,2 suppliers that did invest heavily in BEV technology and may be well prepared while others follow the BMW strategy.

First layoffs, bankruptcies and short work announcements did happen but I expect much more once Tesla is able to deliver real volume.

Ships in Q1 2nd week are more than ever into Europe which gives me hope that we will see strong numbers in Q1 on my home continent.

China may be not so bad if they ramp from now on and USA may be able to built on the strong 2019 results with more people expose to a Tesla.

Q1 may have some positive surprises but I actually like that everybody reports that Q1 will be bad... :D

Snagged a 4/17 1800 call for the lotto win!

And I got myself a 5/15 $1880 lotto, paid for by the 5x2/28 $1250 I sold last week for $1500

Essentially I took the furthest OTM at the latest date I could get for the money.

No plans to buy other call(s) at this stage - the 2021's are way too expensive still. And weeklies are too risky today as I would expect a rebound from this tomorrow and Wednesday as common-sense comes back into fashion.

Reactions: SOULPEDL